PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe Fewell said this

Ickybaluky
10-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Fewell said, talking about the run defense (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20091024/SPORTS03/310250006/1021/Buffalo+Bills+know+run+defense+needs+fixing):

"You know what?" Fewell continued. "They beat us on two plays. We screwed up on two plays (Jones had back-to-back runs of 64 and 71 yards). By the time we got that corrected, we were fine. We had two plays. Am I embarrassed? No. Hey, I thought our guys continued to fight. Did I want to give up 300 yards? No. We did, but you know what? We imposed our will and we won the football game, bottom line."

Imposed their will? Even if you take away those two long runs (and I hate that, because you can't take them away), the Jets still ran 38 times for 183 yards (4.8 yards per rush). That's good?

Seriously, I understand people are harping on it, but the Bills are worst in the NFL in rush defense. They have given up the most yards and the highest average per rush (5.3). That isn't two plays.

I understand there have been injuries, but the guy is better off saying nothing.

Typ0
10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I have no problem with him recognizing the guys played hard. They have been playing hard. Rush defense is bad because our line needs some help but overall the defense has overcome that and done their jobs.

Nighthawk
10-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Fewell said, talking about the run defense (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20091024/SPORTS03/310250006/1021/Buffalo+Bills+know+run+defense+needs+fixing):

Imposed their will? Even if you take away those two long runs (and I hate that, because you can't take them away), the Jets still ran 38 times for 183 yards (4.8 yards per rush). That's good?

Seriously, I understand people are harping on it, but the Bills are worst in the NFL in rush defense. They have given up the most yards and the highest average per rush (5.3). That isn't two plays.

I understand there have been injuries, but the guy is better off saying nothing.

Welcome to the thinking of our mediocre coaches! This is how Dickey and that staff coach...they actually think they did something good, when in reality, they sucked and got lucky! I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but I hate this coach and coaching staff!

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Our defense isn't stellar by any stretch of the imagination, but it should be the least of our worries right now...

Well, it should be right above the fact that we have 2 good running backs.

BillsWin
10-24-2009, 10:50 AM
and yet defense has been a strength of the team this year. Our offense is anemic.

yordad
10-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I would fire Fewell based on his spoken expectation alone.

Oldbillsfan
10-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Even though you seem cool NE39 posting stuff like this is like a kick in the crotch, after its alredy been kicked a few times. Just my two cents. We know- they all suck, and there isn't anything we can do about it. We can bash our own team just fine.

Ebenezer
10-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Name a team that has played a solid passing game against the Bills this year? Brady for a half?

SquishDaFish
10-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Im overall happy with our Defense. Our offense is the problem.

TigerJ
10-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm not happy with the defense. They have to get better versus the run or that deficiency will contribute to a lot of losses.

SquishDaFish
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not happy with the defense. They have to get better versus the run or that deficiency will contribute to a lot of losses.

Its not that im happy with the Defense im happy the defense isnt also a huge problem along with the Offense. They are above average and hold us in most games (NO game most part) so if the offense would wake up then we be damn good.

Mad Bomber
10-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Name a team that has played a solid passing game against the Bills this year? Brady for a half?
Frank, you hit it on the head. Believe it or not, the Bills have the #4 passing defense in the league.

...Maybe that's because we have the worst running defense in the league. :ill:

Mad Bomber
10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Im overall happy with our Defense. Our offense is the problem.
I agree about the offense - it is truly OFFENSIVE.

I don't like our run defense at all.

Nighthawk
10-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Frank, you hit it on the head. Believe it or not, the Bills have the #4 passing defense in the league.

That is exactly why our passing defense is so highly ranked...why pass, when you can run all over us? There is a direct correlation.

The Juice Is Loose
10-24-2009, 12:29 PM
what's he supposed to say? yeah we sucked?

he's got to show confidence in his guys during the season. they are the squad, they aren't going anywhere (trade deadline is passed) so these are his guys he's got to ride with.

do you not think that the bills and their staff are thinking hey, if we win this week, we're right back in it at 3-4. thats only 2 games back in our division, and we just broke the ice with getting a division win, and a win vs. a 3-4. which have been hard to come by.

if your on the bills your believe this is a turning point for the team. if your not thinking that, you shouldn't be coaching.

and he's not gonna throw people under the bus mid season.

Ingtar33
10-24-2009, 12:29 PM
the run defense is primarily 2 things that are killing us...

1) the linebackers have been terrible with gap discipline.

2) the safeties have been terrible with gap discipline.

the line hasn't looked too bad overall, better then they have for the last 3 or 4 years atleast... the breakdown in the run defense has been (mostly) everything else.

SquishDaFish
10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
the run defense is primarily 2 things that are killing us...

1) the linebackers have been terrible with gap discipline.

2) the safeties have been terrible with gap discipline.

the line hasn't looked too bad overall, better then they have for the last 3 or 4 years atleast... the breakdown in the run defense has been (mostly) everything else.

Thats exactly what POZ was referring to on sirius about the guys overpursuing and if 1 guy is out of his gap then the RBs are so damn good in this league they will find that one gap.

TigerJ
10-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Absolutely true. The pass defense is doing some good things, but the reason teams are choosing to run the ball so frequently at the Bills, rather than passing, has less to do with fear of the Bills pass defense, and more to do with confidence they can keep running the ball and Buffalo can't stop them.

Ickybaluky
10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Even though you seem cool NE39 posting stuff like this is like a kick in the crotch, after its alredy been kicked a few times. Just my two cents. We know- they all suck, and there isn't anything we can do about it. We can bash our own team just fine.

Give me a break. I was making a post because I'm surprised the guy made that statement, so I opened the thread. Are you going to give me a list of things I can "safely" comment on without offending you? Believe me, there are plenty of times when I don't post things because I don't figure people need to hear from me. There are times, usually after a tough loss, where I refrain from saying something because people are upset and it isn't going to go over well. However, this is a Bills forum and I am posting something about the Bills. I don't see it as being controversial.

For the record, I don't think it is a talent issue, at least not most of it. The Bills have done a good job of playing pretty physical and with effort on defense, for the most part. They aren't the biggest defense, but they do have guys that can run and use that to their advantage. The offense hasn't helped them much, because their strengths would be more apparent if they had the lead or weren't on the field as much. I agree wholeheartedly it is guys not playing their assignments, either getting fooled and making bad reads or just plain not playing disciplined and over-running the play. That is correct-able.

However, I am amazed the team's DC would make a comment like that. I mean, what message is he sending? He is saying everything is fine. To look at the numbers, that is obviously not so and he shouldn't be sending that message to the team. It is fine to say guys are playing with effort, but he should say they have to play better. They all, coaches and players alike, need to do a better job. He can even express confidence they will, but don't try to say it isn't an issue.

Really, I'm amazed by that comment. It makes me wonder if the guy is in over his head.

yordad
10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
...Maybe that's because we have the worst running defense in the league. :ill:That wouldn't acct for them dishing out the worse passer rating in the league or the lowest yards per pass.

feldspar
10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Who have we played?

Brady had 378 yards.

Leftwich had 296 yards.

We did well against Brees, which was encouraging.

Then we played Henne in his first ever start...we made him look good.

We played Derek Anderson, who only attempted 17 passes, at least 7 of which were dropped.

Then we played the rookie Sanchez, who didn't really need too much help from us to look terrible.

We are like the anti-Cardinals, who are first in run defense and second last in pass defense. Why focus too much on one if the other is working so well? Allowing 5.3 yards per carry is terrible. That said, I do like our secondary. They are somewhat accountable for run-support too, though, aren't they?

ChristopherWalken
10-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I wish Jauron would impose the "Will" of his career and end this non-sense once and for all.

Oldbillsfan
10-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Give me a break. I was making a post because I'm surprised the guy made that statement, so I opened the thread. Are you going to give me a list of things I can "safely" comment on without offending you? Believe me, there are plenty of times when I don't post things because I don't figure people need to hear from me. There are times, usually after a tough loss, where I refrain from saying something because people are upset and it isn't going to go over well. However, this is a Bills forum and I am posting something about the Bills. I don't see it as being controversial.

For the record, I don't think it is a talent issue, at least not most of it. The Bills have done a good job of playing pretty physical and with effort on defense, for the most part. They aren't the biggest defense, but they do have guys that can run and use that to their advantage. The offense hasn't helped them much, because their strengths would be more apparent if they had the lead or weren't on the field as much. I agree wholeheartedly it is guys not playing their assignments, either getting fooled and making bad reads or just plain not playing disciplined and over-running the play. That is correct-able.

However, I am amazed the team's DC would make a comment like that. I mean, what message is he sending? He is saying everything is fine. To look at the numbers, that is obviously not so and he shouldn't be sending that message to the team. It is fine to say guys are playing with effort, but he should say they have to play better. They all, coaches and players alike, need to do a better job. He can even express confidence they will, but don't try to say it isn't an issue.

Really, I'm amazed by that comment. It makes me wonder if the guy is in over his head.

Dude I don't care what you post. You gave your opinion and I gave you mine. My point was we are perfectly capable of bashing our own team. We all know how badly the team is coached, it shows every Sunday. Your team is an example of what good coaching can do, and I am envious. Good coaching would have got us a long deserved win in week one. Uhhh, hey don't fumble here, ok?

Of course ding dong Fewell is in over his head. What he said dosent suprise me in the least. I have no idea why they can't correct gap control on running plays. To me they don't even look like they practice... Offense or defense. They don't know how to win, that's the biggest problem. That showed last week winning by default.

So what's up this weekend? the 0-6 Bucs who didn't even get to practice? Yawn...

billsburgh
10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
That is exactly why our passing defense is so highly ranked...why pass, when you can run all over us? There is a direct correlation.
that's why I cant figure out why the jets didnt run it every play. they would have easily won if they ran it more.

Ickybaluky
10-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Dude I don't care what you post. You gave your opinion and I gave you mine. My point was we are perfectly capable of bashing our own team. We all know how badly the team is coached, it shows every Sunday.

Ok, so I shouldn't post anything that can be taken as negative, because it is rubbing it in your face.

Anything else? How about a positive viewpoint that many Bills fans would not agree with? Like, if I were to say something positive about Edwards (who a lot of Bills fans are down on now), thinking he is a promising guy but is struggling due to losing confidence from playing in a simplified scheme with an inexperienced OL. However, I think he will turn it around eventually and is a guy you can win with.

If I say that, is it a backhanded slap? I appreciate your help with this, because the forum rules really don't cover these guidelines. This is great, thanks.

Also, when the Patriots suffer a down-cycle and lose, which is bound to happen eventually, does that mean I'm able to post anything critical about the Bills? How about if the Bills are like a .500 team while the Pats aren't as good, is it OK then or do the Bills have to be contending?

Thanks again for your help with this, you are the first one to reach out to me.

Oaf
10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
We gave em 13 points. We could give them 500 yards on the ground and be 35th against the run for all I care, I'll take the defense that gives up 13 points. It's not like defense has been our main problem this season.

Nighthawk
10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
that's why I cant figure out why the jets didnt run it every play. they would have easily won if they ran it more.

Exactly...their coach had a brain fart and it cost them a win.

Oldbillsfan
10-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, so I shouldn't post anything that can be taken as negative, because it is rubbing it in your face.

Anything else? How about a positive viewpoint that many Bills fans would not agree with? Like, if I were to say something positive about Edwards (who a lot of Bills fans are down on now), thinking he is a promising guy but is struggling due to losing confidence from playing in a simplified scheme with an inexperienced OL. However, I think he will turn it around eventually and is a guy you can win with.

If I say that, is it a backhanded slap? I appreciate your help with this, because the forum rules really don't cover these guidelines. This is great, thanks.

Also, when the Patriots suffer a down-cycle and lose, which is bound to happen eventually, does that mean I'm able to post anything critical about the Bills? How about if the Bills are like a .500 team while the Pats aren't as good, is it OK then or do the Bills have to be contending?

Thanks again for your help with this, you are the first one to reach out to me.

I told you it's not rubbing it in my face, its a kick in the groin. lol I'm not really offended, more envious. The Bills have been nothing but pain and suffering to watch the past decade. They can't put it together and do the simple things it takes to win because the crappy coaching. If it's not that they are ravaged by injuries without and quality backup players. Or they just lose in heartbreaking fashion, just like in week one.

At this point my expectations are so lowered just one win over the Pats would have me happy for 6 weeks. We almost had one, but...

The Pats won't have a down cycle, they have ownership that is committed to winning. It all starts at the top and that's why the Bills are a joke.

malo
10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree with NE39.

The defense hasn't been terrible. It's been ok. But it's far from imposing their will on anyone. I hear that I think of the 85 Bears. Not the 09 Bills.

I think this is a testament to the lack of candor and true sense of what it takes to win that this coaching staff has.

jamze132
10-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Fewell should be fired for accpepting mediocrity. Well what he actually accepts is well below mediocrity...

mybills
10-24-2009, 11:04 PM
"You know what?" Fewell continued. "we won the football game, bottom line."
:bf1:

malo
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM
"You know what?" Fewell continued. "we won the football game, bottom line."
:bf1:

That kind of attitude gets you to 7-9 at best.

mybills
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
That kind of attitude gets you to 7-9 at best.
truth hurts. Don't need a Pats fan to tell us.

Buffalogic
10-25-2009, 03:20 AM
We're like the colts D over the years. Super gouge run style but pretty good in the pass game.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Thats exactly what POZ was referring to on sirius about the guys overpursuing and if 1 guy is out of his gap then the RBs are so damn good in this league they will find that one gap.
Except for Marshawn, who always seems to run right at the nearest defender.

Novacane
10-25-2009, 08:09 AM

There is nothing to wonder about. He IS in over his head. Way over his head.

LooneyBin
10-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Fewell logic. Not surprising.

BertSquirtgum
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
i don't understand the point of this thread. he was right. the defense won the bills the game.

Griff
10-25-2009, 01:11 PM
did anybody else notice that we forced the Jets to run the ball 40 times? Since week 3, Henne has been the only QB to perform well against us.