PDA

View Full Version : Only one senior QB has caught my eye this year

Ingtar33
10-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Tim Hiller from Central Michigan.

The guy has all the tools. He needs to work on his footwork a lot, which will correct 90% of his other issues (they're all minor), but the kid has great vision, is asked to run a pro style passing attack (from the spread), has an absolute canon and throws a gorgeous deep ball.

When he steps into his throws properly he's the best looking senior QB i've seen in a long time... he reminds me a bit of Drew Bledsoe... only a little more mobile.

Out of everyone i've had a chance to see he's hands down the best one of the lot. no questions asked. Granted i've only seen him play 2 or 3 games. so this is a limited sample. If this kid has a good combine and senior bowl he'll be drafted in the first round, NFL teams won't be able to stay away from him.

Frankly, I would have liked to see some major improvement in his footwork from his junior to his senior year... even so, you can't ignore his vision, anticipation and pass selection are all first rate.

Raptor
10-25-2009, 01:41 AM
I wouldnt call his arm a cannon its good but its not elite or anything

Ingtar33
10-25-2009, 01:46 AM
I wouldnt call his arm a cannon its good but its not elite or anything

it looked elite to me. i've seen him throw some absolutely beautiful 20 yard outs... hardest pass to throw in the world... and that kid delivers them on a rope.

X-Era
10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Hiller is intriguing. But, he will look like Locker at times and make a pretty pass followed by an absolutely terrible one. Its almost like he has a nervous tick every now and again because he can look so bipolar with great accuracy and delivery on one pass and then an erratic pass right to the defender on the next.

He has very good presence in the pocket and most of the time makes good decisions. But like I said, he will look like a whole different person every now and then.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174138

Ingtar33
10-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Hiller is intriguing. But, he will look like Locker at times and make a pretty pass followed by an absolutely terrible one. Its almost like he has a nervous tick every now and again because he can look so bipolar with great accuracy and delivery on one pass and then an erratic pass right to the defender on the next.

He has very good presence in the pocket and most of the time makes good decisions. But like I said, he will look like a whole different person every now and then.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174138

it's his footwork... he doesn't set his feet right, and often won't step right when making the throw. his footwork gets worse the shorter the pass, the result is he'll throw some gorgeous passes then he'll skip a ball at the feet of his target.

he needs someone to work on his quarterbacking footwork. he had that and his completion % (which is something like 65%+) would go up 10 points. He gets scattershot with his passes due to the shotty footwork.

unlike Losman who came out of college with terrible footwork, plus happy feet... which i hated... Hiller doesn't have happy feat. he just doesn't know how to set his feet right. The result is sometimes he won't open his hips right when throwing to his left, or his hips will be too closed when he throws to his right, or he'll be leaning backwards throwing off a back foot... he does this sort of thing a lot.

of course Ben Rothlesburger and Brett Favre never learned proper footwork either, so its not a kiss of death.

Night Train
10-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Bill Stull of Pitt is looking better than any of the big name QB's who are waaay overrated. I like Tony Pike of Cinci before the injury but Stull looks poised and better than ANY of the name guys.

Draft Stull.

DraftBoy
10-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Hiller has size, arm strength, mechanics, and production.

That's all stuff you can't really teach. That's a really good base to start with.

methos4ever
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I like Hiller a little more than LeFevour and some of the others. Really, if the Bills are drafting a QB this year, I'd hope for it to be either Hiller or Skelton.

psubills62
10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Tim Hiller from Central Michigan.

The guy has all the tools. He needs to work on his footwork a lot, which will correct 90% of his other issues (they're all minor), but the kid has great vision, is asked to run a pro style passing attack (from the spread), has an absolute canon and throws a gorgeous deep ball.

When he steps into his throws properly he's the best looking senior QB i've seen in a long time... he reminds me a bit of Drew Bledsoe... only a little more mobile.

Out of everyone i've had a chance to see he's hands down the best one of the lot. no questions asked. Granted i've only seen him play 2 or 3 games. so this is a limited sample. If this kid has a good combine and senior bowl he'll be drafted in the first round, NFL teams won't be able to stay away from him.

Frankly, I would have liked to see some major improvement in his footwork from his junior to his senior year... even so, you can't ignore his vision, anticipation and pass selection are all first rate.

Thanks for the analysis, Ingtar. I hope you don't mind, I quoted you in the NCAA forum on bb.com. It's in a thread about players to look at for the next draft.

I'd love to know what your thoughts are on Daryll Clark. I know some of his more general negatives (makes some bad decisions, doesn't always play as well in big games), but I know nothing about his mechanics or anything.

I personally think Clark is a better passer than people give him credit for. He's got good mobility and I've seen him set his feet well even after rolling out. He's very calm in the pocket and will take hits right after throwing strikes. In my opinion, that's one of his best qualities: he always stands in and takes the hit if he knows that he can make the throw, which he almost always does. He doesn't really have happy feet, and while his long ball is hit or miss, it's been pretty accurate this year.

That's my assessment, and I'm very intrigued to hear your thoughts (and DB's) on him. It actually kind of pisses me off that draftcountdown.com has him listed under RB's...maybe he could be a RB, but he's not as much of a runner as Michael Robinson is at all.

Ingtar33
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Daryll Clark isn't much of a pro prospect. I can't claim i've seen him play a lot But i do know as far as what you want in a pro-qb he doesn't have it.

Listen... when you play college football there is a big difference between good and bad football teams. Penn State is a great football team. When Clack throws to a WR he's more often then not open by 5 yards or more.

When a WR is that wide open it hides some massive inaccuracies and arm strength issues. Clark doesn't have a good arm. he's not particularly accurate either. His strength is as a runner. He's at his best when Penn State runs the 1 read option plays.

In short. he's no one i would think about drafting for QB.

psubills62
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Daryll Clark isn't much of a pro prospect. I can't claim i've seen him play a lot But i do know as far as what you want in a pro-qb he doesn't have it.

Listen... when you play college football there is a big difference between good and bad football teams. Penn State is a great football team. When Clack throws to a WR he's more often then not open by 5 yards or more.

When a WR is that wide open it hides some massive inaccuracies and arm strength issues. Clark doesn't have a good arm. he's not particularly accurate either. His strength is as a runner. He's at his best when Penn State runs the 1 read option plays.

In short. he's no one i would think about drafting for QB.

Haha, I don't think you've been watching his throws this year then. His WR's are rarely that open.

Well, I guess I'd disagree with some of your points, but I won't push the envelope as you obviously have more experience in this field than I do.