PDA

View Full Version : To LT or QB?

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Looking ahead it seems there is much debate about whether we look at a franchise QB or elite LT in R1, and then reversing the selection in R2 on the assumption that Edwards cannot step up, and Bell lacks the ability to ever become elite.

Looking at the trends in the last couple of drafts it seems that teams are overpaying for Left Tackles - see Duane Brown (Houston) and Sam Baker (Atlanta) whilst QuarterBacks outside of the Top2 have slid.

In 2008, there were 6 LT taken (Long, Clady, Alberts, Chris Williams, Baker, and Brown) compared to 2 QB (Ryan and Flacco) whilst this year, more LT were again taken before QB.

If this trend continues would it make more sense to take that elite LT and then look to take a QB in R2 in what might be the deepest QB class since 2004?

DynaPaul
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
LT all the way. How can you throw or run the ball when your QB has no time and your RB has no holes to run through? We can get a QB at another time.

bigbub2352
10-26-2009, 02:05 PM
QB we need to drastically change our O

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I say draft the top QB, and bring in the best LT free agent. (Marcus McNeil)

There is no way that San Diego can keep both Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil.

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Our Tackles have potential, our QBs do not. :ill:

QB, all the way, 100%.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Our Tackles have potential, our QBs do not. :ill:

QB, all the way, 100%.

We need both. Without a LT, no QB especially a rookie QB will succeed.

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
We need both. Without a LT, no QB especially a rookie QB will succeed.Again, thankyou for clarifying. I guess I wasn't aware the Bills had two top 10 picks in the next draft. Silly me.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Again, thankyou for clarifying. I guess I wasn't aware the Bills had two top 10 picks in the next draft. Silly me.

Considering the depth at QB in 2010, a starter could be gained where we are likely to be picking in R2.

Even if we move into R1, someone like Joe Flacco or Aaron Rogers weren't Top10 picks

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Considering the depth at QB in 2010, a starter could be gained where we are likely to be picking in R2.

Even if we move into R1, someone like Joe Flacco or Aaron Rogers weren't Top10 picksI want to maximize all efforts towards getting the best QB prospect available. No half-assing this one.

BTW, you should have made this a poll.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Again, thankyou for clarifying. I guess I wasn't aware the Bills had two top 10 picks in the next draft. Silly me.

Listen man. If we pick at 12, draft a LT. Then move up between 21-25 and grab the QB of future. Hell, I'm okay if you reverse it and get the QB then the LT later in round 1 in trade up . I just don't think you can wait till RD 2 to get that LT as there's less depth at LT in draft compared to QB.

YardRat
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
BPA.

Regardless of where they're picked in the draft, we shouldn't just rely on rookies.

Upgrade LT and get a decent vet through FA, first and foremost.

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Listen man. If we pick at 12, draft a LT. Then move up between 21-25 and grab the QB of future. Hell, I'm okay if you reverse it and get the QB then the LT later in round 1 in trade up . I just don't think you can wait till RD 2 to get that LT as there's less depth at LT in draft compared to QB.I get what you are saying. But, there is no question in my mind QB is the bigger need. And, I highly doubt the best prospect is there at 25ish, and I doubt we trade up.

QB would be prioritized head and shoulders above anything else on my draft board. All efforts maximized.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
In the last 2 drafts there has been a significant run on LTs with more going before QBs

Looking at the draft who needs a QB?

Titans
Rams
Redskins
Browns
49ers
Panthers (R2)

Those needing a LT are likely to be

Buccaneers
Redskins
Chiefs
Lions
49ers
Seahawks
Cowboys
Packers
Cardinals
Patriots

I think they'll run out of LT before running out of QB

THATHURMANATOR
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
It is too early for this discussion.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
It is too early for this discussion.

Whatever :shoothead:

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
In the last 2 drafts there has been a significant run on LTs with more going before QBs

Looking at the draft who needs a QB?

Titans
Rams
Redskins
Browns
49ers
Panthers (R2)

Those needing a LT are likely to be

Buccaneers
Redskins
Chiefs
Lions
49ers
Seahawks
Cowboys
Packers
Cardinals
Patriots

I think they'll run out of LT before running out of QBWell, in that case, I hope that those teams that need a QB and pick prior to Buffalo opt for a tackle instead!

I mean, you are suggesting the Bills just risk being stuck with the 7th best QB prospect.

I don't know if you guys know, but one or two of these QBs will rise to the top of the cream, and I want the Bills there to scoop him.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I think Yordad the analysis needs to go

How much difference in talent and ability between the 1st and 7th rated LT compared to the 1st and 7th rated QB?

If there is little difference between the 3rd and 7th QB especially if juniors come out then the 7th ranked guy could be talented. It is after all a deep QB draft, the deepest since 2004 whilst the LT depth is maybe less than 2008 and 2009

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I see an opportunity to list some prospects that have impressed me lately, tell me what you guys think of the following:

Colt McCoy (There will never be another Payton Manning, but the way he articulates himself reminds me of him.)

Golden Tate (I may actually like him more than Clausen)

Jimmy Clausen (I'm pretty high on him, but I think I like McCoy the best of any QB in the class right now)

Brandon LaFell (Reminds me of Dwayne Bowe)

Terrence Cody (Reminds me of Shaun Rodgers or Kris Jenkins)

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I think Yordad the analysis needs to go

How much difference in talent and ability between the 1st and 7th rated LT compared to the 1st and 7th rated QB?

If there is little difference between the 3rd and 7th QB especially if juniors come out then the 7th ranked guy could be talented. It is after all a deep QB draft, the deepest since 2004 whilst the LT depth is maybe less than 2008 and 2009So, this must be the deepest QB class ever. Most drafts produce 1 or 2 franchise QBs, I guess this one has 7? Excuse me while I go celebrate.

Again, they may be grouped together now, but as usual, 1st and 7th will be very far apart come draft time.

Also, how much more talent and ability do these tackles have compared to the talent and ability of the ones we already have. Our's are talented, just inexperienced.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
So, this must be the deepest QB class ever. Most drafts produce 1 or 2 franchise QBs, I guess this one has 7? Excuse me while I go celebrate.

Again, they may be grouped together now, but as usual, 1st and 7th will be very far apart come draft time.

Nobody considered Drew Brees to be a franchise QB when he was drafted with the 40th selection.

Nobody considered Matt Hasselback to be a franchise QB when he went in the 6th.

There's a guy in New England .......

yordad
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Heck, if this draft is 7 deep in franchise QBs I say draft one in the 1st AND 2nd.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Bell currently makes Gandy look good

yordad
Nobody considered Drew Brees to be a franchise QB when he was drafted with the 40th selection.

Nobody considered Matt Hasselback to be a franchise QB when he went in the 6th.

There's a guy in New England .......OK, lets bank other couple years on a complete long shot. :shoothead:

PECKERWOOD
Alright, screw it. I'll do a quick mock, can't resist..

This is stupid, but I'm a fool for this kind of thing, it's still way too early..

Trade: Marshawn Lynch for a 2nd.

1.) Bryan Bulaga, LT, Iowa
2.) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
2.) Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
3.) (Unsure of who to take at this point, preferably a DT or linebacker)

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Alright, screw it. I'll do a quick mock, can't resist..

This is stupid, but I'm a fool for this kind of thing, it's still way too early..

Trade: Marshawn Lynch for a 2nd.

1.) Bryan Bulaga, LT, Iowa
2.) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
2.) Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
3.) (Unsure of who to take at this point, preferably a DT or linebacker)

R1) Bruce Campbell LT, Maryland - the most talented LT in the draft
R2) Pat Devlin QB, Delaware - cold weather QB with a howitzer arm, not a system QB
R2) Jared Odrick DE/DT Penn St - a 4-3 3-technique tackle or a 3-4 end
R3) Sean Lee LB Penn St

and Naathan Roosevelt WR could be a Day3 steal in the 5th or 6th round. Last year he had 104catches for 1402yds and 13touchdowns

PECKERWOOD
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I understand people don't like McCoy because of the offense he's played in, but the same should be said about Bradford, Tebow and a few other guys in this draft..

What I like about McCoy:

- Successful in his college career, downright prolific, actually.

- Leader on the field.

- Nice zip on his passes, definitely an accurate passer.

- Adequate arm strength.

- Carries himself like a MAN, he has brawn but you can tell his brains is what makes him who he is. This is my biggest plus about McCoy, you can tell just by looking at him in the face that he is a smart being.

McCoy and Clausen are probably my two favorite QB prospects right now, I'm sure I'll catch some criticism for that, but I do genuinely feel that way.

IAG
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Jake Locker

DraftBoy
10-26-2009, 05:55 PM
You go BPA which in the draft class will hopefully be DT. There is going to be a huge run on them in the first round.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
You go BPA which in the draft class will hopefully be DT. There is going to be a huge run on them in the first round.

Is it that deep though? After Suh and McCoy you're then looking at Arthur Jones and Terrance Cody and I'm not sure they are Top15 selections.

DraftBoy
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Is it that deep though? After Suh and McCoy you're then looking at Arthur Jones and Terrance Cody and I'm not sure they are Top15 selections.

Suh, McCoy, Oghobaase, Atkins, Owens, Jones, Cody (who I dont like at all), Granger, Smith, Austin, Price, and Bailey.

Not all are 1st Round caliber guys but if the juniors declare you probably have 5-6, with 3-4 being top 15 potential. Plus you have two safeties that are going top 15 as well. So potentially 6 of the top 15 picks will be DT and S. That's a lot for any draft class. Some OT's and QB's are really going to fall if the Juniors come a running like you think they will.

X-Era
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Listen man. If we pick at 12, draft a LT. Then move up between 21-25 and grab the QB of future. Hell, I'm okay if you reverse it and get the QB then the LT later in round 1 in trade up . I just don't think you can wait till RD 2 to get that LT as there's less depth at LT in draft compared to QB.

That may be plausible if guys like Locker, Clausen, McCoy end up being what they look like they might be... late round 1 type guys.

elltrain22
10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
We should draft a franchise QB, and rebuild our O-line via free agency.

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Suh, McCoy, Oghobaase, Atkins, Owens, Jones, Cody (who I dont like at all), Granger, Smith, Austin, Price, and Bailey.

Not all are 1st Round caliber guys but if the juniors declare you probably have 5-6, with 3-4 being top 15 potential. Plus you have two safeties that are going top 15 as well. So potentially 6 of the top 15 picks will be DT and S. That's a lot for any draft class. Some OT's and QB's are really going to fall if the Juniors come a running like you think they will.

I always think you pay a bit of premium for Left Tackles simply because there are few who have the intangibles to play at a top level in the NFL. I think Bruce Campbell has a lot of Ryan Clady about him and in hindsight I wonder if he should not have been our pick in 2008.

At DT, I think with a number of teams shifting to 3-4 there are some players who don't fit that system so their value drops. I think it could be like in 2008 when a number of DT fall into R2 and R3 where they might have been consider outside R1 possibilities (Laws, Moore, Sims etc). Owens and Granger have injury flags as well and Austin has always underachieved. A guy I'd like to see in a Bills uniform might be Jared Odrick if he can keep his fists to himself.

Berry and Mays will go probably before we pick and I can't see us wanting to move up for them

I don't think the Bills can afford to go BPA. I think we need to look and decide what is the best player available at a need position. Unless Bell seriously progresses or unless Edwards steps up I think OT and QB are greater needs than the DL at the moment

kernowboy
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
That may be plausible if guys like Locker, Clausen, McCoy end up being what they look like they might be... late round 1 type guys.

Personally I think guys like Pike and Devlin might be equally good pros as Locker and Clausen. After all Clausen has had plenty of opportunities but only really stepped up this year.

DraftBoy
10-26-2009, 06:40 PM
I always think you pay a bit of premium for Left Tackles simply because there are few who have the intangibles to play at a top level in the NFL. I think Bruce Campbell has a lot of Ryan Clady about him and in hindsight I wonder if he should not have been our pick in 2008.

At DT, I think with a number of teams shifting to 3-4 there are some players who don't fit that system so their value drops. I think it could be like in 2008 when a number of DT fall into R2 and R3 where they might have been consider outside R1 possibilities (Laws, Moore, Sims etc). Owens and Granger have injury flags as well and Austin has always underachieved. A guy I'd like to see in a Bills uniform might be Jared Odrick if he can keep his fists to himself.

Berry and Mays will go probably before we pick and I can't see us wanting to move up for them

I don't think the Bills can afford to go BPA. I think we need to look and decide what is the best player available at a need position. Unless Bell seriously progresses or unless Edwards steps up I think OT and QB are greater needs than the DL at the moment

I think Campbell is a hell of a prospect but I still have 4th overall when you include Seniors and Juniors.

Some teams will be switching but most of those teams will use DT's like Jones, Suh, or McCoy as DE's in that system. So they are still premium players who will go early imo.

We have to go BPA we have too many holes to fill to cherry pick by position.

BillsWin
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Pick number 9: Sam Bradford.

Pick Number 41: Anthony Davis, LT, Rutgers. Might not be available there, but I would trade up to get him.

X-Era
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Id run it this way:

Switch to the 3-4.
Start Maybin as a 3-4 OLB (probably where he belonged from the start)
Start Poz and Mitch at ILB and add a 3rd round 3-4 OLB like Norwood
Draft Bradford in the 1st and trade back into the bottom of 1 for Derrick Morgan

At that point you are looking at:

DE- Schobel
DT- Stroud
DE- Morgan
OLB- Norwood
ILB- Mitchell
ILB- Poz
OLB- Maybin

QB- Bradford

Then in round 4-7

Go OT (Jason Fox for example) maybe Calloway who we could try at LT or play at RT, ILB, WR/PR/KR (McCluster? may not drop this far), C

None of that addresses any FA moves, maybe McNeil? Id love Wilfork

DraftBoy
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Id run it this way:

Switch to the 3-4.
Draft Bradford in the 1st and trade back into the bottom of 1 for Derrick Morgan

DE- Schobel
DT- Stroud
DE- Morgan
OLB- Norwood
ILB- Mitchell
ILB- Poz
OLB- Maybin

QB- Bradford

Then in round 4-7

Go OT (Jason Fox for example) maybe Calloway who we could try at LT or play at RT, ILB, WR/PR/KR (McCluster? may not drop this far), C

Derrick Morgan is listed at 272, he would need to put on 10-15 pounds to be a 3-4 DE, imo.

X-Era
10-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Want to add one more thought.

We have had a franchise LT in the past 10 years and it didn't make much difference. And apparently not enough to us to pay to keep him (Peters).

When we had a franchise QB, we almost made the playoffs (Bledsoe). After his first year, he digressed to mediocrity.

You could make the playoffs with an above average, but not franchise, QB if you had a very good defense (Flutie/RJ). But on our current team, we dont have that either.

A franchise QB means more to this team IMO.

Jan Reimers
10-27-2009, 06:26 AM
I think QB is by far our biggest need, but I don't necessarily see a sure fire franchise QB in this draft class. If there is a bigtime LT, DT or LB available when we pick in the 1st round, we should probably go there.

We might get a veteran QB in FA, or draft a QB with potential, in recognition that our QB of the future might not be in the 2010 draft.

Yasgur's Farm
10-27-2009, 06:26 AM
I agree with YardRat and DraftBoy... BPA (Especially within a 5 position range of need) is the only way to go.

My range of need in order...

OLB - All of our D problems
QB - Someday we'll sniff a franchise QB again
NT - 3-4
DE - Long in the tooth
T - With Butler and a year experience for Bell (and Meredith)... We'll be OK here.

TacklingDummy
10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Without a doubt, QB.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm really not sure why McCoy, Gerard and Suh are getting so much love, while Terrence Cody is being left out of the conversation.. Cody easily shows the most potential of ANY d-tackle in this class.

cland
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
As a Texans fan I'll confirm we feel pretty darned lucky to have gotten Duane Brown at #26 (not too mention Steve Slaton, who we picked up due to the third rounder our trade down netted). He was also the 7th OL taken in the first round.

We got Schaub for two 2nd rounders, and we definitely lucked out now that he's leading the league in Yards and TDs. So both spots can be gotten without any high draft picks.

That being said my David Carr/Lack of OL experience tells me you HAVE to fix your line before you put your QB on the field. So I go LT before QB unless somebody blows me away to the point where I could sit him while I use the rest of this draft and next years to put a quality OL in front of him.

Dr. Pepper
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
QB, but not if we have to reach for someone. after another 7-9 season, we'll be picking 11-12, and who knows if clausen/bradford/mccoy/locker will be worth picking there. maybe trade down and nab one towards the end of the first.

Saratoga Slim
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Heck, if this draft is 7 deep in franchise QBs I say draft one in the 1st AND 2nd.

I'm with you. We've had lotsa decent left tackle play in the last fifteen years, but the last time, with the exception of a few months here and there with Bledsoe, that we had a no joke franchise QB, was Jimbo.

I don't care what we have to do or what other positions we neglect to do it, but I want a ******* top 1/3 QB. This team will never have an offensive identity without a guy we can trust to run it. If this is the deepest QB draft in years, grand. Let's get the best one we can lay our hands on.

kernowboy
10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
A QB cannot be a franchise QB if he has the crap beaten out of him, trying to play behind a turnstyle.

An elite LT is even more difficult to find than an elite QB

DraftBoy
10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
A QB cannot be a franchise QB if he has the crap beaten out of him, trying to play behind a turnstyle.

An elite LT is even more difficult to find than an elite QB

Peyton Manning has a thing or two to say about that. Then again David Carr thanks you greatly.

X-Era
10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm with you. We've had lotsa decent left tackle play in the last fifteen years, but the last time, with the exception of a few months here and there with Bledsoe, that we had a no joke franchise QB, was Jimbo.

I don't care what we have to do or what other positions we neglect to do it, but I want a ******* top 1/3 QB. This team will never have an offensive identity without a guy we can trust to run it. If this is the deepest QB draft in years, grand. Let's get the best one we can lay our hands on.

Exactly, we had a franchise LT and it didn't matter much and we wouldn't pay him. We haven't had a franchise QB in a decade, and haven't made the playoffs.

kernowboy
10-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Peyton Manning has a thing or two to say about that. Then again David Carr thanks you greatly.

I think Peyton was absolutely delighted that a certain Tarik Glenn was drafted the year before him, and had his back for the first 8 years

X-Era
10-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I think Peyton was absolutely delighted that a certain Tarik Glenn was drafted the year before him, and had his back for the first 8 years

I get what your saying, but who's the stud LT protecting Roeth? or Flacco? or Matt Ryan?

We cant get guys comparable to them by trading back into the late 1 or even round 2?

Ravens- Sam Baker- 21st pick in 1st round
Falcons- Jared Gaither- round 5 supplemental draft
Steelers- Max Starks- pick 75, round 3

5 years ago I would believe you need a franchise LT, now I don't think that's necessarily true.

kernowboy
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Id run it this way:

Switch to the 3-4.

DE- Schobel
DT- Stroud
DE- Morgan
OLB- Norwood
ILB- Mitchell
ILB- Poz
OLB- Maybin

QB- Bradford

Then in round 4-7

Switch to a 3-4 by starting Denney-Stroud-S Johnson, with maybe hoping to draft Jared Odrick if he falls to R3.

Draft an elite LT with our R1 pick

Draft the QB of the future in R2 - Pat Devlin or Tony Pike could be equally as good as Sam Bradford, or Jimmy Clausen

Add Sean Lee in the 4th so we have proper ILB depth and start with Schobel and Maybin at OLB

Pick up James Starks and Nathan Roosevelt in the 5th and 6th. Michael Jordan of Michigan St in the 7th at DE gives a good DL rotation with Williams backing up Stroud

If we can trade Lynch to someone like Seattle who have two 1st rounders, maybe grab an OLB/DE coming out like George Selvie or Greg Romeus

DL:

Denney (Odrick)
Stroud (K Williams)
Johnson (Jordan)
Schobel (Romeus*)
Mitchell (Lee*)
Pozluzny (Lee*)
Maybin (Romeus*)

Everyone wants a franchise QB like Peyton Manning, but do not forget that the year before they drafted Manning, the Colts drafted a ProBowl LT in Tarik Glenn

X-Era
10-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Switch to a 3-4 by starting Denney-Stroud-S Johnson, with maybe hoping to draft Jared Odrick if he falls to R3.

Wouldnt mind this move, id like it.

Draft an elite LT with our R1 pick

Adding a true talent on the OL isnt a bad move, but adding a franchise QB would be an even better move IMO, neither will probably do much year one.

Draft the QB of the future in R2 - Pat Devlin or Tony Pike could be equally as good as Sam Bradford, or Jimmy Clausen

I think its too early still to make that argument.

Add Sean Lee in the 4th so we have proper ILB depth and start with Schobel and Maybin at OLB

No issue there.

Pick up James Starks and Nathan Roosevelt in the 5th and 6th. Michael Jordan of Michigan St in the 7th at DE gives a good DL rotation with Williams backing up Stroud

I like Roosevelt a ton.

If we can trade Lynch to someone like Seattle who have two 1st rounders, maybe grab an OLB/DE coming out like George Selvie or Greg Romeus

Neither impress me much to be honest... but as a possible OLB in a 3-4, OK. But then why if that's what Maybin is as well?

kernowboy
10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I get what your saying, but who's the stud LT protecting Roeth? or Flacco? or Matt Ryan?

We cant get guys comparable to them by trading back into the late 1 or even round 2?

Ravens- Sam Baker- 21st pick in 1st round
Falcons- Jared Gaither- round 5 supplemental draft
Steelers- Max Starks- pick 75, round 3

5 years ago I would believe you need a franchise LT, now I don't think that's necessarily true.

I think you got Baker and Gaither mixed up. No-one would describe Starks as elite - he is adequate and experienced before moving to the left. Gaither would have gone higher if he'd not failed his grades, but had a year learning behind Ogden, and is nowhere near as raw as Bell. Baker was a top college LT who slid a little because of injury concerns.

I look at it like this. Before this season most had someone like Clausen and Locker graded as 3rd rounders. Is the difference between them and Pike and Devlin really that great - are there equally good prospects a little under the radar?

Away from the top LTs, is the drop off in talent steeper at this position?

Do we risk drafting a QB who really isn't elite with our first round pick and missing an elite LT?

If there was a Peyton Manning or even a Matt Ryan in this draft then I'd say yes go QB. But I don't think there is.

And I think we can grab a more than effective QB, reasonably high in R2, who will be able to start quickly and gain confidence by having elite protection rather than have their confidence annihiliated by being protected by mediocre talent.

X-Era
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I look at it like this. Before this season most had someone like Clausen and Locker graded as 3rd rounders. Is the difference between them and Pike and Devlin really that great - are there equally good prospects a little under the radar?

Away from the top LTs, is the drop off in talent steeper at this position?

Do we risk drafting a QB who really isn't elite with our first round pick and missing an elite LT?

If there was a Peyton Manning or even a Matt Ryan in this draft then I'd say yes go QB. But I don't think there is.

And I think we can grab a more than effective QB, reasonably high in R2, who will be able to start quickly and gain confidence by having elite protection rather than have their confidence annihiliated by being protected by mediocre talent.

With all of this, I think its too early to tell.

Manning? No. Bradford would be the closest but hes injured and wont be far enough away from his injury by draft time to have it not count.

Ryan? Maybe. Clausen has showed Ryan like ability to lead a team to victories... but not at Ryans level yet. He needs to keep doing it and/or have a few big games against tough teams to fully prove it. Locker? at this point no. But, he has plenty of games left to prove himself. Devlin? I dont think you can throw him into the Ryan mix yet. Pike? another guy with injury concerns.

Are none franchise QB's? Maybe. But shouldn't we wait for them to finish the year before making that determination?

As far as an elite LT goes, Okung, Baluga, and maybe Williams look the part. Again, lets wait and see the whole year.

So, if we end up feeling we could have either a franchise QB or a franchise LT at our pick, I think we will go QB. Any version where we dont have what we think is a franchise QB at our 1st round pick, and I think we will go in another direction, LT maybe a possibility.

Its all just conjecture and opinion at this point.

yordad
10-28-2009, 11:33 AM
An elite LT is even more difficult to find than an elite QBThen using reason we can assume there are some elite QBs without elite tackles.

I mean, what is the ultimate objective? Good (or "elite") QB play right? Well there are some very good QBs out there with average left tackles.

And another thing, even if this is a two year project, who would need more time in the NFL to develop? An NFL ready rookie QB or an NFL ready rookie LT?

I'll pick QB

yordad
10-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Not to mention upgrading the tackle via FA is more likely than QB.