For the Whitner haters...There are 3 kinds of safties in the NFL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

For the Whitner haters...There are 3 kinds of safties in the NFL...

"People are out here calling Whitner a bust because he doesn't pick the ball off much, however there are 3 types of safeties in the NFL.

Safties who are great vs the pass and have a very finesse game like Byrd

There are guys who are great vs the run and have a very physical game like Whitner and Scott.

Then their are guys who play both very well. There are plenty of examples around the NFL, just not on our team.

Here is what Wikipedia said about Safeties: "Safeties are the last line of defense, and are thus expected to be sure tacklers. In fact, many safeties rank among the hardest hitters in football history."

We have Byrd who is a ball hawk...added bonus. Donte NEVER EVER was considered to be a ball hawk in college...he only had 3 INT's. Find me an article or scouting report that uses the words "Ball Hawk" to describe Whitner and I'll eat crow.

Donte Whitner fits the bill of a safety to the tee: Hard, sure tackler...allow minimal extra yardage. He is also a fiery leader (which some fans don't like strangely)

D-Whit was, in my opinion, off to a fantastic start prior to injury and although he struggled with angles this year he has been very steady and well respected among the NFL.

So don't FREAK when Whitner doesn't have 3+ picks a year, because those of us that know what his job is and understand it really like his play. I know I do...Whitner and Byrd, I love our safety tandom. "
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: For the Whitner haters...There are 3 kinds of safties in the NFL...

Originally posted by sauce
    There are guys who are great vs the run and have a very physical game like Whitner and Scott.
    Since when? Whitner doesn't do anything great.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

There is nothing you can do to convince Whitner haters otherwise. I personally think he is a top 10 saftey, at about 10. People here are just angry he doesn't live up to his 8th overall pick potential. I agree he was highly reached for, but blame Marv Levy for that, not Dont Whitner.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

suace, why do you quote yourself? or is this pasted from elsewhere?

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

I'd rather have Scott starting than Whitner.
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• zone
            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
            • Oct 2003

Byrd can hit as well as ball hawk.
            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Yeah Byrd was delivering some decent tackles out there.

I don't have Whitner and still have hope he will be a decent player for us. Key word "decent" which sucks because at 8th overall he should be great.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

You're right.

There is three types of safeties in this league.

Great, Average, Terrible

Where does Whitner fall in this? Somewhere between average and terrible.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                  We play to win the game!
                  • Oct 2009

Landry on Washington and Adrian Wilson on Zona are examples of a hard hitters that are never ball hawks. They are very good safeties.

Ed Reed on Baltimore is just the greatest safety! He does it all. Hit hard, cover, Pick off passes to the house.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

"People are out here calling Whitner a bust because he doesn't pick the ball off much, however there are 3 types of safeties in the NFL.

Then their are guys who play both very well. There are plenty of examples around the NFL, just not on our team.

Here is what Wikipedia said about Safeties: "Safeties are the last line of defense, and are thus expected to be sure tacklers. In fact, many safeties rank among the hardest hitters in football history."

We have Byrd who is a ball hawk...added bonus. Donte NEVER EVER was considered to be a ball hawk in college...he only had 3 INT's. Find me an article or scouting report that uses the words "Ball Hawk" to describe Whitner and I'll eat crow.

Donte Whitner fits the bill of a safety to the tee: Hard, sure tackler...allow minimal extra yardage. He is also a fiery leader (which some fans don't like strangely)

D-Whit was, in my opinion, off to a fantastic start prior to injury and although he struggled with angles this year he has been very steady and well respected among the NFL.

So don't FREAK when Whitner doesn't have 3+ picks a year, because those of us that know what his job is and understand it really like his play. I know I do...Whitner and Byrd, I love our safety tandom. "
                    Explain the 3 bad angles in the Giants game in 07 or letting McJackass run right by him for a huge touchdown or getting jacked twice by RB's in jacksonville in last year's opener or getting injured trying to make a hit against an RB late last season. They guy is not a solid tackler. He helps some in the run game, but he was also on the field for both of those huge runs against the Jets, so even his run defense is overrated.

People say he's a leader- how? Cuz he let McKelvin stay over at his house? So what? Do you have any idea how many people I've let couch-surf at my place for weeks while they were trying to get settled in this area? That's not leadership- that's just what friends do.

Cuz he embarrassed himself by making a stupid prediction? How is that leadership? Because he tackled a guy 8 yards in the endzone instead of BEFORE he scored? How is that leadership?

People always use the "leadership" line to defend Whitner but never have any examples or evidence of him actually BEING a leader.

I never understand you Whitner apologists. He's average at best- just deal with it and stop defending mediocrity.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
                      Landry on Washington and Adrian Wilson on Zona are examples of a hard hitters that are never ball hawks. They are very good safeties.

Ed Reed on Baltimore is just the greatest safety! He does it all. Hit hard, cover, Pick off passes to the house.
                      I live in DC and Landry takes a fair amount of heat for not being a ball hawk and getting beat deep too often.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

byrd FS whitner SS argument over

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
                          There is nothing you can do to convince Whitner haters otherwise. I personally think he is a top 10 saftey, at about 10. People here are just angry he doesn't live up to his 8th overall pick potential. I agree he was highly reached for, but blame Marv Levy for that, not Dont Whitner.
                          how is he a top safety?
                          INTs? No
                          Passes defensed? No
                          Big hits? No
                          Tackles? Some, but not enough to make him a top safety
                          Run defense? Decent, but overrated by you apologists. He makes as many mistakes as he does plays.

But, you people insist on defending mediocrity. Nothing I can do about it.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

Scott back at SS, Whitner to 4th corner.
                            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                            Vanek is Austrian not European
                            Originally posted by Prov401
                            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                            Originally posted by better days
                            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Prov401
                              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              how is he a top safety?
                              INTs? No
                              Passes defensed? No
                              Big hits? No
                              Tackles? Some, but not enough to make him a top safety
                              Run defense? Decent, but overrated by you apologists. He makes as many mistakes as he does plays.

But, you people insist on defending mediocrity. Nothing I can do about it.
                              Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, nobody here is right. This is a discussion forum, opinions count.

Thirdly, it is quite obvious you hate Donte Whitner. You always have at least 10 posts in a Whitner thread belittling everybody's opinion's about the guy.

Fourthly, at the begining of this season, Donte Whitner was rated number 9, count it, 9, one more time 9th among safties in the NFL, here is the link.

So dude, seriously, just make one huge thread on how much you can't stomach Donte Whitner, because it is quite obvious. Yes, we all know this, you don't like him. Ok, that's fine, I respect your opinion, but it's sickening to here you repeat yourself over, and over again. Honestly, I respect alot of your postings, but this Whitner thing is like kicking a dead horse. I agree, there is a thread about Whitner once a week, and that alone is getting sickening. I even made one labeled 'Defending Donte' about a month ago that got a good discussion going on.

Was Whitner reached for? Absolutley. Who's fault is/was that? Marv Levy.
                              Does Donte Whitner make mistakes? Yes, he's human. I don't see 30 threads about how Polamalu missed a clear tackle Sunday against the Vikings. I'm in no means trying to compare the two, I'm just saying, everybody makes mistakes.

Donte has had absolutley no pass rush what-so-ever since he has been playing in Buffalo. He is not a ball-hawk saftey. I want to see you, or anybody on this board, hell, anyone in the NFL cover professional wide recievers for more than 8 seconds and see if you can keep them covered as your D-Line creates a cute, powderpuff pocket for the QB to step up in after about 8-10 seconds of sipping a cup of tea, reading the New York Daily, and having time to have a phone conversation with his wife about dinner plans.

Whitner gets a bad rap, and its all because everybody can't get past Marv Levy,.... MARV LEVY reaching for him.
                              Last edited by Prov401; 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X