PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances we get Gruden next year?

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
I want Gruden. Holmgren would be nice too, but I love Gruden's passion on the sideline.

Is it actually possible Ralph would even try to get him?

YardRat
10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
zero

OpIv37
10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
zero

Cowher is zero chance. Gruden is about .25%. And no, I don't mean 25%. I mean 1/4 of 1%.

BillsWin
10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I think Gruden and Billick are the only proven coaches who we have a shot at, but in the end we will go with an unproven coordinator.

Ingtar33
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
you're of course assuming that DJ is gone this off season, knowing the Bills, they'll put off making a choice about DJ till around April. By then all the good coaches will be signed. Then we'll either keep him or fire him and promote Fewell to HC.

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
you're of course assuming that DJ is gone this off season, knowing the Bills, they'll put off making a choice about DJ till around April. By then all the good coaches will be signed. Then we'll either keep him or fire him and promote Fewell to HC.
:ill:

Tatonka
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
just and FYI.. gruden was really not that great.. he won a superbowl with a roster that Dungy built.. and then was average season after season.. and could never make up his mind on a qb and in the end.. he was just not good enough.. his drafts were not that good at all either.

be careful for what you wish for. just because he makes funny faces and screams doesnt make him a great coach.

Tatonka
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
that said.. i would take him over DJ in a heartbeat.

BillsWin
10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
he was still 100-81 as a head coach. 5-4 in the playoffs, and won a super bowl. He brings character to a football team. Something our team has lacked under Jauron. Four seasons and you are still searching for your identity on offense? Sorry, but I can't get behind that. Gruden may not be all world, but I will take a proven coach, with a ring and a personality over skele-dick any day.

Prov401
10-27-2009, 01:44 AM
If we go with Jason Garret, or Brian Schottenheimer, I will flip the f*** out.

The only non-head coach I'd be interested in, would be Russ Grimm. He seems like he would be a Tom Coughlin type of coach.

One guy to watch out for is Romeo Crennell. I think he will get some interviews, especially with the Rooney rule.

Night Train
10-27-2009, 03:16 AM
If Jauron is fired, then Ralph is on the hook for the remaining 6 Mil of his extension.

That means a OC or DC that comes cheap.

Mr. Pink
10-27-2009, 04:02 AM
You forgot choice D.

He has no desire or want to come here.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-27-2009, 04:28 AM
he was still 100-81 as a head coach. 5-4 in the playoffs, and won a super bowl. He brings character to a football team. Something our team has lacked under Jauron. Four seasons and you are still searching for your identity on offense? Sorry, but I can't get behind that. Gruden may not be all world, but I will take a proven coach, with a ring and a personality over skele-dick any day.

What character are you talking about exactly?

In Oakland he was handed a team that was already built for him that was pretty good. The same in Tampa Bay. That team was built and won on Dungy's defense: Gruden's offense was led by Trent Dilfer and based on not making mistakes in tight, defensive struggles (same as Jauron's philosophy). In Oakland, Gruden's offense was based on Gannon's improvisations.

When Gruden had to put together a team himself, he never settled on a QB and, as a result, his offenses never established an identity--except when he had Garcia improvising like Gannon. And, he was never able to develop a young QB into a capable NFL starter.

The Bills have a lot more young talent in place than a lot of folks may realize and Gruden may be able to get that young talent over the hump and make them into serious playoff contenders--something that Jauron hasn't been able to do. But, don't expect him to develop a young QB for you and don't be surprised if he alienates a lot of players in the lockerroom (something that happened in Tampa, where more than one former player has criticized Gruden for lying to him).

Personally I have very mixed feelings about Gruden. I'm not dead-set against him (I also think that a year in the MNF booth will help him as a coach), but, based on what happened with his team in Tampa after the initial success he had with the team Dungy built, I have some serious reservations about him.

I'd love to have Holmgren (but doubt the Bills will get him), but I would take Fassel and possibly even Billick over Gruden at this point. Of the assistant coaches, Russ Grimm is very intriguing. Garrett might be a possibility. Not a fan of Schottenheimer...unless Ralph can get a package deal like Tennessee got with Lane Kiffin where the father comes along with the son!