PDA

View Full Version : Our Best Bet at QB

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
When it comes to QBs, it always brings out the most emotion of people. It's polarizing. He's either your guy or he is your enemy.

Just in recent history, we went through Losman vs Bledsoe, Edwards vs Losman, and now Fitzpatrick vs Edwards.

Most of us know Fitzpatrick is not THE guy, he's the perfect backup.

When Edwards stepped on the field for Losman on that fateful day, he looked so different from all the other debut that we have witnessed: Collins, RJ, Losman. He does not have a big arm like those guys, but he's real cerebral; he can make quick decisions.

I admit I was real high on this guy. And I always believe that a franchise QB is drafted - there is no such thing as trading for a franchise QB or signing a free agent franchise QB. When the best defense teams can throw at you is to drop 8 or more into coverage, you know you have something special at QB (we cannot beat you firing bullets on time on target, so we beat your targets to make them disappear).

Unfortunately, the Bills did not and still don't have an offensive line to beat an opponent on the ground. Along the way, Edwards simply cannot elevate himself to the elite level - capturing those fleeing moments in a play to beat those 8+ tight coverage defenses. He threw INTs, he got burned, and most damagingly, he's losing his confidence in the process.

Right now, I see a Chad Pennington type of career for him. If he's on a team with a strong running attack (like Chad enjoyed with Curtis Martin in Jets and Brown/William in Dolphins), he can win. But if he's the one to carry the load, defenses have a good formula in store.

The Bills, ever since Levy left the GM post and Brandon took the rein, are actually moving in the direction of building up ground attacks: the critical part is the re-vamping of the O-Line. It takes time and we are paying for it now.

I believe we should draft a QB next Spring. If you don't have one, you should never stop looking. Maybe one day you can hit on another Brady, but you simply cannot count on it. And maybe it helps if you can let your drafted QB to sit through a year to learn. In the meantime, under the current situation, I still believe Edwards gives Bills the best chance next year, if not this year.

My comment on Fitzpatrick so far. The only thing he's better than Edwards right now is daring or confidence. It's funny how little confidence can make such a difference: he has no hesitation. He makes a read and just go with it. What I mean by that is best described by himself when he said "when I see Lee is one on one, I believe he's going to beat his guy". Notice the word "believe"; not the word "saw".

Ed
10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I appreciate having Fitzpatrick on the team and what he's done, but I completely agree that he is not THE guy, nor will he ever be for anyone. So while I've lost a lot of confidence in believing that Trent could be THE guy, I still think he's the only qb on our team with a realistic shot at that. I have no idea why he seemed to regress so horribly over the last few games, but he's shown a ton of promise in the past too, so I'd rather not give up on him right now.

DrGraves
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Fitz may be the perfect backup, but we don't have any other options since captain check down sucks.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I still think drafting a stud linebacker and/or DT early is the top priority. Playoff teams just don't allow people to run that wild on a regular basis. We are talking about a more than playoff caliber defense with just one right addition.

justasportsfan
10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I still think Trent is smart but he lost his confidence in himself to make any throws. He's been taking snaps with both Lee and TO but it looks like Fitz has more chemistry with either wrs.

Trent can't see what Fitz see's which is why Trent checks down.

What happened to Grossman is happening to Trent. They lost confidence in themselves and I don't think we have the coaches to bring it out of Trent since our HC plays not to lose.

jamze132
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
No one knows exactly how good TE could be with a solid line. I know OBD is trying to build one and with a couple more solid draft picks, we could be there in a couple of years. But that is bad news for TE as he will probably not be brought back as the starter when his contract expires.

I think almost any young QB will have little to no success in the NFL if their O-line is ****... much like Buffalo's has been for the better part of the decade. You fix the O-line and an average QB and a strong defense can take you to the promised land.

trapezeus
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
i agree with the orignal post. but my question is this. If we don't think the QB position is good at guaranteed spots in the early rounds, what help do we get by taking a late round pick on a QB who won't get on the field?

Look at it this way, any time we bring new players in through the draft, dick and co seem very worried about starting them until they absolutely have to. Look at byrd, look at edwards, look at jackson, look maybin, look at pretty much everyone but lynch and poz. Those are the only two guys i can think in the DJ years that started outright.

Additionally, this team has so many issues with OL, LB and DL (key components of the field), i'd rather just keep taking players in those spots than waste a late day pick on a qb who won't take the field and won't be a backup.

Once trent's gone, fitz most likely stays as a back up and then we either need a veteran game manager or we need a bonafide star which we aren't getting out of this draft.

justasportsfan
10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
No one knows exactly how good TE could be with a solid line. I know OBD is trying to build one and with a couple more solid draft picks, we could be there in a couple of years. But that is bad news for TE as he will probably not be brought back as the starter when his contract expires.

I think almost any young QB will have little to no success in the NFL if their O-line is ****... much like Buffalo's has been for the better part of the decade. You fix the O-line and an average QB and a strong defense can take you to the promised land.
Soild OL is not the question here. When he's had time he doesn't pull the trigger. As stated a lot of times , Rogers isn't scared to pull the trigger even when his OL collapses. Fritz is pulling the trigger with the same OL.

LooneyBin
10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
A qb with confidence issues will fail. Right now the different between Fitz and Trent is Fitz has been accurate on his short throws for the most part. Trent is lacking the confidence to zip tight passes. Trent is not feeling the pocket. There is no difference between Fitz of this year and Fitz of last year. He is averaging the same 5.1 yards per pass. His completion rating is lower so far. I can assure you that if the defense didn't step up and make plays, Fitz would be possibly looking at 0-2.
If Trent doesn't see the field again this year, he's gone. Why is it that this team has such bad luck with cal guys at qb?

Anyway, if by some miracle Fitz can help pull off a long winning streak, then I can see his spot as 2 cemented on this team for the foreseeable future. Fitz is not the answer and Trent doesn't look like it so far. As of now, new qb might just be on the agenda in the offseason.

Jan Reimers
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Fitz is not the long term solution, but neither is Trent. Play the guy who's responsible for 2 of our 3 wins.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Not all Franchise QB are drafted by the same team see Drew Brees other wise i agree Trent is better than Fitz...I think.

EDS
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I admit I was real high on this guy. And I always believe that a franchise QB is drafted - there is no such thing as trading for a franchise QB or signing a free agent franchise QB. When the best defense teams can throw at you is to drop 8 or more into coverage, you know you have something special at QB (we cannot beat you firing bullets on time on target, so we beat your targets to make them disappear).

The Packers traded for Farve back in the day; New Orleans signed Brees as a free agent; Arizona signed Warner as a free agent; Seattle signed Hasselbach as a free agent; Houston traded for Schaub; etc.

So it happens, just there are more failed trades/signings then successful ones.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Not all Franchise QB are drafted by the same team see Drew Brees other wise i agree Trent is better than Fitz...I think.

Just look at his 1st 3 year with the Chargers ... and they felt they need to spent a 1st overall pick on a QB. Enough said.

Philagape
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Fitz is not the long term solution, but neither is Trent. Play the guy who's responsible for 2 of our 3 wins.

The only QBs responsible for the last 2 wins are Sanchez and Delhomme.

yordad
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
A couple weeks without Trent and people forget how bad he was.

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Edwards sucks. Fitzpatrick sucks. Edwards may be the lesser of two evils but in his current state he is putting the team in position to lose while Fitzpatrick has done just enough to win, riding a surging defense to 2 straight road wins.

If Fitz doesn't turn the ball over and gets the win over Houston he has a strong case to continue to start.

Edwards may be better, but he isn't playing like it. He seems to be scared to make throws we know he can make. He takes no risks, and in the end that has cost him. Learn to take risks, IN REASON, which is what Fitz has been doing.

I think Edwards is better, but hasn't been playing up to his skill level and intelligence.

Jan Reimers
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The only QBs responsible for the last 2 wins are Sanchez and Delhomme.
Yeah, but even when Derek Anderson tried to hand us a game, Trent couldn't take it.

Dr. Pepper
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
trent edwards: 3 points against the BROWNS.

'nough said.

trapezeus
10-27-2009, 02:16 PM
is there really a debate inside the bills lockerroom though? I mean it seems like Trent's second head injury in 2 years is pretty serious. i don't think they are even in the discussion stages of having him play. that's just a feeling, i have no evidence about that.

as for fitz being better, he's just giving the team a little confidence. but his numbers are ugly 11-22 for 123. That probably wouldn't have cut it against the browns either. I know this because edwards had very similar numbers with 16-31 for 152 yards. The only difference is that Trent threw an INT while Fitz threw a touchdown.

but again, QB play isn't getting it done. The real story is that the team was gift wrapped both games. I don't think there would be too many qb's performing very well behind this line and who we are playing as starters.

Luisito23
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
It's not that the bum is afraid to throw tight passes, it's that he simply can't...All he's good for is checkdowns and rainbows. I don't ever want to see that clown again, and I really hope that Fitz finishes the season.

sdbillsfan2
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Most of us know Fitzpatrick is not THE guy, he's the perfect backup.-- AGREED

He does not have a big arm like those guys, but he's real cerebral; he can make quick decisions. _____ I agree ..
He's a real mental case since "THE HIT" last year.. Quick decisions=Captain Checkdown in his case.

I admit I was real high on this guy. And I always believe that a franchise QB is drafted - there is no such thing as trading for a franchise QB or signing a free agent franchise QB.
How would you categorize Steve young?

I believe we should draft a QB next Spring. If you don't have one, you should never stop looking. Maybe one day you can hit on another Brady, but you simply cannot count on it. And maybe it helps if you can let your drafted QB to sit through a year to learn. In the meantime, under the current situation, I still believe Edwards gives Bills the best chance next year, if not this year. ----- Agreed

My comment on Fitzpatrick so far. The only thing he's better than Edwards right now is daring or confidence. It's funny how little confidence can make such a difference: he has no hesitation. He makes a read and just go with it. What I mean by that is best described by himself when he said "when I see Lee is one on one, I believe he's going to beat his guy". Notice the word "believe"; not the word "saw". agreed

Oldbillsfan
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
The Qb of the future isn't on the roster unless a miracle happens

yordad
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
The only difference is that Trent threw an INT while Fitz threw a touchdown. Yeah, that's practically the same!

;-)