PDA

View Full Version : QB Mike Reilly worked out as well

T-Long
10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Is there something brewing?

According to a tweet from Adam Caplan:

caplannfl The #Bills worked out UDFA QB Mike Reilly, he also worked out for #Seahawks and #Packers earlier this season.

Demon
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Caplan also tells a fan he thinks Reilly can play....

@timwilliams818 (http://twitter.com/timwilliams818) : I'm convinced Reilly can play in this league. He's a better prospect than Brohm.

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 07:41 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/27/could-steelers-have-a-sleeper-in-qb-reilly/

But if you listen to some experts around the game, there is some feeling that Reilly could end up being a lot more than that. NFL Matchup's Greg Cosell, a film rat who watches as much game tape as nearly anyone, sure thinks so (http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/predraft/2009/04/mike-reilly-the-undersold-overachiever.html):
"I think that as a pro prospect, he's the fourth-best quarterback in this draft, after Freeman, who has a ton of skills but is very raw and unrefined. But after that, Mike Reilly -- and I've watched him on film, and I've seen his only game against a Division I opponent in Montana, in addition to some other games -- I think he shows NFL attributes. I love when I read stuff that says, 'Well, the guy has an average arm.' When you watch him on film, he doesn't have an average arm. He actually has a pretty good arm. And he does the things ... I understand that it's not against top competition, but that's not the point, He's also not playing with great competition. He's playing with the same (level of) guys he's playing against. So, you look for NFL attributes, and he's got them.
"We all know he's not going to be drafted in the first two rounds, but there's a quarterback from two years ago that I really liked, named Matt Moore, who came out of Oregon State, who's now with Carolina, and I can tell you that (Panthers head coach) John Fox thinks he's going to be a starting quarterback in this league."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-reilly?id=81302

Analysis Positives: Good height for the position with the frame to handle an additional 10-15 pounds of mass. Good timing and accuracy for the short to intermediate routes. At least adequate touch and accuracy for the deep pass. Cerebral. Reads defenses well. Has control of the offense and is allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage. Reads through his progressions quickly and will take the check-down option rather than force the ball into coverage. Has some elusiveness to buy time in the pocket and surprising straight-line speed to generate yardage as a scrambler.

Negatives: Lack of preferred arm strength exposed with a disappointing performance against better competition at the East-West Shrine Game. Appeared to be over-throwing passes in an attempt to quell concerns about his arm strength, and his accuracy -- which scouts had thought of as a relative strength -- suffered as a result. Operates out of a spread attack and his statistics are inflated. Athletic enough to handle the transition, but is used to taking snaps out of the shotgun and will need to work on his footwork from center.

ParanoidAndroid
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Ummm.... I just brewed some coffee.

Demon
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
How did the Seahawks or the Packers bring him in then and had him leave unimpressed?

X-Era
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
How did the Seahawks or the Packers bring him in then and had him leave unimpressed?

Maybe they were impressed but strapped by the cash to crap philosophy. :idunno:

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 07:52 PM

not saying he is good, just finding you people reading material.

circlethewagons
10-27-2009, 07:54 PM
with the bills now bringing in multiple QB's for visits any chance they view Trents injury as much more serious than originally thought? Or is this just due to our horrendous QB play this season?

Demon
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
with the bills now bringing in multiple QB's for visits any chance they view Trents injury as much more serious than originally thought? Or is this just due to our horrendous QB play this season?

I could be very wrong, but i still think it's because they will need 3 QBs on the roster and they just can't trust Edwards to stay healthy. Once our bye week ends, i truly believe Roscoe Parrish gets voted off the island, and currently he's our #3 emergency QB.

I doubt it has anything to do with them possibly thinking of benching Fitzpatrick due to his struggles.

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I could be very wrong, but i still think it's because they will need 3 QBs on the roster and they just can't trust Edwards to stay healthy. Once our bye week ends, i truly believe Roscoe Parrish gets voted off the island, and currently he's our #3 emergency QB.

I doubt it has anything to do with them possibly thinking of benching Fitzpatrick due to his struggles.

ditto.

TigerJ
10-27-2009, 08:15 PM

I think the Bills are essentially admitting they're unsure about Trent, whether or not he has the psychological makeup to play QB in the NFL. There's no doubt he has the tools but you can't be afraid when you're playing QB, and he's played like he's afraid ever since the Cleveland game last year. He's afraid, not of injury, but of making a bad play and turning the ball over. If he can't get past that, he will wash out of the Bills and the NFL as surely as Losman did. The Bills are doing due diligence on what's available. They will look hard at the draft too.

Joe Fo Sho
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM

I'm hoping both.

Nighthawk
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
I think this team should be looking everywhere for a prospect who might be able to play in this league because the Bills don't currently have a QB on their roster who's good enough. You can find some diamonds in the rough on practice squads and you may get lucky. I like Brohm...but not many do...I think he can play.

Demon
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
I think this team should be looking everywhere for a prospect who might be able to play in this league because the Bills don't currently have a QB on their roster who's good enough. You can find some diamonds in the rough on practice squads and you may get lucky. I like Brohm...but not many do...I think he can play.

Where exactly do you think they can find a starting QB in late October?

TheBrownBear
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe Edwards is retiring? He's had a couple of concussions in a short span.

Demon
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Maybe Edwards is retiring? He's had a couple of concussions in a short span.

We're not that lucky. We're Buffalo, don't forget.

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Ive always said that Brohm needs a shot somewhere. He may not be a hall of famer, but I think he could at the very least step in and not be a drop off from Edwards. Laugh if you want, it is just my opinion.

Demon
10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Ive always said that Brohm needs a shot somewhere. He may not be a hall of famer, but I think he could at the very least step in and not be a drop off from Edwards. Laugh if you want, it is just my opinion.

Not sure what you're trying to say here exactly.

Would that be some type of accomplishment?

Not saying you're right or wrong, i honestly don't know. I've heard a lot of good on Brohm and the bad, but i think we need to be aiming for way above what Trent Edwards has done.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
If Trent is done for the year than just chalk it up to another brilliant pick by our incompetant front office.

These guys could get 10 chances to get red and it would come up black everytime.

Scumbag College
10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Maybe the Bills are bringing in all of these QBs because their offensive line is so horrid that they expect to go through a bunch of quarterbacks by the end of the year.

Jamon Meredith vs. Julius Peppers last week was embarrassing.

Goobylal
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe the Bills are bringing in all of these QBs because their offensive line is so horrid that they expect to go through a bunch of quarterbacks by the end of the year.

Jamon Meredith vs. Julius Peppers last week was embarrassing.
Scoreboard.

BillsWin
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Not sure what you're trying to say here exactly.

Would that be some type of accomplishment?

Not saying you're right or wrong, i honestly don't know. I've heard a lot of good on Brohm and the bad, but i think we need to be aiming for way above what Trent Edwards has done.

No just saying that Edwards is playing like a second year player with little to no experience. That is how bad he is playing. And a second year player with little to no experience can come in and do the same crap Edwards is doing.

BertSquirtgum
10-27-2009, 10:24 PM
this team does not have a quality starter. each quarterback is less than mediocre and one has a mangina that hurts all the time. i hope for once the bills get lucky and bring in what will be a great quarterback. we deserve it.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Reilly was talked about quite a bit during the second day of the draft, especially by ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski. He kept gushing all over the kid, saying he was his favorite QB in draft. But he was all positive about JP too and that positive spin didn't work out :( But let's hope we give him a shot and he works out.