PDA

View Full Version : We need better scouts...

acehole
10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Sidney Rice over trent edwards
H Nati over d Witner
and it goes on and on...

This town needs an Enima,,,lets get one of these gm coach types and tear the whole thing down.....

I dont care who the coach is...I just want him to yell at a player once in a while......

If winning is the only stat that maters I am sure the Trentards all love Fitzy now....right? Na...

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
i get the idea, but you could point out missed picks by every single team. I wish there was some sort of statistic to show the hit percentage on draft picks, like the percentage of draft picks for each team that actually became something decent. I bet someone somewhere has broken this down but I dont feel like searching that much lol

HHURRICANE
10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I can't believe this but I'm going to defend this thread. At some point you need to be a little luckier than good.

The Bills have poor production out of the draft.

casdhf
10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
H Nati over d Witner
and it goes on and on...

This town needs an Enima,,,lets get one of these gm coach types and tear the whole thing down.....

I dont care who the coach is...I just want him to yell at a player once in a while......

If winning is the only stat that maters I am sure the Trentards all love Fitzy now....right? Na...

We also could have taken Leinart over Whitner, or Antonia Pittman over Edwards ... it could always be worse.

DesertFox24
10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
H Nati over d Witner
and it goes on and on...

Sidney rice was drafted in the second round we drafted trent in the third.

DesertFox24
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
I can't believe this but I'm going to defend this thread. At some point you need to be a little luckier than good.

The Bills have poor production out of the draft.

Marv's draft classes have not brought us a lot besides Poz and Lynch and that could be debated as a good thing or not.

However I think Brandon and Modrak have done an excellent job of drafting talent over need.

The Juice Is Loose
10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
you guys continue to amaze me with this 06 draft bs.

we should have drafted cutler. hands down. if you don't agree, your high.

ngata, although a good d-tackle, isn't a franchise qb.

we could have a 26 year old jay cutler right now with 3+ years under his belt. we could have drafted rice then instead of trent.

then we would have cutler, sidney rice, lee evans, marshawn lynch...if things like that happened i'd be willing to bet we'd have won a few more games, more players would have wanted to stay.

nobody wants to stay with a loser.

kernowboy
10-28-2009, 08:52 AM

we could have a 26 year old jay cutler right now with 3+ years under his belt. we could have drafted rice then instead of trent.

then we would have cutler, sidney rice, lee evans, marshawn lynch...if things like that happened i'd be willing to bet we'd have won a few more games, more players would have wanted to stay.

Mr Interception

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 09:03 AM
better scouts would have also passed on trading any picks for JP.

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2009, 10:00 AM

He prolly would have whined his way out of Buffalo demanding to be traded, but yes he is a much better QB than anything we've had in several years

bigbub2352
10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
and mccargo

and taking roscoe parrish in the 2nd and tim anderson and chris ellis in the 3rd, and on and on and on

I think everyone on this board knows we need new talent evaluation
our depth is horrible
our practice squad is mismanged
and our free agents never work out
sad

Beastie Bills
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM

In hindsight, I would definitely rather have Cutler....

BUT....DT was, by far, our biggest need in '06, and Ngata was, by far, the best DT in the draft. He was a no-brainer pick in the 1st round. I can't understand how they didn't take him.

DraftBoy
10-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Ive sent Ralph my resume...still waiting on word back...

justasportsfan
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
We need better coaches. Ngata andc Rice would've sucked here and become busts,

SABURZFAN
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
This town needs an Enima

this board needs an enema, starting with you and yordad. :rolleyes:

methos4ever
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
It's not the scouts fault that the HC's have chosen guys that they wanted based on their own private criteria. And if our scouts have been so bad, one of them wouldn't have been made the National Blesto Scout for the Giants (Ross).

SquishDaFish
10-29-2009, 01:07 PM
You could do this for just about every team for any prior year.

psubills62
10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
No matter who we COULD HAVE drafted (Ngata, Mangold, etc.), I still don't trust the coaching staff to 1) help develop their game, and 2) use them correctly.

ParanoidAndroid
10-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Green Bay wanted JP, and if they got him, they would not have Rogers . Sometimes players just don't live up to their ability.

Saratoga Slim
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think there's any question that our drafting in the past 10 years has been average at best. Seems like we've missed more than we've hit, even though we've definately hit some.

But I do give Russ & the new regime a little credit for recognizing the talent evaluation deficiency and bringing in Buddy Nix, who adds the kind of credentials we needed to upgrade our college scouting department.

And as of today, I'm pretty happy with this year's draft. Anytime you get three guys who can contribute immediately like Wood, Levitre & Byrd, it's a good thing. I'd like to see more production out of Maybin, but I do think it will come with time.

ParanoidAndroid
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't think there's any question that our drafting in the past 10 years has been average at best. Seems like we've missed more than we've hit, even though we've definately hit some.

But I do give Russ & the new regime a little credit for recognizing the talent evaluation deficiency and bringing in Buddy Nix, who adds the kind of credentials we needed to upgrade our college scouting department.

And as of today, I'm pretty happy with this year's draft. Anytime you get three guys who can contribute immediately like Wood, Levitre & Byrd, it's a good thing. I'd like to see more production out of Maybin, but I do think it will come with time.

Maybin is playing out of position with the Bills. He needs to be outside in a 3-4 and on the field more. He should be our Shawn Merriman.

acehole
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
this board needs an enema, starting with you and yordad. :rolleyes:

Your mom needs one bad......Does Meat enimas count for your mom?

hashahaha u lose again.

BidsJr
10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Ive sent Ralph my resume...still waiting on word back...

Crickets chirping forever.

You are not a draft analyst, just a message board poster.

Marvelous
10-31-2009, 02:16 AM
H Nati over d Witner
and it goes on and on...

--I dunno. Modrak is pretty d@mn experienced. And scouting has 1 main attribute that counts= Experience.
Also bro, Every team missed on star players. That doesn't mean they're scouts bite..
-----What we do need is a super E--L--I--T--E-- Trainer. These kids need to not only be healthy, but to understand they're bodies to better avoid injury..Prior to The Spikes Achilies super-injury, we NEVER got hit w/ The Injury bug,,But since then we've been on a downward spiral with 20+ players on AVG on the IR by week 15-ish....

---I DO-NOT Blame our scouts for Mike Williams. Looking back on it- d@mn scr8 we shoulda,woulda coulda had McKinney instead of Minnesota Vikes. But i remember that night perfectly c;lear like it was yesterday.. I was estatic with our team. Mike Williams & Our new FRANCHISE QB Drew Bledsoe. woot! Life for this Bills fan was grand.. So IMO most people. Fans & staff & in the business collegues etc pretty much all had Mike Williams ranked in the top 5, atleast top 10...So my point is that i don't blame our scouts for missing on players.
------BUT-----What i do blame the scouts and staff for is positions!!!!!! Like backup QB for instance.. Why was this ignored last draft?> There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS. And if our defense breaks soon, then we are screwed,,,and/or if Trent gets hurt again,,,or he just poops and rocks poopy pants etc,, then we too are taking a hellova gamble/risk. Puttitng all our eggs in 1 basket. The basket of our defense. An dif that doesn't hold we could be under .500.....

-----Example of stellar position drafting. The Poz/Lynch, Trent Edwards draft...
-Two examples to prove/enforce my point.
---1- DRAFTING A QUARTERBACK IN THE 3RD ROUND/DAY 1 QB pick-- And we hit a homerun. Homerun because he has been a starter/our starter for 2+ seasons and he is/was a 3rd orunder, not a 1st rounder. So that's awesome value & stellar E-L-I-T-E- Scouting.. Marv drafted Trent as JP Losman poop insurance. IMO We MUST ALWAYS DRAFT A QB as long as our starter and/or backup is mediocre. Like right freraking now>~~~!!!
-----EXAMPLE 2-- We drafted a MLB top o' the 2nd in a trade up..1ST ROUND & TOP OF THE 2ND ROUND Middle LBers almost always are studs. And sure enough, POZ is a beast/stud! I/we knew Poz was gonna be a beast before we drafted him... Is there any Zoner who thought he was gonna be a bust? that's before we selected him? I doubt anyone thought he was gonna flop... My point is --that is good drafting because of the position we drafted.. A MLB top o' the 2nd and a pretty reliable player like POZ, from a reliable Mike LBer school like Penn ST.. WTF this is a no-brainer....Why don't we use "NO-Brainers" more??

----Next years draft-- We must drafct a QB on day 1. For two reasons..Obvious reasons...
-The very obvious is Insurance- If Trent Poops, gets hurt, or get another concussion. Chances are VERY high for Trents concussions because he plays Vince Wilfork twice a year. AND not only is Wilfork a QB dirty massive monster,,but he guns for Trent Edwards. I dunno if smack was involved or whatnot, i dont care, but Thsi guy is head hunting Trent...Also, it seems like Trent is avoiding head hunters all seasons...Me & my wife track the Personal Foul stat on people hitting Trent Late this year/season,,or hits to the head, below knees etc.... WHat gives?

===The other POINT ABOUT Day-1 QB next draft is,,BESIDES INSURANCE,,What if he progresses into a superstar QB...That is the perk of drafting any position for insurance. You get lucky here/there and the player who was just to be a reliable backup, ands up being better then the starter he was drafted to backup. lol...
---So if we did draft Tim Tebow just for insurance, man are we gonna be static if he blows up the spot and Makes trent tHE BACKUP..I would feel sooo complete if our starter is stellar enough to make Trent The backup..Trent is my perfect career backup for us...And Tebow was a fiction example. I do not think he is this/that ect...

--Anyone got my back with the P.O.V. About the two things?
-1- Drafting by safer positions like MLB in the 1st two rounds tends to be safe.
-2- Day 1 QB is a frakkin must..agreed?

--sorry bout the rant.

yordad
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Green Bay wanted JP, and if they got him, they would not have Rogers . Sometimes players just don't live up to their ability.Except JP probably would have after riding the pine behind Farve for a few years.

ParanoidAndroid
11-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Except JP probably would have after riding the pine behind Farve for a few years.

Show evidence why that is a probability. I seriously have doubts. You could say, "maybe," but no more than that.

yordad
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Show evidence why that is a probability. I seriously have doubts. You could say, "maybe," but no more than that.Show evidence? OOkkkaaayyy. That is kind of a strange request. :idunno: