PDA

View Full Version : Keith Ellison

more cowbell
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Ok let me start this thread by saying prior to this season I was one of the biggest Ellison bashers out there, and I'm still not a real big fan of his.

With that being said, this guy has stepped up his game this year. He is second in the NFL in tackles right now behind London Fletcher. YES I know a LOT of the tackles are down field, and he was burned twice by Ben Watson week 1 in the loss. But he is FAR from being our worst starting linebacker.

I know he's hurt now, but when he was in the lineup our pass defense much worse than it is now. I'm talking about Kawika Mitchell. For all the negative things we have to say about Ellison, this guy hasn't done anything other than have a big game against San Diego last season. And he has a big mouth as well.

Ellison and Palmer have picked up the slack in his absence, and the defense, especially pass coverage (tight ends and backs) has been MUCH better.

So what I'm saying is, Get rid of Mitchell, move Ellison into his spot, and get another linebacker (Thomas Howard, Thomas Davis) and you will see remarkable improvement in the defense.

Give credit where credit is due guys, if this was POZ with all the tackles we would be talking about how hes a pro bowl candidate.

Mahdi
10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I like that he has been getting more involved in the game. He definitely is not as invisible as he has been in years past.

However, I want to see some playmaking before I accept him as a starter. He blitzes and doesn't get there and has no INTs in a long time.

Italian Stallion
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok let me start this thread by saying prior to this season I was one of the biggest Ellison bashers out there, and I'm still not a real big fan of his.

With that being said, this guy has stepped up his game this year. He is second in the NFL in tackles right now behind London Fletcher. YES I know a LOT of the tackles are down field, and he was burned twice by Ben Watson week 1 in the loss. But he is FAR from being our worst starting linebacker.

I know he's hurt now, but when he was in the lineup our pass defense much worse than it is now. I'm talking about Kawika Mitchell. For all the negative things we have to say about Ellison, this guy hasn't done anything other than have a big game against San Diego last season. And he has a big mouth as well.

Ellison and Palmer have picked up the slack in his absence, and the defense, especially pass coverage (tight ends and backs) has been MUCH better.

So what I'm saying is, Get rid of Mitchell, move Ellison into his spot, and get another linebacker (Thomas Howard, Thomas Davis) and you will see remarkable improvement in the defense.

Give credit where credit is due guys, if this was POZ with all the tackles we would be talking about how hes a pro bowl candidate.

wrong.

Ellison is garbage. He smells like beef and cheese.

NEARLY ALL of his tackles are 5 yards beyone the line of scrimmage, can't ever remmeber him making a play on a ball or causing a fumble. He's the size of a wide receiver (T.O. is bigger than him by alot) and he hits like one.

Place Thomas Howard in ELLISON's spot and you will see a WAY better improvement, with Poz and Mitchell back

Ebenezer
10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
wrong.

NEARLY ALL of his tackles are 5 yards beyone the line of scrimmage, can't ever remmeber him making a play on a ball or causing a fumble. He's the size of a wide receiver (T.O. is bigger than him by alot) and he hits like one.

Place Thomas Howard in ELLISON's spot and you will see a WAY better improvement, with Poz and Mitchell back
I love how folks are so quick to make an NFL player look like crap...the guy is doing what he is asked. Is it his fault that he is the size he is? Is it his fault the Bills drafted him? Is it his fault that he plays where and how they tell and have taught him? The guy works hard. Is he the second coming of Corny Bennett? Hell no. Don't knock him - he didn't come to the Bills and insist a contract and a crappy coaching staff.

more cowbell
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
wrong.

Ellison has made 2 stops behind the line this season when the opponent has gone for it on 4th and 1.

When have you ever seen kawika mitchell make a tackle behind the line of scrimmage? "He's the size of a linebacker" and he can't cover, or consistently tackle anyone. He is MUCH worse than Ellison and gets paid MUCH more.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
one every long play that has been run against the bills, Ellison was wiped out and pushed into a Bills DL. He can't hold his ground.

He should be limited to ST and spot duty here and there.

the fact he is small isn't his fault, but he's not even particularly good in coverage, and his stops in the run are just part of this bend but don't break defense. Nothing spectacular.

We can keep ripping on him or we can agree that he isn't a starter and that we need a legitimate playmaker in our LB corps.

Again, without being +10 in two games, we don't win these last two games...and we barely won them. When the turnovers dry up, we'll start seeing a renewed concern about the defense.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I love how folks are so quick to make an NFL player look like crap...the guy is doing what he is asked. Is it his fault that he is the size he is? Is it his fault the Bills drafted him? Is it his fault that he plays where and how they tell and have taught him? The guy works hard. Is he the second coming of Corny Bennett? Hell no. Don't knock him - he didn't come to the Bills and insist a contract and a crappy coaching staff.
He was also a 6th round (I think) draft choice.

In fact, the Bills' FO does quite well with late round picks.

Italian Stallion
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Ellison has made 2 stops behind the line this season when the opponent has gone for it on 4th and 1.

When have you ever seen kawika mitchell make a tackle behind the line of scrimmage? "He's the size of a linebacker" and he can't cover, or consistently tackle anyone. He is MUCH worse than Ellison and gets paid MUCH more.

At least Mitchell picked a pass off against SDto seal the game..yeah I know were splitting hairs here..but when did Ellison do anything..alone...to win or change a game?

more cowbell
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
You're right he hasn't done anything game changing.

That's not my argument I'm not saying hes a game changer or a pro bowl player. I'm saying that THIS SEASON he has picked up his game and isn't the scapegoat for the defenses mistakes like he has been in the past.

more cowbell
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
one every long play that has been run against the bills, Ellison was wiped out and pushed into a Bills DL. He can't hold his ground.

He should be limited to ST and spot duty here and there.

the fact he is small isn't his fault, but he's not even particularly good in coverage, and his stops in the run are just part of this bend but don't break defense. Nothing spectacular.

We can keep ripping on him or we can agree that he isn't a starter and that we need a legitimate playmaker in our LB corps.

Again, without being +10 in two games, we don't win these last two games...and we barely won them. When the turnovers dry up, we'll start seeing a renewed concern about the defense.

Yes, he has been wiped out of plays but so has golden boy POZ, Mitchell and any other linebacker that's been in the line up. I specifically remember Mitchell being completely engulfed in blocks during the Miami game, not making any impact what-so-ever.

The problem with our run defense is its a boom or bust unit. The line either gets a lot of penetration and stops the run for a minimal gain or a loss, or the line gets completely owned and allows huge runs like they did to Thomas Jones.

Italian Stallion
10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
You're right he hasn't done anything game changing.

That's not my argument I'm not saying hes a game changer or a pro bowl player. I'm saying that THIS SEASON he has picked up his game and isn't the scapegoat for the defenses mistakes like he has been in the past.

That's because there's more garbage than usual around him to focus on..

Ashlee Palmer, Nic Harris, Chris Draft, Marcus Buggs, Donte Whitner, Aaron MAybin and the clan of solid d ends we got here.

Yes I agree hes sucked less...but hes still the worst starter on the team (besides Bell of course)

bigbub2352
10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Ellison is a glorified backup who makes very low impact plays would probably be a demon for us on ST and has been thrust into a starting role due to our front office not being able to address the LBer situation either thru the draft or free agency
that being said:
He is too small and gets engulfed by cut back blocks and pulls and traps he has been on the feild for all of these rushing performances that raked up close to 1000 yds in 4 games
that is not good for anyone on the D let alone a LBer
Ellison is not good enough period
His 68 tackle stat is a joke by our statastion and i feel it is inflated alot like Justin Jenkins ST's contribution's considering he has made 1 play on STs in the 3 yrs he has been on the roster

All in All Ellison is the depth player we need not a starter
again this all falls on the mismanagement of the roster by our Front Office

jamze132
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Was it Jesus' fault he was crucified?

ddaryl
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Bottom Line ... Ellison is a better LB this year then last year. No doubt about it...

Last year was his 1st full year starting... Can Ellison continue to improve is the question.

Another fact is Ellison has almost matched his tackle stat form last year in 7 games. he has a chance to match last years tackles by the 1/2 way mark. That is fantastic improvement, and one that does deserve a kudos

We can still upgrade our LB's but there is not reaosn to **** on Ellison this year... and if he continues to get better next year then it could very well be a worthwhile investment...

If we upgrade our DT's with a stud pick, and Maybin starts to pan out Ellison's job of making tackles inside 4 yards will become easier... In the 4-3 you need your DL to make more plays up front and tie up more blockers for the LB's to make these plays..... there is more to this puzzle

Oaf
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

I've been hating on the guy all season, and while I did not want it to be in the form of serious injury, I was pretty content to see him take a seat for the season. For a UDFA.

I have not seen a difference btw him and the rookies in terms of overpursuing gaps, being slow to the outside, missing tackles, etc etc.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, he has been wiped out of plays but so has golden boy POZ, Mitchell and any other linebacker that's been in the line up. I specifically remember Mitchell being completely engulfed in blocks during the Miami game, not making any impact what-so-ever.

The problem with our run defense is its a boom or bust unit. The line either gets a lot of penetration and stops the run for a minimal gain or a loss, or the line gets completely owned and allows huge runs like they did to Thomas Jones.

i wasn't big on Mitchell, and i'm still not convinced that POZ is the guy to be the urlacher of our LB core. I think he's a good player that can get better. but he should not be our superstar LB that we should assume is the best of the bunch.

EDS
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I view Ellison the same way I viewed DiGorgio (i.e., easily replaceable).

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Ellison is not very good...stop the love. The guy never makes plays, always is engulfed by blockers, makes tackles 5-10 yards downfield and did I say this yet...HE SUCKS!

justasportsfan
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

more cowbell
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been hating on the guy all season, and while I did not want it to be in the form of serious injury, I was pretty content to see him take a seat for the season. For a UDFA.

I have not seen a difference btw him and the rookies in terms of overpursuing gaps, being slow to the outside, missing tackles, etc etc.

yeah definetaly agree. It's never good when someone has a season ending injury, but karma is a ***** because the week that Mitchell was criticizing bills fans and talking about how he still gets a paycheck..is the same week his season ended.

like you and I said, there is no concieveable drop off with him not in the lineup, if anything its been an upgrade.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Mitchell is one of the poorest tacklers I have ever seen.

Tatonka
10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
where the hell is harris. he should have been on the field by now.

LooneyBin
10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tight ends love burning Ellison.