PDA

View Full Version : A what if scenario

xXSpIkes5IXx
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Let me first start off by saying, we have won 2 straight games. However, other than picking off passes, we've pretty much played like crap.

We sit at 3-4, apparently on our way to more mediocrity that we have come to expect. Fans have their usual "what ifs" (leodis and roscoe), and the line and QB play look like they always do....

However, part of me remains hopeful. Things change in the NFL very quickly. Perhaps Jauron and the team hit their stride next week against Houston, and we can make something of this season. Maybe Trent's time off will allow him to regain his fragmented confidence. Remember, we have seen Trent get it done, in the first half of last year, as well as the first few games this year.

With a schedule that is somewhat favorable, it is still possible to save this season...

except our coach is dick jauron :brace:

Before we start scouting our top pick for next year, lets watch a few more games...

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
i applaud the optimism. but the last 3 years, haven't we gone through this exact same routine.

1. excitement for season
2. upset about a close loss
3. team seemingly implodes, everyone is angry
4. put a couple wins together against bad teams
5. enter the playoff mix
6. blow the next game after being discussed for playoffs
7. one more game before they are mathematically eliminated, blow that
8. no one wants jauron back
9. last 1-3 games are meaningless and we lose each one as the team doesn't show up.

Aren't we just inbetween steps 4 and 5?

BillsWin
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Let me first start off by saying, we have won 2 straight games. However, other than picking off passes, we've pretty much played like crap.

We sit at 3-4, apparently on our way to more mediocrity that we have come to expect. Fans have their usual "what ifs" (leodis and roscoe), and the line and QB play look like they always do....

However, part of me remains hopeful. Things change in the NFL very quickly. Perhaps Jauron and the team hit their stride next week against Houston, and we can make something of this season. Maybe Trent's time off will allow him to regain his fragmented confidence. Remember, we have seen Trent get it done, in the first half of last year, as well as the first few games this year.

With a schedule that is somewhat favorable, it is still possible to save this season...

except our coach is dick jauron :brace:

Before we start scouting our top pick for next year, lets watch a few more games...

Mathematically we are still in it. In fact if we beat Hou, Miami beats the Jets and Baltimore loses to Denver we own the 6th playoff seed going into the bye. Obviously that means nothing, but its still pretty cool when you think about how horrible we have played, and yet we are still in the thick of things. It still stands to reason though that we will not make the post season if we continue to be anemic on offense. If our offense could score points, the defense may make this a playoff team. But it would take something close to a miracle to jump start this offense. They are down right terrible.

ServoBillieves
10-28-2009, 11:22 AM
1. We should've beat the Patriots, keeping us 1 game from being 2-1 in the division and 4-3, tied for first in the division. A moot point, but we play them in our house next.
2. If we beat the Jets again, and beat Miami and New England @ Home, we look good in the division.
3. Of the 4 road games we have left (5 I guess with the Jets), the combined records are 8-17. Kansas City and Tennessee have a combined 1 win and look horrendous, while Jacksonville is a wildcard with MJD in the backfield and Atlanta is... well Atlanta. That is a potential 3-1 on the road.
4. With our depleted secondary still being ranked 10th in pass D, when Scott and Whitner return, things should get better in the run defense aspect of the safety position.
5. Indy should be resting by the time we meet up with them.
6. Houston, New England, and Indy are primarily passing teams. Again, 10th ranked pass D.
7. Henne doesn't scare me in Miami, drop 8 in the box and stop that ****ing Wildcat. Garrard has very little to throw to.
8. You're a Bills fan. Believe in your team.

^That is optimism. Suck it haters.

casdhf
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Confident teams play well too. We've won two in a row, the team may start acting like it.

BillsOwnAll
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Confident teams play well too. We've won two in a row, the team may start acting like it.
Optimism isnt allowed on this board. We suck We will always suck and we will never regain any type of greatness.

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
1. We should've beat the Patriots, keeping us 1 game from being 2-1 in the division and 4-3, tied for first in the division. A moot point, but we play them in our house next.
2. If we beat the Jets again, and beat Miami and New England @ Home, we look good in the division.
3. Of the 4 road games we have left (5 I guess with the Jets), the combined records are 8-17. Kansas City and Tennessee have a combined 1 win and look horrendous, while Jacksonville is a wildcard with MJD in the backfield and Atlanta is... well Atlanta. That is a potential 3-1 on the road.
4. With our depleted secondary still being ranked 10th in pass D, when Scott and Whitner return, things should get better in the run defense aspect of the safety position.
5. Indy should be resting by the time we meet up with them.
6. Houston, New England, and Indy are primarily passing teams. Again, 10th ranked pass D.
7. Henne doesn't scare me in Miami, drop 8 in the box and stop that ****ing Wildcat. Garrard has very little to throw to.
8. You're a Bills fan. Believe in your team.

^That is optimism. Suck it haters.

No, it's ignorance...big difference.

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
A question to the "realists":

When will you begin thinking we're any good?

Say we beat Houston...we've beaten the Jets, who we were never supposed to beat...we then beat the Panthers, who were favored...if we beat the Texans, Titans and Jags and are 7-4, then what? Are we any good? If we then beat the Phins, are we good?

Or do we have to actually make the playoffs to be any good?

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
No, it's ignorance...big difference.

Please go a little further into why his post was ignorant, then we can respect your post a little more.

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Please go a little further into why his post was ignorant, then we can respect your post a little more.

Our defense is ranked 10th against because teams can run all over us...the numbers are skewed. Just assuming that this team is going to go on the road and win because they were given two victories by two bad teams the past two weeks is silly. Anybody who watched this team the past two weeks, knows that they didn't play well...they happened to play against QB's who were totally inept. Trying to sell this team as a playoff contender is ignorant because you're ignoring what you see on Sundays and how poorly they continue to play.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Earning a win and being given one are 2 different things. Its always "what if" some of those "what ifs" didnt happen. Im not happy how Buffalo has played the last 2 games but ill take the W's. Saying "what if" Buffalo beats NE @ home is funny. The Patriots are not the same team Buffalo faced week 1. So "what if" it doesnt happen? Always 2 sides to the "what if".

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Say we beat Houston...we've beaten the Jets, who we were never supposed to beat...we then beat the Panthers, who were favored...if we beat the Texans, Titans and Jags and are 7-4, then what? Are we any good? If we then beat the Phins, are we good?

I think if the bills actually win a game as opposed to just watching another team out error them.

We are at this point of a 3+ year rebuild that we should have an identity. We should be able to run the ball well. We should be able to come up with 3rd down stops and then see the offense take some time off the clock and score a touchdown.

We should be able to expect competent time management at the end of the half and see that we are trying to maximize putting points on the board as opposed to running the clock out.

We shouldn't have to play not to lose. When we are up in the fourth quarter, we should be able to dictate the tempo and run the clock with good running plays that pick up first downs.

We should be able to keep up with a good team.

We should be able to make a team fall behind and play away from their strengths and try to catch up.

We should be building momentum in a game instead of constantly pissing away any momentum with stupid mistakes and bad penalties.

There are alot of things they need to do, but its not a lot of difficult stuff. It's just basic stuff that we'd expect from a well run team.

Throne Logic
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM

I will start to think this team might be "any good" when I don't feel the shame and embarassment that I've grown accustomed to while watching the games.

When my wife stops asking why I put myself through the emotional turmoil for a team that she's never seen have a winning season in the 9 years we've been together.

When we put together a decent record (above 500) that features wins versus opponents with similarly good records.

Right now, I have simple goals to root for: An offense that can consistently put up more points than the number of accepted penalties in a game. A logical and well managed final 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. And perhaps a WR core that catches 5 or more passes in a game that are actually beyond the line of scrimmage.

I could actually not care less about the playoffs right now. I just want some small return on my rather large emotional investment over the past couple decades.

The Juice Is Loose
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
The year Baltimore went to the Super Bowl their offense was horrendous. Actually record setting bad if I believe. If you go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Baltimore_Ravens_season), you'll see they actually went 5 straight GAMES without scoring a touchdown.

Now look, I'm not saying our defense is like theirs was. I'm not saying we're going to the Super Bowl. I'm just saying that style points only mean **** to nerds on the internet. The guys in the locker room are getting some W's which WILL add to their confidence.

Confidence, momentum...Believing in your team, those are as big a factor as X's and O's and timeout management.

My expectations are in check. I don't expect anything. But, if your on the team there has got to be a little head nodding going on. They have won 2 games without playing their best football. In the past, they'd play their best and barely win or lose.

Houston, honestly, they are 2 different teams. They show up like every other week and luckily for us, they showed up last week. I could honestly see the Bills kinda putting it to them. Their defense blows. Their o line blows. Shaub is shakable and breakable. Johnson is banged up.

The X factor for us Steve Slaton. We stop him and we win. Period.

It's gonna be hard for me to ignore them being 4-4 on the break and 3-1 over the last 4 if it happens. Jauron's teams since he got here have traditionally come out from the bye and gotten better.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
from the interviews, i don't get the sense that the team is gaining confidence. i think they know they stole those two games and were happy with the outcome, but i think they are just as aware of the holes as the "internet nerds"

BillsOwnAll
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Too all the people that are saying we didnt win the last 2 games and we watched the other team give them to us. Can we say the same thing about the NE and CLE game? We gave them away. They didnt deserve to lose them. So we gave 2 games away and were given two games. But you "realist" only see what you wanna see you just wont admit it.

cocamide
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm just saying that style points only mean **** to nerds on the internet.

I guess I'm a super nerd. I would take that stylish 59-0 beatdown that NE put on the Titans any day.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Too all the people that are saying we didnt win the last 2 games and we watched the other team give them to us. Can we say the same thing about the NE and CLE game? We gave them away. They didnt deserve to lose them. So we gave 2 games away and were given two games. But you "realist" only see what you wanna see you just wont admit it.

We gave away those two games. surely, i'll admit it. That's a bad team right there.

A good team doesn't give away games that they've locked up for 57 minutes.

The Patriots then went on to make amends for their weak performance.

the bills pissed potentially three games away if you include that the Saints game was sitting there for the taking. What did they do? did they step up and blow a team away? did they stop playing scared and start playing like a team that really wants to win? Nope, they timidly went into NYJ and played for a game winning fieldgoal into a horrible wind. Classic bills blunder.

Did they go into carolina and ice the game with 12 minutes to go with a TD? nope, they gave up in the redzone and took the FG. And then proceeded to give up 2 4th down conversions and let the team right back in it.

Homers only see what they want to see apparently. And that is 2 W's under the win column without understanding why it happened.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm amazed at all of the posters that say the Jets and Carolina "gave" us these last 2 games. We played hard. We won the turnover battle. We made the big plays when we had to. Yes, our offense didn't play well, but we WON.

NFL games are not always beauty contests. These games certainly were not. But to say we somehow didn't really win, but were given the game, is absurd.

BillsOwnAll
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm amazed at all of the posters that say the Jets and Carolina "gave" us these last 2 games. We played hard. We won the turnover battle. We made the big plays when we had to. Yes, our offense didn't play well, but we WON.

NFL games are not always beauty contests. These games certainly were not. But to say we somehow didn't really win, but were given the game, is absurd.Dont even try these "realist" dont see what REALLY happen. We won. But in there realismness world. We lost. Whatever makes them happy. Last time i checked only one thing matters, W's.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Dont even try these "realist" dont see what REALLY happen. We won. But in there realismness world. We lost. Whatever makes them happy. Last time i checked only one thing matters, W's.

I like to show some optimism, but when people can't enjoy a win, it's tough.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
w's matter. getting lots of W's matter. stealing a game or two in a scenario where you haven't beaten anyone but the bucs isn't where you want your team to be.

It's like investing in a ponzi scheme and telling people, "i don't ask about where the profits come from". It matters where the profits come from and it matters how you win a game.

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
w's matter. getting lots of W's matter. stealing a game or two in a scenario where you haven't beaten anyone but the bucs isn't where you want your team to be.

It's like investing in a ponzi scheme and telling people, "i don't ask about where the profits come from". It matters where the profits come from and it matters how you win a game.

So why does the Bucs win even count as a "W", because they couldnt do jack the entire game and handed us the win in the first half...

i just dont see where you draw the line of whats a win and what is given to you as a gift.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 03:40 PM
The bills at least outplayed the bucs in multiple facets of the game. they carried an imaginative game plan for a lowly bucs team. But we also were still saying you weren't watching a good team. when the bills got a turnover, they turned it into points immediately.

right now we are hoping the bills squeak into the playoffs. but no team in the playoffs serious about winning can't put together at least a couple games where they dictate the flow the entire game.

it's been a while, but we've consistently played to other teams strengths because we have none of our own.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2009, 04:02 PM
The bills at least outplayed the bucs in multiple facets of the game. they carried an imaginative game plan for a lowly bucs team. But we also were still saying you weren't watching a good team. when the bills got a turnover, they turned it into points immediately.

right now we are hoping the bills squeak into the playoffs. but no team in the playoffs serious about winning can't put together at least a couple games where they dictate the flow the entire game.

it's been a while, but we've consistently played to other teams strengths because we have none of our own.
I don't think the Bills will even come close to the playoffs, but I don't think we should discount our wins, either.

Sanchez had played pretty well early in the season, but we made him look bad. We took advantage of his errant throws, got a great slant pass from Fitz to Evans, turned the ball over only once, stopped them in OT, and got a long field goal from Lindell.

We held Carolina's running game in check, took advantage of Delhomme's poor throws, and got the ball in the end zone twice. Moorman kept them pinned down all day, and we didn't make a lot of mistakes.

I agree that we don't have the coaching, or enough talent at QB and a few other positions to be a playoff team, but we won these 2 games by outplaying the opposition in enough key areas to WIN.

trapezeus
10-28-2009, 04:14 PM
i'm not saying, "don't enjoy the win." but i am saying from those wins, the likelihood of seeing another win isn't very high.

if you look at the seasons from 2006 to now, every time when the bills put a little roll together, they face a challenge. A game to prove that they are for real, and they typicall fold and lose that game. and as we discount them again, they win a game or two. they repeat this until it comes down to a week 13 or later game where it's do or die. your gut tells you they won't do it, your heart is begging for them to pull it off. And they let you down and miss the playoffs.

There is nothing in this season that seems different from any of the other seasons. We see random pick ups to accommodate for injuries, we see an offense in total disarray with no identiy. We see a defense that isn't great, but holds on for a while until they collapse from the pressure of playing the entire game.

I just can't find anything that they are doing different from the last couple years.

They're pulling us all back in. They should conceivably be 6-4 when they meet the dolphins. That will be a big statement game to us. If they can beat them at home and show that over this potential 4 game win streak that they are getting an identity, then i'll put my homer hat on. but i also won't be surprised if they blow that game. in fact, i won't be surprised if we give the titans their first victory of the season.

In 2006 we gave the lions a win in their 2 or 3 game win season
in 2008 we gave the browns a win in their awful season.

I'm sure there are more if i looked it up.

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM

NFL games are not always beauty contests. These games certainly were not. But to say we somehow didn't really win, but were given the game, is absurd.

You not seeing how poorly this team played in those victories and just saying "hey, a W is a W" is just silly. It's just as silly, as you say, as me saying they were handed the victories. I just wonder if some of you "optimists" actually watch the game or just see what you want?

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
So why does the Bucs win even count as a "W", because they couldnt do jack the entire game and handed us the win in the first half...

i just dont see where you draw the line of whats a win and what is given to you as a gift.

This is where I have a problem with people like yourself...have you ever heard of a quality win??? This would be a win that a team actually plays a very good team and shows they can win and be competent while winning it. Please name me one the Bills have won under Jauron? These last two games the Bills played horrible and only won because the other team was worse then them and "out-mistaked" them. Yeah, I for one, find it hard to get to excited about performances like that.

Nighthawk
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't think the Bills will even come close to the playoffs, but I don't think we should discount our wins, either.

Sanchez had played pretty well early in the season, but we made him look bad. We took advantage of his errant throws, got a great slant pass from Fitz to Evans, turned the ball over only once, stopped them in OT, and got a long field goal from Lindell.

We held Carolina's running game in check, took advantage of Delhomme's poor throws, and got the ball in the end zone twice. Moorman kept them pinned down all day, and we didn't make a lot of mistakes.

I agree that we don't have the coaching, or enough talent at QB and a few other positions to be a playoff team, but we won these 2 games by outplaying the opposition in enough key areas to WIN.

Oh my God, Jan! Did you even watch the freakin' game!?!? We did not hold the Panthers running game in check...THEY stopped running the ball for some stupid reason. Williams averaged 5.6 yards a game and they ran for 115 yards, which a good team would consider bad!!! How low have your standards become to spin everything to make yourself feel good? I just don't see what you're talking about!?!?

BillsWin
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Sure 7-4 looks great, but if we lose the final five games and go 7-9 again it doesnt matter. The object of this game is to win. If the Bills continue to win and go 9-7 or 10-6 I can say they had an alright season. But winning these two games in a row means NOTHING unless we finish.

how can you say we have looked like a playoff team in these two wins? Our defense sure has, but our offense looks so bad its not even funny anymore.

Jauron clap. :clap:

Jan Reimers
10-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh my God, Jan! Did you even watch the freakin' game!?!? We did not hold the Panthers running game in check...THEY stopped running the ball for some stupid reason. Williams averaged 5.6 yards a game and they ran for 115 yards, which a good team would consider bad!!! How low have your standards become to spin everything to make yourself feel good? I just don't see what you're talking about!?!?
It's freakin'amazing that we did everything wrong and still won. We never made a play, never held them on 4th down, never took advantage of their mistakes, never did anything right. I watched both games in their entirety, watched all of our problems, watched our opponents problems, and watched all of the good things we did as well. I'm frustrated too, but not as blinded by anger as you, who can't seem to see the positive things we do.

BillsOwnAll
10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
It's freakin'amazing that we did everything wrong and still won. We never made a play, never held them on 4th down, never took advantage of their mistakes, never did anything right. I watched both games in their entirety, watched all of our problems, watched our opponents problems, and watched all of the good things we did as well. I'm frustrated too, but not as blinded by anger as you, who can't seem to see the positive things we do.

Well if we intercept the ball. Score a Td. Hold them on 4th down. That doesnt mean were doing good things. It means the other team is sucking that bad! Gosh you didnt know that.

trapezeus
10-29-2009, 09:29 AM
here is a "what if" scenario for you:

The bills make the playoffs this year and proceed to go to the playoffs then next 10 years, however it starts a 10 year drought (actually longer) of not winning a single playoff game. ARe we better for that?

My answer is no. We aren't looking to merely get into the playoffs, we want a superbowl. The playoffs are just the first step. We aren't taking that step. and if we do this year, it doesn't look likely that we'll go any further. I want to be a relevant team. I want to win a championship or feel like we're trying.

I don't get that sense.

Sunday after the jets and carolina win i was pleased and it felt better than losing, but i know in the longrun, its not helping us get better. and that's frustrating because i've been waiting to get better for 10 years now.

justasportsfan
10-29-2009, 09:34 AM

we actually have to win some playoffs games too.