X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xXSpIkes5IXx
    • Mar 2006

A what if scenario

Let me first start off by saying, we have won 2 straight games. However, other than picking off passes, we've pretty much played like crap.

We sit at 3-4, apparently on our way to more mediocrity that we have come to expect. Fans have their usual "what ifs" (leodis and roscoe), and the line and QB play look like they always do....

However, part of me remains hopeful. Things change in the NFL very quickly. Perhaps Jauron and the team hit their stride next week against Houston, and we can make something of this season. Maybe Trent's time off will allow him to regain his fragmented confidence. Remember, we have seen Trent get it done, in the first half of last year, as well as the first few games this year.

With a schedule that is somewhat favorable, it is still possible to save this season...

except our coach is dick jauron

Before we start scouting our top pick for next year, lets watch a few more games...
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: A what if scenario

i applaud the optimism. but the last 3 years, haven't we gone through this exact same routine.

1. excitement for season
    2. upset about a close loss
    3. team seemingly implodes, everyone is angry
    4. put a couple wins together against bad teams
    5. enter the playoff mix
    6. blow the next game after being discussed for playoffs
    7. one more game before they are mathematically eliminated, blow that
    8. no one wants jauron back
    9. last 1-3 games are meaningless and we lose each one as the team doesn't show up.

Aren't we just inbetween steps 4 and 5?

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by xXSpIkes5IXx
      Let me first start off by saying, we have won 2 straight games. However, other than picking off passes, we've pretty much played like crap.

We sit at 3-4, apparently on our way to more mediocrity that we have come to expect. Fans have their usual "what ifs" (leodis and roscoe), and the line and QB play look like they always do....

However, part of me remains hopeful. Things change in the NFL very quickly. Perhaps Jauron and the team hit their stride next week against Houston, and we can make something of this season. Maybe Trent's time off will allow him to regain his fragmented confidence. Remember, we have seen Trent get it done, in the first half of last year, as well as the first few games this year.

With a schedule that is somewhat favorable, it is still possible to save this season...

except our coach is dick jauron

Before we start scouting our top pick for next year, lets watch a few more games...
      Mathematically we are still in it. In fact if we beat Hou, Miami beats the Jets and Baltimore loses to Denver we own the 6th playoff seed going into the bye. Obviously that means nothing, but its still pretty cool when you think about how horrible we have played, and yet we are still in the thick of things. It still stands to reason though that we will not make the post season if we continue to be anemic on offense. If our offense could score points, the defense may make this a playoff team. But it would take something close to a miracle to jump start this offense. They are down right terrible.
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

1. We should've beat the Patriots, keeping us 1 game from being 2-1 in the division and 4-3, tied for first in the division. A moot point, but we play them in our house next.
        2. If we beat the Jets again, and beat Miami and New England @ Home, we look good in the division.
        3. Of the 4 road games we have left (5 I guess with the Jets), the combined records are 8-17. Kansas City and Tennessee have a combined 1 win and look horrendous, while Jacksonville is a wildcard with MJD in the backfield and Atlanta is... well Atlanta. That is a potential 3-1 on the road.
        4. With our depleted secondary still being ranked 10th in pass D, when Scott and Whitner return, things should get better in the run defense aspect of the safety position.
        5. Indy should be resting by the time we meet up with them.
        6. Houston, New England, and Indy are primarily passing teams. Again, 10th ranked pass D.
        7. Henne doesn't scare me in Miami, drop 8 in the box and stop that ****ing Wildcat. Garrard has very little to throw to.
        8. You're a Bills fan. Believe in your team.

^That is optimism. Suck it haters.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Confident teams play well too. We've won two in a row, the team may start acting like it.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
            My IQ Test results came back negative
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
            Confident teams play well too. We've won two in a row, the team may start acting like it.
            Optimism isnt allowed on this board. We suck We will always suck and we will never regain any type of greatness.

Comment

• Nighthawk
              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
              1. We should've beat the Patriots, keeping us 1 game from being 2-1 in the division and 4-3, tied for first in the division. A moot point, but we play them in our house next.
              2. If we beat the Jets again, and beat Miami and New England @ Home, we look good in the division.
              3. Of the 4 road games we have left (5 I guess with the Jets), the combined records are 8-17. Kansas City and Tennessee have a combined 1 win and look horrendous, while Jacksonville is a wildcard with MJD in the backfield and Atlanta is... well Atlanta. That is a potential 3-1 on the road.
              4. With our depleted secondary still being ranked 10th in pass D, when Scott and Whitner return, things should get better in the run defense aspect of the safety position.
              5. Indy should be resting by the time we meet up with them.
              6. Houston, New England, and Indy are primarily passing teams. Again, 10th ranked pass D.
              7. Henne doesn't scare me in Miami, drop 8 in the box and stop that ****ing Wildcat. Garrard has very little to throw to.
              8. You're a Bills fan. Believe in your team.

^That is optimism. Suck it haters.
              No, it's ignorance...big difference.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

A question to the "realists":

When will you begin thinking we're any good?

Say we beat Houston...we've beaten the Jets, who we were never supposed to beat...we then beat the Panthers, who were favored...if we beat the Texans, Titans and Jags and are 7-4, then what? Are we any good? If we then beat the Phins, are we good?

Or do we have to actually make the playoffs to be any good?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                  No, it's ignorance...big difference.
                  Please go a little further into why his post was ignorant, then we can respect your post a little more.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                    Please go a little further into why his post was ignorant, then we can respect your post a little more.
                    Our defense is ranked 10th against because teams can run all over us...the numbers are skewed. Just assuming that this team is going to go on the road and win because they were given two victories by two bad teams the past two weeks is silly. Anybody who watched this team the past two weeks, knows that they didn't play well...they happened to play against QB's who were totally inept. Trying to sell this team as a playoff contender is ignorant because you're ignoring what you see on Sundays and how poorly they continue to play.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                      • Oct 2002

Earning a win and being given one are 2 different things. Its always "what if" some of those "what ifs" didnt happen. Im not happy how Buffalo has played the last 2 games but ill take the W's. Saying "what if" Buffalo beats NE @ home is funny. The Patriots are not the same team Buffalo faced week 1. So "what if" it doesnt happen? Always 2 sides to the "what if".

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Say we beat Houston...we've beaten the Jets, who we were never supposed to beat...we then beat the Panthers, who were favored...if we beat the Texans, Titans and Jags and are 7-4, then what? Are we any good? If we then beat the Phins, are we good?

I think if the bills actually win a game as opposed to just watching another team out error them.

We are at this point of a 3+ year rebuild that we should have an identity. We should be able to run the ball well. We should be able to come up with 3rd down stops and then see the offense take some time off the clock and score a touchdown.

We should be able to expect competent time management at the end of the half and see that we are trying to maximize putting points on the board as opposed to running the clock out.

We shouldn't have to play not to lose. When we are up in the fourth quarter, we should be able to dictate the tempo and run the clock with good running plays that pick up first downs.

We should be able to keep up with a good team.

We should be able to make a team fall behind and play away from their strengths and try to catch up.

We should be building momentum in a game instead of constantly pissing away any momentum with stupid mistakes and bad penalties.

There are alot of things they need to do, but its not a lot of difficult stuff. It's just basic stuff that we'd expect from a well run team.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                          • Aug 2002

I will start to think this team might be "any good" when I don't feel the shame and embarassment that I've grown accustomed to while watching the games.

When my wife stops asking why I put myself through the emotional turmoil for a team that she's never seen have a winning season in the 9 years we've been together.

When we put together a decent record (above 500) that features wins versus opponents with similarly good records.

Right now, I have simple goals to root for: An offense that can consistently put up more points than the number of accepted penalties in a game. A logical and well managed final 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. And perhaps a WR core that catches 5 or more passes in a game that are actually beyond the line of scrimmage.

I could actually not care less about the playoffs right now. I just want some small return on my rather large emotional investment over the past couple decades.
                          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Feb 2009

The year Baltimore went to the Super Bowl their offense was horrendous. Actually record setting bad if I believe. If you go here, you'll see they actually went 5 straight GAMES without scoring a touchdown.

Now look, I'm not saying our defense is like theirs was. I'm not saying we're going to the Super Bowl. I'm just saying that style points only mean **** to nerds on the internet. The guys in the locker room are getting some W's which WILL add to their confidence.

Confidence, momentum...Believing in your team, those are as big a factor as X's and O's and timeout management.

My expectations are in check. I don't expect anything. But, if your on the team there has got to be a little head nodding going on. They have won 2 games without playing their best football. In the past, they'd play their best and barely win or lose.

Houston, honestly, they are 2 different teams. They show up like every other week and luckily for us, they showed up last week. I could honestly see the Bills kinda putting it to them. Their defense blows. Their o line blows. Shaub is shakable and breakable. Johnson is banged up.

The X factor for us Steve Slaton. We stop him and we win. Period.

It's gonna be hard for me to ignore them being 4-4 on the break and 3-1 over the last 4 if it happens. Jauron's teams since he got here have traditionally come out from the bye and gotten better.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

from the interviews, i don't get the sense that the team is gaining confidence. i think they know they stole those two games and were happy with the outcome, but i think they are just as aware of the holes as the "internet nerds"

Comment

Working...
                              X