PDA

View Full Version : Racism in college football

psubills62
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
To me, this kind of thing is unacceptable.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-29-northwestern-football-oct29,0,6439042.story

'Another coach told me that if he tried to sign a white, red-headed kid from central Missouri as a tailback, he would get laughed out of the meeting room. That's offensive to me because if he's not athletic because he's white, then I'm not intelligent because I'm black.'

I'm sure most people will shrug it off as a "well, it's usually true" sort of thing. But the coach put it very well with what he said. If it's fine to apply stereotypes to white kids, we might as well apply them to black kids too, without any uproar from Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

Anyway, I could go on quite a bit about this, but I'd like to see what other people say.

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Stereotypes apply to all people, not just one specific demographic.

psubills62
10-29-2009, 02:08 PM

The problem is, when people admit to using stereotypes for blacks, gays, women, etc. (the "oppressed" minorities), they're publicly roasted, attacked, whatever you want to call it. But when the exact same thing happens to whites (specifically white males), nobody cares.

To me, the people gunning hard for "equality" don't actually want everyone to be on equal ground. It seems to me they want advantages for particular groups of people, and that's what they've got under the pretense of "equality."

Jan Reimers
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Just another example of the double standard that has pervaded our country for many years.

Ingtar33
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
when you create a system to protect certain people based on race or sex, you've already created inequality.

all people should be treated the same by the law and society reguardless of race, creed or sex.

yordad
10-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Well, on a side note, are there any white tailbacks?

JD
10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
White people are scared of the "race card", that's really all there is to it. It's as if most feel they owe african americans something because of slavery which obviously didn't happen in our lifetime and that's why racism against whites gets swept under the rug, with nothing but a whimper.

The term "race" does nothing but cause the initial separation. Like the "N" word was "killed", the word "race" needs to be shot.

DraftBoy
10-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Sigh....This comes up every year.

ONe side says its a race problem because black athletes get preference over white athletes.

The other says that white coaches and admin get preferences over black coaches and admin.

Both have fair points and the college ranks (especially down here) is still very much a good ol boys network.

Two examples to support each argument:

White Athlete-Danny Woodhead
-Who here without having to look him up know who he is, where he went to school, or what record he owns in the NCAA?

Black Coach-Charlie Strong or Turner Gill
-Both have been passed on for jobs at either a more prolific title (Strong) or university (Gill) both are far more deserving of where they are now.

Is it 100% race motivated? I dont think so, but it definitely plays a factor.

psubills62
10-30-2009, 08:15 AM

ONe side says its a race problem because black athletes get preference over white athletes.

The other says that white coaches and admin get preferences over black coaches and admin.

Both have fair points and the college ranks (especially down here) is still very much a good ol boys network.

-Who here without having to look him up know who he is, where he went to school, or what record he owns in the NCAA?

-Both have been passed on for jobs at either a more prolific title (Strong) or university (Gill) both are far more deserving of where they are now.

Is it 100% race motivated? I dont think so, but it definitely plays a factor.

Well the extent I know of Woodhead is that he went to a Division II (I think) school, where he broke the all-time yardage record. The main reason I know about his is because I went to the undergraduate college of the previous owner of that record.

Beyond that, I don't know anything about him.

I don't know anything about Strong, but I completely agree that Gill has not gotten a fair shake. That being said, his story, from what I've seen, has gotten a LOT more press than any of the white non-athlete stuff.

psubills62
10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, on a side note, are there any white tailbacks?

Toby Gerhart?

psubills62
10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
White people are scared of the "race card", that's really all there is to it. It's as if most feel they owe african americans something because of slavery which obviously didn't happen in our lifetime and that's why racism against whites gets swept under the rug, with nothing but a whimper.

The term "race" does nothing but cause the initial separation. Like the "N" word was "killed", the word "race" needs to be shot.

Unfortunately it's the people in power who are scared of it. I've never felt like I owed anyone anything, but obviously politicians feel differently. After all, they need those voters, right?

I'm an engineer, and I'm a pretty practical person. I could not care less what the color of someone's skin is, if you get the job done well, then I'd hire you in a second.

So maybe it's naivety, but it amazes me when I hear about this kind of stuff. And it goes both ways. It's definitely a little suspicious that Gill hasn't gotten a better job than Buffalo at this point. But it's also hard to understand why a player isn't recruiting much simply because of being white, even though he played extraordinarily well.

LooneyBin
10-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Stereotypes would not exist if there weren't any truth to them.

Ingtar33
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
The problem with African Americans getting head coaching jobs is in the team boosters

The boosters are where the college makes it's money. if the athletic department chooses someone who the boosters don't like they won't give money to the school. I'm pretty much convinced that it was the boosters who torpedoed Turner Gill getting the Auburn or Nebraska coaching vacancy.

psubills62
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
The problem with African Americans getting head coaching jobs is in the team boosters

The boosters are where the college makes it's money. if the athletic department chooses someone who the boosters don't like they won't give money to the school. I'm pretty much convinced that it was the boosters who torpedoed Turner Gill getting the Auburn or Nebraska coaching vacancy.

If your conviction about the boosters is true, that's pretty terrible. Especially when it's multiple people, and not just one person trying to keep Gill from getting the job. I hope he gets a better job opportunity very soon.

methos4ever
11-01-2009, 08:43 AM
And Strong has even been on record that despite his stellar record as a DC and a recruiter, the fact that he is black and his wife is white has led to him not getting a sniff.

Personally, as a black man that coaches on a team of otherwise white coaches, the one thing that tied them before race could was that they all played for the team prior to coaching on it. My record at other schools, coupled with knowing an alum that could vouch for me gave me a chance, not affirmative action, which made me proud.

Dozerdog
11-01-2009, 08:51 AM
To me, this kind of thing is unacceptable.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-29-northwestern-football-oct29,0,6439042.story

I'm sure most people will shrug it off as a "well, it's usually true" sort of thing. But the coach put it very well with what he said. If it's fine to apply stereotypes to white kids, we might as well apply them to black kids too, without any uproar from Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

Anyway, I could go on quite a bit about this, but I'd like to see what other people say.

I'm going to take the other side on this- I think J Freeman would make a really ****ty tailback. Sure he would be hard to tackle because he can't walk a straight line after 20 beers, but he's got zero speed

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/../gallery2/d/46718-3/Photo089.jpg (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/../gallery2/v/2008_Bills_Photos/2008_tailgate/BrunnersPre-TailgateParty-September6_2008/Photo089.jpg.html)

SABURZFAN
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
i feel sorry for people who are 60+ years behind the times. i've noticed racism more living back here in the WNY area for the past year than when i lived in Vegas for the near 20 years i was there.

psubills62
11-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm going to take the other side on this- I think J Freeman would make a really ****ty tailback. Sure he would be hard to tackle because he can't walk a straight line after 20 beers, but he's got zero speed

Who?

psubills62
11-01-2009, 11:29 AM
And Strong has even been on record that despite his stellar record as a DC and a recruiter, the fact that he is black and his wife is white has led to him not getting a sniff.

Personally, as a black man that coaches on a team of otherwise white coaches, the one thing that tied them before race could was that they all played for the team prior to coaching on it. My record at other schools, coupled with knowing an alum that could vouch for me gave me a chance, not affirmative action, which made me proud.

That's exactly how it should be done. The color of someone's skin shouldn't matter, and neither should the color of the skin of his/her spouse. It's too bad that the merits of a player or coach's credentials aren't the only thing that is looked at.

Ingtar33
11-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Probably the best coach on my staff is African American. It's my hopes, if i leave the school for any reason he'll take the head coach spot. Lord knows he should have had a shot at the HC spot with a program by now, but those schools losses has been my gain. What i think is unforgivable is how a guy with his overwhelming skill at both recruiting and coaching hasn't even been interviewed yet (for a HC spot).

methos4ever
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Probably the best coach on my staff is African American. It's my hopes, if i leave the school for any reason he'll take the head coach spot. Lord knows he should have had a shot at the HC spot with a program by now, but those schools losses has been my gain. What i think is unforgivable is how a guy with his overwhelming skill at both recruiting and coaching hasn't even been interviewed yet (for a HC spot).

Like you said, their loss is your gain. And I've noticed myself that depending on the area it can be 2009 or 1959. The biggest thing is to find someone to give you that chance. Unlike your coach, I definitely don't feel ready yet to make the leap to HC, but when I do I can only pray that I find a school that wants what I have to bring to the table.

And a thank you to this board in particular (Scouting Zone) because despite the failures of the Bills at present I can talk ball, talk scouting and now talk life in and around football without it being combatative!

MassEffect218435
11-02-2009, 09:08 AM

Is it 100% race motivated? I dont think so, but it definitely plays a factor.I do...

MassEffect218435
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
People like Sharpton and Jackson keep racism strong.

Bmax
11-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Your right .....But Glen Beck and Rush aren't too far behind....

Bmax
11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Lack of Black Head coaches in College football is embrassing...No way should there be only 5 or 6 what ever the number is...None in the Sec or Acc..

I remember when Caldwell coached for Wake that's the only coach i can remember in that conf. ever...

Bmax

DraftBoy
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Lack of Black Head coaches in College football is embrassing...No way should there be only 5 or 6 what ever the number is...None in the Sec or Acc..

I remember when Caldwell coached for Wake that's the only coach i can remember in that conf. ever...

Bmax

Sylvester Croom was the first and only SEC Black Head Coach for Mississippi State up until last season.

That's the only other one I can recall right now.

LooneyBin
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Does the white house know? The both of them along with black panther group leader, malik shabazz have been guests at the white house. Oh what iz I gonna do?