PDA

View Full Version : Not so fast Bills fans, Dick may be back.

BillsWin
10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
We all love to hate him, but that doesn't guarantee him leaving
-BillsWin

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6d/fullj.4609b329b45ae9f939530aef8afc9c7e/4609b329b45ae9f939530aef8afc9c7e-getty-88972032gh018_buffalo_bills.jpg
Head coach Dick Jauron smiles and walks off the field following a 20-9 win over the Carolina Panthers in week 7.

Richard Manuel Jauron is not the ideal coach for Buffalo Bills fans. Many, including myself, see him as an arrogant ***** who absolutely refuses to show an ounce of emotion or will to win on the sidelines. Nor does he turn in good enough results to have earned the right to remain so stoic and emotionless in the face of loss after loss after loss.

Dick has not lost 12 or 14 games in a season. But often times, middle-of-the-road can be just as bad as bottom feeder when it comes to the national football league. 7-9 three seasons in a row does just enough to keep you out of post season contention, and just enough to keep you from landing top ten talent.

Jauron is 24-31 as the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and the loyal fan base of the team is fed up with mediocrity. The "fire dick" movement has gained as much momentum as to have fans raise money to put up billboards. Fans wear bags over their heads at games and make signs clamoring for team owner Ralph Wilson Jr. to make a move.

Just when Buffalo fans thought they would get what they wanted with the team hitting rock bottom, something extraordinary happened. The Bills started to win. Ugly though it has been, the Bills have won two in a row, both on the road and one against a division opponent. It was Buffalo's first division win since 2007. Their defense has picked up the slack that their anemic offense has created and early mistakes made on special teams have been at a minimum.

At 3-4 overall and 1-2 in the division, Buffalo is still in playoff contention. In fact, if Buffalo were to win against the Houston Texans this weekend at home and Baltimore loses along with Miami beating the New York Jets, the Bills have possession of the 6th seed heading into their bye week. It doesn't mean much this early in the season, but it is mind boggling how this team is still alive after such a brutal start to the season.

So Bills fans, although you may enjoy talking about new head coach possibilities and yes, there are alot of big-names and shiny prospects out there, hold your horses. Dick ain't done yet.

There are three main reasons why owner Ralph Wilson would keep Dick one more season.

1. If he makes the playoffs.

2. If he comes very close to making the playoffs.

3. If Wilson does not feel like dishing out the $6 million it would take to buy out his contract.

There are others potential reasons for continued employment of course, such as people close to Wilson having Jauron's back, the players having Jauron's back and the "injury excuse" etc. etc. etc.

Jauron is no where near the best option at the head coaching spot. For every pro he brings to the team, he brings several cons. The one main thing he has working for him is the fact that he can get players to play above their payroll and another thing, his players won't quit on him. That would be great, if he knew how to win ball games and not just ones against teams with losing records or quarterbacks who give balls away like candy on Halloween.

The main thing to remember is that Buffalo and its fans may have to face the fact that not only will Jauron maintain his job through until the end of the season, but that they may have to endure another year of Dick.

Jauron has a favorable schedule ahead of him. If the Bills can get to 4-4 after this Sunday, they have a bye week. Then they face five teams with defenses ranked 20th and under in the league. Along with the Jets (10th ranked) whom they have already beaten. They have a stretch of games coming off a bye in which they play Tennessee (0-6), Jacksonville (3-3), Miami (2-4), New York Jets (4-3) and Kansas City (1-6).

Right now, the Bills may be staring down the barrel of their fourth straight 7-9 season, but then again maybe they're looking at a slightly better season than last year. If the Bills go 9-7 or 10-6 this year and miss the playoffs by very little, Wilson may just be convinced enough to keep him one more season. I know that seems like a bad thing, but there are some other problems on this team that if fixed, even a Jauron could win with.

First step is finding a franchise quarterback, which the Bills have not had since Jim Kelly. They need to get healthy on the offensive line, and find a dynamic left tackle to shut down the outside pass rush and protect what should be a young quarter back next season. The Bills need a game changing outside linebacker, and a wide receiver to replace Terrell Owens who will most likely not be a Bill come next year. Not to mention needing an offensive coordinator who can put his players in a position to score points.

If the Bills can work on a few of their glaring holes it sets them up for a nice run. And while we would all like to see someone else on the sidelines calling the shots, there is a chance "skeletor" will be back for one more run as a head coach in Bills colors. So brace yourselves and cheer the Bills on if they continue to win, but be warned that with every win Jauron will get closer to keeping his job for just a little longer. :whistling

Nighthawk
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Like I've said, every loss is better for this franchise then winning a few meaningless games and finishing 7-9 or 8-8. If anybody has a problem seeing the reason why, then I feel sorry for you.

BillsWin
10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Like I've said, every loss is better for this franchise then winning a few meaningless games and finishing 7-9 or 8-8. If anybody has a problem seeing the reason why, then I feel sorry for you.

Yup. What does that record get us? Possibly more Dick if Ralph so chooses.

nateodoms'bff
10-30-2009, 11:58 PM
So all the Bills need in the off season and draft is 3 franchise players at three positions that seem to be the hardest ones to fill since the "glory" years?

I know you worked hard on this, but that is not a new thought on this team. Half of NFL franchises could use those same 3 franchise players.

Who are those players? Any Free Agent suggestions?

Personally, I would love for the Bills to draft a young development QB, and make an attempt to sign Jason Campbell. He has size, smarts, and a big arm. His problem is that he has never had any consistency. Much like most of the Bills QB's since Jim Kelly. Campbell has enough arm to play in the cold of the AFC East, and knows how to play the game.

The Bills have a young and solid Offensive Line. regardless of what people on this board think. Demetrius Bell is a good LT. He is learning one of the most important positions in all of football, while starting. He has blocked well, and has shown many flashes of brilliance. The Bills will not draft a LT in the 1st round, maybe in late rounds for another project.

The Bills have WR's that can play. Steve Johnson would be a great compliment to Lee Evans, and James Hardy has potential through the roof.

Linebacker is the biggest problem this team has. The best option I see is to do whatever it takes to draft Brandon Spikes. He has the potential to be a super star in the NFL for many years.

Im not opposed to another Dick Jauron season in Buffalo. If he wins this year, then the rebuilding process that was started 3 seasons ago, is working. A winning record after 4 seasons is about average in the NFL. Changing now, would only ensure another 4-5 seasons without a playoff run.

A lot depends on this season, and this next game against Houston. IF the Bills manage a victory, they will have beaten 2 teams that a lot of analysts thought were poised to make a run at division titles this season. Thats going to bring a lot of confidence to the locker room, which I feel, would make them play harder for Jauron. Its the Tom Coughlin effect. The players love him, and will fight for him. If that brings victories on Sundays, and a playoff game, I'll be the happiest football fan in the world.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2009, 12:42 AM
he'll be gone if they don't make the playoffs

Michael82
10-31-2009, 01:31 AM
I've been getting the same queasy feeling. I don't know why, but it appears there are a lot of ****ty teams and mediocre teams. I could definitely see another 7-9 or even 8-8 season convincing Ralph to keep Jauron for another year and using the injuries as the big excuse. :ill: :puke:

SquishDaFish
10-31-2009, 05:53 AM

Just face it he isnt going anywhere no matter what. Ralph isnt going to waist the 6M its going to take to release him. Get over it

don137
10-31-2009, 06:30 AM
I am not too worried about Dick being gone. Yes, they have won two in a row but for the most part they havehave looked bad doing it and IMO they won those games because of mistakes on the other team (sanchez having a bad game and throwing too much when they were running successfully and puttin the ball in Delhomme's hands instead of running more).
Ralph would lose a lot more is season ticket sales and merchandise sales over the cost of Jauron's contract and I think he knows it.

Typ0
10-31-2009, 07:08 AM
we have a good stretch of bad teams here we're going to play. If we can get some QB play we'll win these games and DJ will be back next year. I expect him to be back anyway but some of these losses have really been unacceptable and someone has to pay it could be him. As I've said elsewhere, DJ will likely be back next season and the team will be better because they are going to make a move for some quarterbacking. Someone, somewhere is responsible for our QB position still being crap. I just can't believe DJ is that stupid because he's a football coach. He may be just what we need in the organization to tug on the strings long enough to get something done...the next guy could just delay the process and get another project QB with hopes he turns out good. I say piss on that there is just not that much opportunity to be squandering this team next year as it's been growing and could fill out nicely.

yordad
10-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Very interesting BW. I really enjoyed it. Jauron is emotionless, however I personally wouldn't descibe him as a "arrogant *****".

DynaPaul
10-31-2009, 07:30 AM
If Jauron is back next year you're gonna see season tickets sales take a huge dive and this time any big free agent splash, ala T.O., isn't gonna save them.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-31-2009, 07:49 AM
the bills won 2 games... dot worry... they will revert to form and be what they reallyare as the season goes on. 3-4 more wins will come and we will be in the same spot as last season... nowhere

Dick stays/Dick goes its all the same now.

PECKERWOOD
10-31-2009, 07:53 AM
I hope we do make the playoffs, Dick Jauron is a class act, just a piss poor coach thus far. There is nothing more that I'd like than good, solid coaching and consistency in this franchise.

Typ0
10-31-2009, 08:01 AM
If Jauron is back next year you're gonna see season tickets sales take a huge dive and this time and big free
agent splash, ala T.O., isn't gonna save them.

If this team finishes at .500 and they make a move for a legit QB during the off-season they are going to have no problems with ticket sales if DJ is back. If they then go on with said QB and make the playoffs we will be looking at DJ getting another extension. I think this is what's going to happen myself.

MassEffect218435
10-31-2009, 08:12 AM
There is no doubt about it, Jauron will be back. Wilson will not do what it takes to buy him out and Jauron will manage 7 wins again.

SABURZFAN
10-31-2009, 10:22 AM
I've been getting the same queasy feeling. I don't know why, but it appears there are a lot of ****ty teams and mediocre teams. I could definitely see another 7-9 or even 8-8 season convincing Ralph to keep Jauron for another year and using the injuries as the big excuse. :ill: :puke:

still want to bet those ZB's? :biggrin:

THATHURMANATOR
10-31-2009, 10:38 AM
I hear what you are saying but I just can't root for them to lose..... I WANT TO BUT I CAN'T..... I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! LOL

Nighthawk
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Just face it he isnt going anywhere no matter what. Ralph isnt going to waist the 6M its going to take to release him. Get over it

Nope...I don't except mediocrity like you...it's not my style.

Nighthawk
10-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I hear what you are saying but I just can't root for them to lose..... I WANT TO BUT I CAN'T..... I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! LOL

I hear ya Thurm...I'll do it for both of us and those that don't like it, will be screaming how happy they are if the Bills DO lose the rest of their games and Dickey isn't here.

dplus47
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
ralph should make a move for a real GM. if that person is willing to work with dick for a year, then he should keep dick and see what happens. dick has not had a solid coaching record, but if he breaks .500 with all the changes on the OL and the injuries, it should go down as one of his better years. get the guy some players and if he backslides, get rid of him.

yordad
10-31-2009, 12:46 PM
ralph should make a move for a real GM. if that person is willing to work with dick for a year, then he should keep dick and see what happens. dick has not had a solid coaching record, but if he breaks .500 with all the changes on the OL and the injuries, it should go down as one of his better years. get the guy some players and if he backslides, get rid of him.I made this exact same post!............... Two years ago!

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I would rather have dick be our coach next year than have edwards be our quarterback.

OpIv37
10-31-2009, 05:37 PM
We don't love to hate him.

We love to win. We hate him because he doesn't win.

We'd all be much happier if he started winning so we could stop hating him.

HAMMER
10-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Anybody that roots against their team for any reason is a DOUCHE!

TheBrownBear
10-31-2009, 11:19 PM
We will win 8 games and it will be considered an improvement and a launching point for next year's "playoff run." We will never be rid of Dick "the undead" Jauron.

kernowboy
11-01-2009, 05:18 AM
Bell might have all the athleticism in the world but is extremely weak. There is a reason he lasted until the 7th round.

We need an elite bodyguard of the likes of Ryan Clady who gave up 0.5sacks as a rookie in his first season total. If Bell gives that up in one game its something to shout about. We need quality here so

R1 Bruce Campbell, Maryland LT

We need need to upgrade at QB but I'm not sure signing a castoff is the way to go. Jason Campbell has essentially failed and there is no reason why a rookie QB couldn't come in from Day1. I am not convinced there is a QB head and shoulders above the rest in this draft and I am not convinced that Bradford is much better than Pike, or Clausen or Locker or Devlin. We want to avoid an averaged arm system QB like Colt McCoy though. My bet:

R2 Pat Devlin, Delaware, WR (a better prospect than Flacco?)

LB is an issue. We need to upgrade Ellison and is Mitchell really the answer. There are plenty of decent LBs in the next draft and having someone who can play both inside and out would be advantageous allowing us to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and back when required. I'd go

R3 Sean Lee Penn St LB

With Owens off and Reed not being resigned we still have decent talent in Evans, Hardy and Johnson. A Day3 pick here (its now a 3day draft) to come in as a 4th WR would be well spent. So

Day3 (R4-7) Nathan Roosevelt Buffalo WR

Sorted :)

Typ0
11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
So you see QB upgrade is a need...but you're willing to go with a rookie which is a total crap shoot yet you admit the rookie class isn't looking that good. Thanks for the input I'm glad i read that.

Bell might have all the athleticism in the world but is extremely weak. There is a reason he lasted until the 7th round.

We need an elite bodyguard of the likes of Ryan Clady who gave up 0.5sacks as a rookie in his first season total. If Bell gives that up in one game its something to shout about. We need quality here so

R1 Bruce Campbell, Maryland LT

We need need to upgrade at QB but I'm not sure signing a castoff is the way to go. Jason Campbell has essentially failed and there is no reason why a rookie QB couldn't come in from Day1. I am not convinced there is a QB head and shoulders above the rest in this draft and I am not convinced that Bradford is much better than Pike, or Clausen or Locker or Devlin. We want to avoid an averaged arm system QB like Colt McCoy though. My bet:

R2 Pat Devlin, Delaware, WR (a better prospect than Flacco?)

LB is an issue. We need to upgrade Ellison and is Mitchell really the answer. There are plenty of decent LBs in the next draft and having someone who can play both inside and out would be advantageous allowing us to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and back when required. I'd go

R3 Sean Lee Penn St LB

With Owens off and Reed not being resigned we still have decent talent in Evans, Hardy and Johnson. A Day3 pick here (its now a 3day draft) to come in as a 4th WR would be well spent. So

Day3 (R4-7) Nathan Roosevelt Buffalo WR

Sorted :)

NorthCarBills
11-01-2009, 06:58 AM

I was "trying" to explain this to a Jets fan last night. I never (and physically/mentally cannot) root for the Bills to lose when watching a game.

However, the hard part to explain was not being upset if they do lose right now - contradictory to all years past. It's like a win-win situation at the moment.

bigbub2352
11-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Only way we gain some respectability back as an organization is to pony up and get a real football mind in here and a staff not from the dollar store
Everytime they win it makes me feel like we move farther away from this happening

How does RW not see that he dished out6.5mil to TO to sell tickets, and he will sell just as many letting TO walk and use that salary to pay for a Gruden Holmgren Shananhan type?

Makes no sense i feel like the fans in Major League getting them ready to ship off to Toronto

SABURZFAN
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

we kinda knew that.

Mike13
11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Then they face five teams with defenses ranked 20th and under in the league

It doesnt matter when Fitzpatrick is a ****ty QB at best.

SABURZFAN
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
It doesnt matter when Fitzpatrick is a ****ty QB at best.

you can't convince the Edwards haters that he is.

kernowboy
11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
So you see QB upgrade is a need...but you're willing to go with a rookie which is a total crap shoot yet you admit the rookie class isn't looking that good. Thanks for the input I'm glad i read that.

Err, where did I say the rookie class wasn't that good?

I actually said there was no stand out candidate, and someone like Clausen who currently seems to be a favourite doesn't seem that much better a prospect that a guy like Pike or Devlin who might very well be there in Round2

However the fall off at LT is much steeper and once you get past Chung, Campbell, and Brown, there are question marks as to whether Bulaga and Williams can be LT in the league.

So rather than panic and reach for a QB in R1, why not grab an elite LT and be confident we can get a starter in R2 or someone who can start very quickly.

Plenty of lower R1 and R2 QBs have proven to be the best of the class after some of their peers have gone earlier.

Typ0
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
How does RW not see that he dished out6.5mil to TO to sell tickets, and he will sell just as many letting TO walk and use that salary to pay for a Gruden Holmgren Shananhan type?

Ahh...but the player salaries are supplemented with revenue sharing but the coaches salaries aren't!

Typ0
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Because they are all a crap shoot! Especially with our stale lame organization doing the drafting.

Err, where did I say the rookie class wasn't that good?

I actually said there was no stand out candidate, and someone like Clausen who currently seems to be a favourite doesn't seem that much better a prospect that a guy like Pike or Devlin who might very well be there in Round2

However the fall off at LT is much steeper and once you get past Chung, Campbell, and Brown, there are question marks as to whether Bulaga and Williams can be LT in the league.

So rather than panic and reach for a QB in R1, why not grab an elite LT and be confident we can get a starter in R2 or someone who can start very quickly.

Plenty of lower R1 and R2 QBs have proven to be the best of the class after some of their peers have gone earlier.