PDA

View Full Version : Coy Wire - starter

TigerJ
09-02-2002, 05:26 PM
It's official. Coy Wire has won the starting spot at strong safety! GW said so today. I thought it would happen by mid season. Either Wire is a faster learner than anyone anticipated or Jenkins is not as good as everyone figured. I hope it's the former.

mybills
09-02-2002, 06:30 PM
I think it IS the former!:)

venis2k1
09-02-2002, 06:44 PM
i think that it is a combination of both...jenkins just never tickled my fantsy.

casdhf
09-02-2002, 06:48 PM
I thought Jenkins played well. But, we're still rebuilding, so let the guy get some experience

shelby
09-02-2002, 07:12 PM
i have been wanting Wire to start since preseason began. The kid can hustle...he wants to play...he makes mistakes, but he never gives up. i am a happy woman.:D
:cheers:

Novacane
09-02-2002, 07:40 PM
From everything I have heard and seen Wire is going to be a good one.

When they took him in rnd 3 I was saying Coy WHO? I admit I was wrong!

casdhf
09-02-2002, 07:40 PM
:lol:

TigerJ
09-02-2002, 09:57 PM
I agree about Coy Wire. He's smart and athletic, but most important he's got a great motor. He acts like he loves to play.

Sabre Ally
09-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by shelby
i have been wanting Wire to start since preseason began. The kid can hustle...he wants to play...he makes mistakes, but he never gives up. i am a happy woman.:D
:cheers:

Your favourite gets to start and mine gets waived :wail:

shelby
09-03-2002, 04:51 AM
no offense Ally...but it's about time something went my way;)

Sabre Ally
09-03-2002, 04:52 AM
True :D

SABURZFAN
09-03-2002, 05:06 AM
he has proven,since the first preseason game,that he deserves to be the starter.

mybills
09-03-2002, 07:30 AM
Watching Coy play in college was impressive! I can't wait to see him in the big league! :up:

Halbert
09-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Extremely impressive teaching job. To get a guy ready to start in the NFL at a position he's never played before is amazing. In a way it's probably the most signifcant accomplishment of this staff (with GW getting most of the credit).

Jenkins may not have been a probowler but with all his experience you would think he would HAVE to be better than a rook who is learning the job for the first time. I'm sure we'll have to live with some mistakes (like getting burned for a bomb by a TE) but if the coaches are correct he'll start making plays that Jenkins wouldn't.

Time will tell if the coaches made the right choice but assuming Wire works out they deserve a huge kudos for getting him ready.

Earthquake Enyart
09-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Wire makes plays. Mostly good, but some are bad. He'll get burned at least once Sunday, but he may also force a turnover.

timfromjersey
09-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I have to say that I'm astonished that a kid who is making a transition from college linebacker to pro. safety is getting the opening day start.

This event must be a testament to his athletic ability and drive.

I have not seen him play at all, but now I surely am looking foward to it!

colin
09-03-2002, 10:46 AM
This is a smart move.

If Wire gets hurt or burned too badly too often, Jenkins can jump in and provide better coverage. If Jenkins goes down/sits, Wire is still a rookie. I feel PP can handle the 4-6 FS (which is alot like a SS in most Ds) with Wire playing a 4th LB and covering the TE when he has too. If our Corners can cover 1 on 1, then this basically frees up a LB, Newman, to rush as a line man.

Me likey.

Sennsai
09-03-2002, 05:36 PM
:rocket:

Wire should be fine at SS. I think Jenkins will come in on passing downs, but Wire will remain on the field also.

From what I recall, Wire lead Stanford in rushing at Running Back his Freshman year, then switched over to LB his Junior year(having never played it before) and lead the team in tackles and 2nd in sacks. Senior season, he lead the team in tackles again.

From that info, it sounds like he's a fast learner and has superior athletic ability that allows him to just make plays on the field. I wonder with his instincts on the field, if our running game struggles if Wire would get a consideration ar RUNNING BACK next year??? I just wonder what he could do there.

I think we will be just fine in nickel and dime packages as Jenkins has played well too. Wire can play close to the line and Jenkins can be more of a cover man. I like Wire's instincts on the field with the way he flows(or flies) to the ball and makes the hit.

I am expecting Wire to make a lot of tackles and help the front line against the run, forcing a lot of 2nd and 9's and then 3rd and 7's downs etc...