PDA

View Full Version : Fake punt? Brilliant.

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
This is exactly why I hate the extra input that Bobby April has on this team.

That fake punt gave away the game.

hydro
11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
And you know for sure that Bobby April forced that decision? No, no you don't...

OpIv37
11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
First, it didn't cost us the game. The offense struggled the entire game and was not going to score.

Second, I liked the decision to fake. It was uncharacteristically gutsy of Jauron.

However, in that situation, with only 3 yards to go and in that position on the field, the reverse to a guy who doesn't handle the ball often was a stupid call. They should have either hiked it to one of the up men in front of Moorman or just let Moorman run for it himself. On TV it looked like he would have had it if he had just kept the ball.

ParanoidAndroid
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm with Op. Poor play selection.... good decision. They needed to try something to get things going.

Commissioner
11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I would of rather they did something tricky on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down rather than RUN, RUN, RUN, fake punt it.

Borosai
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
The reverse to T.O. was also an attempt to get things going: it didn't work. I think it was a bad call. 12 minutes left and only down by 7, you can't just give them 7 points. What were they going to do, pull off a few fake punts to move the ball down the field? There was too much time remaining to pull that on your side of the field.

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
The reverse to T.O. was also an attempt to get things going: it didn't work. I think it was a bad call. 12 minutes left and only down by 7, you can't just give them 7 points. What were they going to do, pull off a few fake punts to move the ball down the field? There was too much time remaining to pull that on your side of the field.

Bingo. We have a winner.

A 14 point lead became too big to overcome especially in light of how crappy our offense was already playing.

12 minutes left, 7 point game, you don't give away the game. If the play doesn't work, it's game over which is exactly what happened.

It wasn't gutsy but desperate.

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
First, it didn't cost us the game. The offense struggled the entire game and was not going to score.

Second, I liked the decision to fake. It was uncharacteristically gutsy of Jauron.

However, in that situation, with only 3 yards to go and in that position on the field, the reverse to a guy who doesn't handle the ball often was a stupid call. They should have either hiked it to one of the up men in front of Moorman or just let Moorman run for it himself. On TV it looked like he would have had it if he had just kept the ball.

Love ya but you are so wrong here.

12 minutes left and you are only down by 7. If the play doesn't work you at least guaranteed a the Texans a field goal which makes it a two score game.

It's a very stupid call. Maybe you try this if you are on there 40, not ours.

hydro
11-01-2009, 06:35 PM
It just smells of desperation. Not a surprising move IMO. With a offense like we had today, I can see why they would be desperate to make something happen.

OpIv37
11-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Love ya but you are so wrong here.

12 minutes left and you are only down by 7. If the play doesn't work you at least guaranteed a the Texans a field goal which makes it a two score game.

It's a very stupid call. Maybe you try this if you are on there 40, not ours.

sorry but for Jauron's entire career, I've been critical of him for not being gutsy. For once, he made a gutsy call. Was there some desperation in it? Probably. But if the Bills convert that play, then we're not having this conversation right now.

Also, up to that point the D was playing exceedingly well, so for once Jauron showed some faith in the D. He certainly had no reason to have faith in the O.

It was a risky call, but Jauron's conservatism in the past has gotten us nowhere. This team needs to take more chances and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

hydro
11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
How many people here would have been complaining if Jauron was conservative all game and didn't do something like this? Plenty!

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
sorry but for Jauron's entire career, I've been critical of him for not being gutsy. For once, he made a gutsy call. Was there some desperation in it? Probably. But if the Bills convert that play, then we're not having this conversation right now.

Also, up to that point the D was playing exceedingly well, so for once Jauron showed some faith in the D. He certainly had no reason to have faith in the O.

It was a risky call, but Jauron's conservatism in the past has gotten us nowhere. This team needs to take more chances and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

The D was playing well so let them try to make something happen with the Texans starting on their own 20 instead of trying to stop them on our 37.

Seriously, you didn't think the game was over at that point? I'm sure the players did as well.

That play gave them the game. That's not gutsy but stupid.

Oaf
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM

You know what gave up the game? Calling a toss-sweep on 3rd on 2.

- Inexperience of our line
- Effectiveness of inside running that drive with Jackson
- Overall gains from that play this season (have we ever gained the corner running that?)

Terrible, terrible, slow-developing call that I put squarely on AVP. He really eff'd us there.

yordad
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
The Bills would have lost either way, but that call certainly didn't help them.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
You know what gave up the game? Calling a toss-sweep on 3rd on 2.

- Inexperience of our line
- Effectiveness of inside running that drive with Jackson
- Overall gains from that play this season (have we ever gained the corner running that?)

Terrible, terrible, slow-developing call that I put squarely on AVP. He really eff'd us there.

Anybody remember the last time the Bills were able to run an effective sweep? What about a screen?

BILLSROCK1212
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
it wouldn't have been a bad call if we didn't do the same thing in similar situations multiple times during the season

Dr. Lecter
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
The offense scored ten points.

Saying a fake punt was what caused the Bills the game is 100% incorrect.

I liked the call. The offense was stagnant. I did not even mind the mis-direction part. Moorman has ran it so many times, you try to get the opponent to over pursue.

The game was not lost due to Bobby April, try as you might to find a way to blame him.

THE OFFENSE SCORED TEN POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OpIv37
11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
THE OFFENSE SCORED TEN POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To make matters worse, the D forced 3 turnovers and Jackson had a 70+ yard return. The D and S/T did everything they could to ease the burden on the O and put them in good positions, and the O STILL couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

trapezeus
11-01-2009, 07:39 PM
jauron is gutsy at the wrong times. and he's created such an atmosphere of failure, you know the players are worried about failing instead of just thinking about executing.

This team needs an enima in the worst of ways. and when you are relying on a 90year old to give a team an enima, you know it's not good.

Dr. Lecter
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
To make matters worse, the D forced 3 turnovers and Jackson had a 70+ yard return. The D and S/T did everything they could to ease the burden on the O and put them in good positions, and the O STILL couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Thanks for reminding me. *******.

Not to mention, except for one return that was aided by a penalty, the Bills coverage teams were pretty solid, including one very good shoestring tackle by Jenkins.

On the plus side, I was able to pick up Byrd as an IDP in league this week and it is a keeper league.

TedMock
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Only because it didn't work. I know - obviously. I only say this because it was absolutely the right call. I don't usually agree with anything this staff calls, but I was completely on board for a fake at that moment. I even yelled that now is the time to run one. Unfortunatly Jenkins ran it about as poorly as possible. He had one guy to beat on the outside - a TE - and he decided to cut in and wiggle through three guys instead. Terrible field awareness killed that play. Kirk Chambers and Ryan Fitzpatrick deserve most of the blame for the loss though. They were terrible.

Philagape
11-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Tonight I'll have nightmares of Mike Mularkey.

LooneyBin
11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
The offense could not score. The defense could not sustain the lead because they were tired. How is that not a recipe for disaster? It is not like the bills had the lead in the final minutes of the game and one special teams play blew it. Fitz threw a stink-bomb of galactic proportions out there. Will the old Trent come back after the bye? I guess we'll soon find out.

The Natrix
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Starting a thread about a topic that was already started by another poster? Brilliant.

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Starting a thread about a topic that was already started by another poster? Brilliant.

Where did I miss that?

The Natrix
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Run, Run, Run, Fake basically is the same

not picking on you, a lot of people do it. It's so annoying. I'll read the threads on Sunday and then expect to come back on Monday to see what people added to them but instead it's a totally new set of threads with the same subjects.

This isn't a f'n newspaper where the stories come out the next day. If you want to post Monday at work at least skim through the titles to see if the subject has already been started. If it has, just add to the thread.

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Run, Run, Run, Fake basically is the same

not picking on you, a lot of people do it. It's so annoying. I'll read the threads on Sunday and then expect to come back on Monday to see what people added to them but instead it's a totally new set of threads with the same subjects.

This isn't a f'n newspaper where the stories come out the next day. If you want to post Monday at work at least skim through the titles to see if the subject has already been started. If it has, just add to the thread.

Dude, it said: run, run, run, fake...fail. Not excatly the same thread and I had no idea where that was going.

I was specific on the fake punt.

The Natrix
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I gaurantee there will be like 7 Byrd threads tomorrow.

Oh, you mean Byrd has been money? Wow captain obvious, thanks for clearing that up, I thought he sucks.

The Natrix
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
over/under on Fitzpatrick Stinks threads: 4.5

malo
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM

agreed

HHURRICANE
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Only because it didn't work. I know - obviously. I only say this because it was absolutely the right call. I don't usually agree with anything this staff calls, but I was completely on board for a fake at that moment. I even yelled that now is the time to run one. Unfortunatly Jenkins ran it about as poorly as possible. He had one guy to beat on the outside - a TE - and he decided to cut in and wiggle through three guys instead. Terrible field awareness killed that play. Kirk Chambers and Ryan Fitzpatrick deserve most of the blame for the loss though. They were terrible.

We can agree to disagree. I do agree with one thing though. The Bills sucked bad enough that it led to this play.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Anybody remember the last time the Bills were able to run an effective sweep? What about a screen?

They ran the screen well earlier in the year.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Only because it didn't work.

Exactly. People will try to deny this, but if the play had worked, opinions would be different.

It's one of those risky calls where if you fail, you're an idiot, but if you succeed, you're a genius.

HHURRICANE
11-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Jerry Sullivan just made my case for me:

Jauron can't seem to get it right. He's conservative when he should be daring, bold when he ought to be careful. In the New Orleans game, he punted on fourth-and-1 with his team down by 10 points with 7:30 left in the game. On Sunday, he tried a fake punt on fourth-and-2 with 12:27 left and the Bills down by seven.

The fake punt failed miserably. Six plays later, it was 24-10 and the game was basically over. Jauron took the blame. He said it was his call and he was looking for a spark. The offense was playing so badly, he had to try something.

In the Saints game, he said the defense had played so well it wouldn't be right to take a risk and give the opposition prime field position. How this situation differed is beyond me.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2009, 07:42 AM

Jauron can't seem to get it right. He's conservative when he should be daring, bold when he ought to be careful. In the New Orleans game, he punted on fourth-and-1 with his team down by 10 points with 7:30 left in the game. On Sunday, he tried a fake punt on fourth-and-2 with 12:27 left and the Bills down by seven.

The fake punt failed miserably. Six plays later, it was 24-10 and the game was basically over. Jauron took the blame. He said it was his call and he was looking for a spark. The offense was playing so badly, he had to try something.

In the Saints game, he said the defense had played so well it wouldn't be right to take a risk and give the opposition prime field position. How this situation differed is beyond me.

It's different because he actually tried to do something about it.

mikemac2001
11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
i think everyone sensed a fake punt....

i wasnt surprised but to be honest i thought they should have run one earlier would have atleast caught them off guard and just let moorman run it **** the reverse

chernobylwraiths
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Add to that the defense had just given up a long TD drive. The wear was beginning to show and the defense NEEDED a rest. Damn right it reeked of desperation. This whole team should be desperate.

I agree, right call, right time, poor execution.

SABURZFAN
11-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Thurman Thomas??? Kenneth Davis??? :idunno:

it seems so damn long ago that i honestly can't remember.

SABURZFAN
11-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Sully is 1000000000000% right.

Dr. Lecter
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
One other thing to consider is the Bills past success rate on fake punts and FGs. This is about the first time I remember them being stopped in the last 3 seasons.

Part of success is doing it when it is not expected. Waiting until the "right time" takes away the element of surprise. With an offense that can't even get 10 first downs a game, something needed to be tried.

madness
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
One other thing to consider is the Bills past success rate on fake punts and FGs. This is about the first time I remember them being stopped in the last 3 seasons.

Part of success is doing it when it is not expected. Waiting until the "right time" takes away the element of surprise. With an offense that can't even get 10 first downs a game, something needed to be tried.

The only reason that play didn't work... Justin Jenkins. He had only one man (TE, James Casey 6'4 244 lbs) to beat to the outside as the play was drawn up but instead turned it up the middle. :doh:

Dr. Lecter
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
From were I was sitting, it looked like Casey had a good angle on him if he went outside.

I am not sure if that was the case, but it looked that way to me.

madness
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
From were I was sitting, it looked like Casey had a good angle on him if he went outside.

He did have a decent angle but he would have had a better chance of outrunning a TE than cutting back up the middle since his blockers were forcing everybody inside to seal off the edge.

Syderick
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
It was a comedy play.

chernobylwraiths
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Yeah, Casey had the angle, but turning it upfield was suicide. I think his ONLY chance was trying to outrun him to the outside.

BillsOwnAll
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Im scared now , I completely agree. All these people who say it was dumb wouldnt be saying it if we converted it.

unpaid_bills
11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The play before was 3rd and 4 (or 5 i believe) they ran Freddie got like 1 or 2 yds. If you were even contemplating going for it why not give yourself a fighting chance and try a pass. Our 3rd down conversion has to be one of the worst in the NFL if not the worst. The receivers dont run passed or to the stick I know they are running the plays that are called but they can improvise a little run passed the marker, i just dont get it my 10 year old son's pop warner team knows this --- jauron and the coaching staff are :clown: To