X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Fake punt? Brilliant.

This is exactly why I hate the extra input that Bobby April has on this team.

That fake punt gave away the game.
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Fake punt? Brilliant.

And you know for sure that Bobby April forced that decision? No, no you don't...
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

First, it didn't cost us the game. The offense struggled the entire game and was not going to score.

Second, I liked the decision to fake. It was uncharacteristically gutsy of Jauron.

However, in that situation, with only 3 yards to go and in that position on the field, the reverse to a guy who doesn't handle the ball often was a stupid call. They should have either hiked it to one of the up men in front of Moorman or just let Moorman run for it himself. On TV it looked like he would have had it if he had just kept the ball.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

I'm with Op. Poor play selection.... good decision. They needed to try something to get things going.

Comment

• Commissioner
          • Dec 2004

I would of rather they did something tricky on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down rather than RUN, RUN, RUN, fake punt it.
          Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Borosai
            • Sep 2003

The reverse to T.O. was also an attempt to get things going: it didn't work. I think it was a bad call. 12 minutes left and only down by 7, you can't just give them 7 points. What were they going to do, pull off a few fake punts to move the ball down the field? There was too much time remaining to pull that on your side of the field.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Borosai
              The reverse to T.O. was also an attempt to get things going: it didn't work. I think it was a bad call. 12 minutes left and only down by 7, you can't just give them 7 points. What were they going to do, pull off a few fake punts to move the ball down the field? There was too much time remaining to pull that on your side of the field.

Bingo. We have a winner.

A 14 point lead became too big to overcome especially in light of how crappy our offense was already playing.

12 minutes left, 7 point game, you don't give away the game. If the play doesn't work, it's game over which is exactly what happened.

It wasn't gutsy but desperate.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                First, it didn't cost us the game. The offense struggled the entire game and was not going to score.

Second, I liked the decision to fake. It was uncharacteristically gutsy of Jauron.

However, in that situation, with only 3 yards to go and in that position on the field, the reverse to a guy who doesn't handle the ball often was a stupid call. They should have either hiked it to one of the up men in front of Moorman or just let Moorman run for it himself. On TV it looked like he would have had it if he had just kept the ball.
                Love ya but you are so wrong here.

12 minutes left and you are only down by 7. If the play doesn't work you at least guaranteed a the Texans a field goal which makes it a two score game.

It's a very stupid call. Maybe you try this if you are on there 40, not ours.

Comment

• hydro
                  • Oct 2005

It just smells of desperation. Not a surprising move IMO. With a offense like we had today, I can see why they would be desperate to make something happen.
                  BERNIAC!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Love ya but you are so wrong here.

12 minutes left and you are only down by 7. If the play doesn't work you at least guaranteed a the Texans a field goal which makes it a two score game.

It's a very stupid call. Maybe you try this if you are on there 40, not ours.
                    sorry but for Jauron's entire career, I've been critical of him for not being gutsy. For once, he made a gutsy call. Was there some desperation in it? Probably. But if the Bills convert that play, then we're not having this conversation right now.

Also, up to that point the D was playing exceedingly well, so for once Jauron showed some faith in the D. He certainly had no reason to have faith in the O.

It was a risky call, but Jauron's conservatism in the past has gotten us nowhere. This team needs to take more chances and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

How many people here would have been complaining if Jauron was conservative all game and didn't do something like this? Plenty!
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        sorry but for Jauron's entire career, I've been critical of him for not being gutsy. For once, he made a gutsy call. Was there some desperation in it? Probably. But if the Bills convert that play, then we're not having this conversation right now.

Also, up to that point the D was playing exceedingly well, so for once Jauron showed some faith in the D. He certainly had no reason to have faith in the O.

It was a risky call, but Jauron's conservatism in the past has gotten us nowhere. This team needs to take more chances and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.
                        The D was playing well so let them try to make something happen with the Texans starting on their own 20 instead of trying to stop them on our 37.

Seriously, you didn't think the game was over at that point? I'm sure the players did as well.

That play gave them the game. That's not gutsy but stupid.

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                          This is exactly why I hate the extra input that Bobby April has on this team.

That fake punt gave away the game.
                          You know what gave up the game? Calling a toss-sweep on 3rd on 2.

- Inexperience of our line
                          - Effectiveness of inside running that drive with Jackson
                          - Overall gains from that play this season (have we ever gained the corner running that?)

Terrible, terrible, slow-developing call that I put squarely on AVP. He really eff'd us there.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

The Bills would have lost either way, but that call certainly didn't help them.
                            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Oaf
                              You know what gave up the game? Calling a toss-sweep on 3rd on 2.

- Inexperience of our line
                              - Effectiveness of inside running that drive with Jackson
                              - Overall gains from that play this season (have we ever gained the corner running that?)

Terrible, terrible, slow-developing call that I put squarely on AVP. He really eff'd us there.
                              Anybody remember the last time the Bills were able to run an effective sweep? What about a screen?

Comment

Working...
                              X