• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Some thoughts on the defense

First, the D gives up a LOT of yards in the rushing game, but at the same time, the D has also played well enough to keep us in every game (with the exception of the debacle in Miami).

Second, Schobel is playing well and I hope his injury isn't serious. However, in general our DL does not get consistent pressure and it allows other teams to pick apart our pass D (when they actually have to pass- usually they just run the ball down our throats).

Third, did anyone really notice a difference in the D when Whitner, Scott, Ellison and Mitchell were replaced by rookies and journeymen? The D certainly isn't any better without them, but it isn't any worse either. That speaks volumes about the lack of talent amongst our defensive starters.

Fourth, Maybin is invisible. We all knew that he'd be a project, and I was never a fan of this pick, but even I thought he'd be able to contribute in pass rushing situations. I did see him showing some speed in chasing guys down after completions, but he's not getting any penetration or pressure. At this point, Byrd, Palmer and Nic Harris have had bigger impacts than Maybin has had.

And finally, since the D is one of the few things keeping this team from completely imploding on the field, I will say a few good things. First, Jairus Byrd is amazing. For anyone who blamed Whitner's lack of production on the "system," just watch Byrd. The guy is a ball hawk in every sense, and he lays the lumber on hits too. Second, Fewell is blitzing more and the blitzes are somewhat effective, particularly when Poz blitzes. Poz is playing well overall, as are Kelsay and Schobel. And they've certainly solved the turnover problem.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Billsfan3
    • Nov 2007

Re: Some thoughts on the defense

good points, our o needs to produce though

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

You are correct but the lack of ANY offense makes this another losing season.

If only Rlaph would eat the stupid Jauron extension and hire an actual front office ( GM & Coach ).
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

all we really need is a QB to be competitive.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Poz is not playing well.

Other than that, I agree.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
            all we really need is a QB, coaching staff and 2-3 OL to be competitive.
            Corrected.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

all we really need is a QB to be competitive.
              disagree. Our OL is too poor to protect a QB or establish a running game to take the heat off of the QB. Evans and TO don't get open and TO drops passes. Our TE's don't provide much help in terms of either receptions or blocking.

A better QB would help, but without a better OL, this offense would still struggle.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

all we really need is an offensive line to be competitive.
                Corrected properly.

Comment

• jmb1099
                  • Sep 2004

considering the amount of time the defense is on the field I have very little to complain about on that side of the ball. If the offense could sustain a couple of drives then the defense wouldn't be exhausted come fourth qtr. Instead the offense gets progressivley worse as the game wears on.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jmb1099
                    considering the amount of time the defense is on the field I have very little to complain about on that side of the ball. If the offense could sustain a couple of drives then the defense wouldn't be exhausted come fourth qtr. Instead the offense gets progressivley worse as the game wears on.
                    One solid 5-minute drive that resulted in 7 points would have given the D the rest and the cushion they needed to win the NO game and this game.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jmb1099
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      One solid 5-minute drive that resulted in 7 points would have given the D the rest and the cushion they needed to win the NO game and this game.
                      I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

I think Stroud was the worst I've ever seen him today. Not an impact whatsoever. Johnson was very average and these two facts did not help the fact that we have the worst LB lineup in the league (and that definitely includes Poz). Man, if we had just gotten an every down LB in the draft in Matthews.. Not only was that arguably our biggest need anyways but Matthews has provided 10x the pressure Maybe has.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                          I think Stroud was the worst I've ever seen him today. Not an impact whatsoever. Johnson was very average and these two facts did not help the fact that we have the worst LB lineup in the league (and that definitely includes Poz). Man, if we had just gotten an every down LB in the draft in Matthews.. Not only was that arguably our biggest need anyways but Matthews has provided 10x the pressure Maybe has.
                          well this FO doesn't seem to think our LB's are a problem, despite what fans, analysts and statistics say.

And I agree on Spencer Johnson- he was terrible.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

I understand what you guys are saying and agree to an extent. However, our OLine still suffers from rookie bliss and they might be better than we are seeing right now. Time will tell in that department. However, A QB can do a lot to help them out and neither one of our guys are getting it done. They just can't work within limitations...and those guys are going to have limitations and still be asked to perform. For example, I see JF buy time that TE just can't seem to do. However, JF can't hit a frigging screen pass or something 2 yards to save his life. Five times in that game it would have been first downs and he couldn't get that done. TE would have made that throw well...but he would have also got creamed back there because he doesn't have the wherewithall to gain some time.

disagree. Our OL is too poor to protect a QB or establish a running game to take the heat off of the QB. Evans and TO don't get open and TO drops passes. Our TE's don't provide much help in terms of either receptions or blocking.

A better QB would help, but without a better OL, this offense would still struggle.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Third, did anyone really notice a difference in the D when Whitner, Scott, Ellison and Mitchell were replaced by rookies and journeymen? The D certainly isn't any better without them, but it isn't any worse either. That speaks volumes about the lack of talent amongst our defensive starters.

these rookies haven't grasped Dicks play not to lose mentallity yet. Give it time.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X