PDA

View Full Version : There is simply no way it stays the same

X-Era
11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
There is simply no way that the Bills will remain unchanged going into next season.

Here is a list as to why:

1) Jauron will go. There is no way that the Bills can justify keeping him. It was supposedly a put up or shut up year last year and they seriously discussed canning him then. This year he will somehow get a pass with another non-playoff year? No possible way.

2) We will start a new search for a franchise QB. Even if Trent comes back after the bye and lights up the field, Edwards has no leash left, he hasnt done it, hes been too scared, and he likely never will. Also, I think the Bills realize how inept Fitz has been and also realize he isn't going to get any better. The Bills cant put up this level of putrid numbers on offense and sell that they can compete and they know it. They may not be looking for just a rookie to be savior, they may be looking for a vet to be the mainstay. The cheapest version they may take forward is keeping Trent and letting him and the rook battle through training camp. But, I think its likely that they will continue with the youth movement and pull a Jets and start our rook day one. There is no way that they will keep the QB spot status quo. No possible way.

3) We will be looking for an all new staff. See #1. The new coach will be gutting this teams staff. That's not to say that they wont screw it up again with a retread HC like Jim Zorn or some coordinator who will bring in a coordinators, coordinator for OC and DC. But, it will be all new. We wont suffer through AVP as our OC ever again, Im convinced of it. No possible way.

4) I think its more than likely that we will indeed sign a journeyman OT in the off season if for no reason that to simply add to the mix. It likely wont be a top FA type for big money, but there is quite a list of guys that may be able to at least fill in due to injury. I don't think it will be likely that they keep who we have and cross their fingers on injury again.

5) The OL group will not be as poor as they were early in the season again next year. Lets assume that we change no one for a second. We already have signs of life. Penalties are down finally, sacks are down, and they just kept Mario Williams silent. They are still making mistakes but they are getting better. So, I dont see us having to repeat the mistakes of the first 4 or 5 games again with this group, Little to no way.

6) I dont see anyway that after the Bills have addressed the QB spot in the draft and maybe an OL spot that they wont turn to defense. We are getting gashed on the ground. Our LB corp is far from stellar. Our rookie, Nic Harris, made some plays yesterday but also made mistakes. Poz has played bad at times but also shown flashes. But in the end, they aren't getting the job done well enough. I cant see the Bills leaving this group alone and not adding someone. I just cant see it.

7) For the same reason as #6, I cant see us leaving our DL alone either. Sacks are way up, yes. But the run D isn't getting it done. Stroud is just one guy. I love Williams and hes not going anywhere, but McCargo may be as good as gone under a new regime. At that point, if were still in the 3-4, we will want to add another DT. If we switch to the 4-3, we will want to add size to the DE spot. Either way, we are likely to add another vet or youngster to that group. No way they stay the same.

8) The secondary is plenty good and deep enough to allow us some freedom to make a move. If it were me, I would keep that group untouched. We have very good starters, and solid depth. A few could be upgraded, but the team has much bigger needs and this may be the last thing we should worry about. Yes, there's always room to get better, but no other area on our team is as strong. I could see us moving someone actually. Because of the big needs at QB, OL, DL, and LB, we may want to stockpile picks to be able to move around to fill the needs early. Sending one of our young CB's or even a S may add a pick that gives us movement possibilities. It may not happen, the group may remains the same, and I'm fine with that if it does.

9) Lynch may be done as a Bill. I could see him getting traded. A new regime may want to cut ties with a guy who has had off the field problems and now isn't playing up to par on the field. He looks slower than he ever has. With Freddy out performing him at this point and locked up long term, I could see Lynch moving on. Maybe a mid to late round draft pick is an option. A guy like Dmitri Nance would be nice. He plays very similar to Lynch and would replace the power run style that Lynch brought to the table.

10) TO may go. A new regime may not be so willing to pay him what he wants to come out and have so many drops. Any intelligent staff will want lots of production from there 6+ million dollar baby. I don't have an issue with TO from a team mate or personality stand point. My issues are with his production on the field. How ironic is that? TO isnt playing like a #1 or even solid #2 WR anymore. It isnt all his fault, our QB play hasnt helped him. But, even though that's likely to change, were not going to have a playoff caliper vet back there either. That wont happen. So, TO's supposed talent will go to waste at least early in next year and more likely the whole year. At that point, with Hardy being back, with Steve Johnson ready to start earning playing time, why keep TO? I think the only way that we keep TO is if Jauron were to stay. That's not going to happen, so TO is as good as gone.

11) This is simply a thought. But, I could see Ralph selling the team BEFORE he dies. I dont know how it works, feel free to correct me. But, if Ralph is still alive and its his team, cant he sell it to who he likes? If he can, and hes still hell bent on keeping the squad here, maybe he sells it to the Kelly group. Why? Well, we all know he is growing impatient to earn a ring. We also know that he is seeing what we see, a team thats going nowhere. And if Jauron is let go, he also knows were likely looking at several more years before we can compete again for a ring... at least. Maybe he thinks to himself that its just time to move on. If he sells it to the Kelly group, its not like he wont still be involved. But at least he can pass on knowing it is in good, western NY, hands. I wonder at times if the cash to cap plan was just that a plan to make the team viable for new ownership. Maybe we didnt spend much to setup a sale. Maybe Thruman's comments about Kelly getting more involved were about him assembling a group and buying the team this off season. Its just a theory, I have no proof, but if it were to ever happen, now may be the time.

The Bills are going to see big changes before the start of next year. There is no way around it, it will happen. I don't think anyone should guarantee that they will be better, but they will be different. That should be music to many fans ears. Change is finally coming. There is no way it will be the same, there is simply no way.

don137
11-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Changes are imminent. The question remains will Ralph actually pay to get someone decent here that could make enough changes to make this a playoff team.
In the last 10 years all the changes have seem to make the Bills worse.

zone
11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
We have seen the change cycle before. Things will change after Gregg Williams is gone, things will change after Mularkey is gone, things will change now that we have TO.

The fact of the matter remains that we have not sniffed the playoffs in 10 years and haven't won a playoff game in 14 years.

zone
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Ohh forgot about.

Things will change once, Sheppard is gone.
Things will change once Gilbride gets punched in the face again or is gone.
Things will change once Clements is gone.
Things will change once Fairchild is gone
Things will change once Schonert is gone.

yordad
11-02-2009, 07:34 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same. :(

Meathead
11-02-2009, 07:50 AM
if they didnt fire him after that joke of a cleveland game then they just arent going to until the offseason at the earliest

Historian
11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Ohh forgot about.

Things will change once, Sheppard is gone.
Things will change once Gilbride gets punched in the face again or is gone.
Things will change once Clements is gone.
Things will change once Fairchild is gone
Things will change once Schonert is gone.

:roflmao:

So True!

trapezeus
11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
1. I think jauron is gone this offseason. Taking a $9MM wash on a coach is much different than $6MM. I don't know why, but it is. Look at the TO signing. They were willing to throw $6MM to sell tickets, but they won't throw $9MM.

2. i think edwards is staying for next year. Unless there is a great ticket selling QB in free agency, even if you draft a QB, you shouldn't play him game one under this reshuffled and crazy line. That line is getting better, but not good enough to throw a rookie behind. That being said, i'm not saying edwards is going to get much better unless there is incredible coaching that is going to spring forth, but he's the cheapest option for next year and the best option between him and fitzgerald.

3. agreed. if a new coach comes in...a new staff comes in. The only caveat is if they decide to bring in a rookie head coach and agrees to let a couple carry overs stay. If they bring in a real guy, he'll bring his team with him. More interesting is if this team opens its eyes and brings a real football guy in as GM. That will really mean change is coming and not just lip service to fill seats.

4. Journeyman OT? I hope not. I hope they keep the draft prioritized on the line and the LBs. Thats what hurts this team more than anything else. Weak play from those areas. and weak play from there trickles down to everything else.

5. agreed

6. agreed. LB needs upgrades
7. agreed. DL needs upgrades, but they've gone there. the last 2 seasons with no success. they have bodies at tehvery least. so if its between getting more DL depth or LB depth, i say get the LB depth.

8. i like the secondary as well

9. if lynch is done as a bill, i don't know what the RB trade market is. RB's learn the systems faster, so teams are more willing to go with a young guy with no issues off the field and no wear and tear at the NFL level. I think we are keeping lynch through his contract. we've already paid for his most expensive years.

10. TO is done with buffalo. He knows this was a joke. He knows the offense is pathetic. He is doing his time. Of course evaluators are saying he's losing a step. So perhaps his only offer comes from buffalo. And it'll be interesting to see if he wants to play football or just to leave the game then go through a second year of futility.

11. He won't sell before he dies. the family will get taxed twice. Once on the capital gains of the sale....then the estate tax when he passes. I believe both are close to 50%. so that's quiet a bit for the wilsons to take. how can you be expected to live off $100MM when you could have $400MM <sarcasm off>

good post by the way.

Billz_fan
11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I think, hope, pray Jauron is gone after the season. I really don't see any wide sweeping changes though.

Why should they ? Stadium is sold out every week. Team is making money. Life is good.

Let me take that a step further. Lets say attendance does slip. Ralphy holds a press conferance and just "slips" in an off the cuff remark about finances and attendance slipping and how they may have to look elsewhere.

Within 2 weeks the fans come running back like hungry cows to the feed trough cus thery are afraid of the team moving :laughter:

mybills
11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm giving them 10 more years to make the playoffs.

DraftBoy
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Only one thing will convince me this team is turning it around this offseason;

They have to :blowup:

Historian
11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with B_f.

The money is in the bank....why should Ralph care?

As long as the lemmings keep plunking down their money for an inferior product, as long as that idiot in the pinto follows them around the country like a groupie at a rock concert, nothing will change.

Why would you?

BTW, your first deposit for 2010 is due the week after Christmas.

Billz_fan
11-02-2009, 10:55 AM
BTW, your first deposit for 2010 is due the week after Christmas.

:rofl: Nice ! Get those checks in folks then come here and complain about the team :D