PDA

View Full Version : How have you changed as a Bills fan in the last 5 years

don137
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I would have to say most Bills fans are at an all time low in dealing with the Bills.

Most fans, myself included, seem to really not care when the Bills lose anymore because it is now a way of life.

The ownership, front office and players basically really do not seem to care about winning. How has this changed you as a Bills fan in the last five years from a standpoint financial commitment, watching/attending games or emotionally?

Personally, when they brought back Jauron I gave up my Sunday ticket. I have drastically reduced my spending on Bills items. I did not even go to the local Bills backers bar yesterday to watch the game. I went to the gym and worked out. Emotionally, I dont get worked up after a loss or watching the game because if no one in the Bills system cares why should I? I went from watching all the games to watching about 12 games. I am driving through Jacksonville on November 22 and could of attended the game but it makes no sense to spend more on this product.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-02-2009, 01:25 PM
The only reason that I don't care that they lose anymore is cause I want them to. Jauron needs to be canned, and we need a good draft pick.

Scumbag College
11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I have to agree with most of the sentiment. I used to go to 2-3 games a year, now I only usually go to one. The last Bills jersey I bought was a Nate Clements jersey about 3-4 years ago, when I used to buy one a year. (Although I would love a Jairus Byrd jersey right now.)

As far as watching the games, I will watch each game. The New Orleans game wasn't shown in the Syracuse market, and I made a special trip to a local bar with Sunday ticket and bought 60 bucks worth of food and drinks for my girlfriend and myself.

I too don't get worked up over the games anymore. Actually watching Parrish muff the punt at the end of the Cleveland game made me laugh, as pathetic as it was. I still love the Bills, but I often get that "sinking feeling" late in a close game when the bills are winning with the thoughts of how they are going to lose. Ten or twenty years ago, I always wondered how they're going to pull it out and win.

Billz_fan
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
You nailed my outlook pretty well don. I am moving from Florida very soon so I will be about 5-6 hours from the stadium. I won't go back though untill they (FO) decide they want to win games.

I didn't watch the game yesterday either. It's the first one I missed but I didn't even try to catch it. I opted for Jets/Phins game and at least I was entertained :D

I have been a Bills fan for 31 years. But I won't spend on them untill they show they care about the fans and community again. Right now they seem to care about nothing but taking the money.

bigbub2352
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I have changed enourmosley as a FAN, i have gone to 1 away game for the last 14 yrs, and was a Season ticket holder that turned into 2-3 games a yr down to 1 down to none
I straight up refuse to by merchandise and tickets until this loser Regime top to bottom are gone, this team is everything i hated when i played the game passionless, weak, no pride, no sense of urgency, a bunch of overpaid pussys not playing thru injuries, not playing to win, and all coached up by the most emotionless loser of a headcoach i have ever seen

I literally get together with a few of my buddys that played college ball were and at what level is irrelevant and we can sit there and call out plays based on there formation, we can call when they are blitzing, and also we can tell were the QB is goign with the ball on everyplay just by his manerisms

Give us no credit at all please, cause this can be done by anyone that has ever turned on a game and watched it form start to finish

This is the saddest most pathetic and most embarressing team i have ever been around

TOP TO BOTTOM CHANGES is the only way

Ralph you old piece of **** give the team up stop raping WNY

Bravo82
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Ive changed a bunch. After high school I couldn't wait to move back to WNY and get Bills season tickets. Had them the past 2 years, but gave em up this year because the team is absolute trash. And this is coming from someone who made the trek to the Cleveland blizzard game 2 years ago by myself when all my buddies wussed out. The San Francisco game last year was the breaking point for me, sitting in the stands freezing my ass off watching us lose 10-3 to one of the worst teams in the league on our home field. Worst game I have ever attended. All my buddies thought I was nuts for not renewing my seasons, even though we had signed TO. I didnt watch 1 single snap yesterday. Watched the Nascar race at Talladega on ABC instead. When this team wants to pride themselves on winning, I will pick up another pair of seasons in a heart beat. Its a shame because I had some really good seats the past 2 seasons too.

yordad
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I stopped being a homer so it would sound like I knew what I was talking about.

TacklingDummy
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Haven't changed. Still waiting for that next franchise QB to come along.

Bruce is Loose
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Losing used to make me pissed for a whole week. Now I just let it roll off me and switch to another game and watch that to see what fantasy football implications it might have.

I will continue to purchase the Sunday ticket since I have friends that come over to watch the games each Sunday plus otherwise I can only watch Pats games here in NE, but I really hate that I have to spend the $$$ it now.

I used to drive 8 hours to Buffalo for at least one game a year - I am not going this year and I didnt go last year.

I know that come next September Ill be all jazzed up about the Bills again, but unless things changed it will continue to be less than the year before.

more cowbell
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I would have to say most Bills fans are at an all time low in dealing with the Bills.

Most fans, myself included, seem to really not care when the Bills lose anymore because it is now a way of life.

The ownership, front office and players basically really do not seem to care about winning. How has this changed you as a Bills fan in the last five years from a standpoint financial commitment, watching/attending games or emotionally?

Personally, when they brought back Jauron I gave up my Sunday ticket. I have drastically reduced my spending on Bills items. I did not even go to the local Bills backers bar yesterday to watch the game. I went to the gym and worked out. Emotionally, I dont get worked up after a loss or watching the game because if no one in the Bills system cares why should I? I went from watching all the games to watching about 12 games. I am driving through Jacksonville on November 22 and could of attended the game but it makes no sense to spend more on this product.

This is ALLLLLLLLL part of Russ Brandon's idea to move the team.

1. Put a crappy product on the field, but still manage to sell seats
2. Fans grow increasingly pissed with the team, boycott going to games, even with the seats still sold
3. Fan attendance will continue to decrease, giving him a a legit reason to move the team because of the small market, and now lack of attendance and team support in WNY

The King
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
It has helped me adjust my priorities... spending time with my wife on Sunday is now considerably more important than watching and organization that doesnt care about anything other than profits.

jamze132
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I have broken more stuff lots of babies have been kicked.

SABURZFAN
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
this reminds me of the 70's- the mid 80's. i'm just waiting for that time where The Old Fart mistakenly gets somebody who actually has an idea how to go about getting football talent through the draft and FA. sooner or later, the next Polian will be coming along. until then, we can only wait but i'm not holding my breath. i only shake my head and laugh instead of getting pissed off. i've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense to blow a gasket.

DynaPaul
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I've cared less and less. I knew when we hired this idiot that we weren't gonna win anything but I gave him the benefit of the doubt for his first season. Watching this team is like watching a race car with no transmission. You know it isn't going anywhere even when you know it has most of the pieces to be successful. I don't get upset anymore because as long as this coach is in charge we will just see this team lose. I can't control it so I'm not going to beat myself up hoping for another result with a proven failure at the helm.

baalworship
11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
This team has made me apathetic. I watch far less football than I used to and can credit the Bills for making the NFL seem less appetizing every year.

Griff
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
being in California means I haven't been to a home game in 18 years, I would happily go to a home game. Sure we suck, but really you guys should be thankful for the opportunity to watch them live.

casdhf
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
This is ALLLLLLLLL part of Russ Brandon's idea to move the team.

1. Put a crappy product on the field, but still manage to sell seats
2. Fans grow increasingly pissed with the team, boycott going to games, even with the seats still sold
3. Fan attendance will continue to decrease, giving him a a legit reason to move the team because of the small market, and now lack of attendance and team support in WNYAs a local guy, I doubt Brandon wants to move the team. Why do you think he's a driving force?

Yasgur's Farm
11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
this reminds me of the 70's- the mid 80's. i'm just waiting for that time where The Old Fart mistakenly gets somebody who actually has an idea how to go about getting football talent through the draft and FA. sooner or later, the next Polian will be coming along. until then, we can only wait but i'm not holding my breath. i only shake my head and laugh instead of getting pissed off. i've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense to blow a gasket.Ralph has always stumbled into success.... AND THEN BLEW IT UP LATER ON! :op:

Yasgur's Farm
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
being in California means I haven't been to a home game in 18 years, I would happily go to a home game. Sure we suck, but really you guys should be thankful for the opportunity to watch them live.You've moved away (I assume) for greener pastures... Those in Buffalo are sons and grandsons of Chevy workers... Steel workers, etc. It's tough to spend hard earned money on an inferior product on a Subway 5 dolla salary. :help!:

Mudflap1
11-02-2009, 06:21 PM
In the 90s my weekend was completely ruined if the Bills lost. Even later in the 90s, the family would make treks up to WNY to see games. We knew the team wasn't as good, but we were still really into it. I was devastated by the Music City Miracle.

Now, I expect the Bills to lose. Yes, I have seen every game so far this season. However, I don't hesitate to miss a game if there is something else marginally significant I could be doing. The Bills are a joke. I don't buy any merchandise any more, what's the point? I don't travel to any games any more, what's the point? Yet, I can't shake the fact the Bills are my team. I still watch.

My wife is a teacher, and when the kids ask her "what football team do you like?" and she answers "the Bills" the reaction is always the same: "The Bills? They suck. They're not even a real team." Or else: "Who's that? I don't even know where that is. I didn't even know they had a team."

That pretty much sums it up.

NorthCarBills
11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Good question.

I suppose for me, I simply laugh off losses now and expect them. As you stated, losing and being a Bills fan are almost synonymous, and just a part of the fanhood.

I almost gave up my Sunday ticket for the last two years, but ended up keeping it becuase I still love football and I'm in awe of the Red Zone channel. I actually find myself watching that channel as much as the featured Bills game, if not more.

In the back of my mind, there is some glimmer of hope that I'll wake up and see many of the changes constantly discussed on this forum. Jauron canned, new owner, new regime, new attitude, etc.

But most importantly, I've got a lot more in my life than just Bills football, so that's always a good thing.

djjimkelly
11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
5 years ago i had hope

now i truly have none

simple change

TheBrownBear
11-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I used to travel to Buffalo from California for at least two games a year. But now I haven't attended a game since the 2005 Sunday-nighter against Denver, and I honestly haven't missed it too much. I remember it was cold as hell that night and much of the fanbase were just belligerent buffoons. The game, quarterbacked by Losman, was terrible too.

I still watch most of the games on the Internet. But I didn't see yesterday's game and it didn't bother me one bit. Ten years ago the thought of missing a game would have ruined my week.

Al the Bills Fan
11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
5 years ago I watched with some hope...now it seems I watch with VERY LITTLE expectation.

BADTHINGSMAN
11-02-2009, 10:40 PM
It has helped me adjust my priorities... spending time with my wife on Sunday is now considerably more important than watching and organization that doesnt care about anything other than profits.

Ditto! When games start to not matter, I could care less if I miss the game. Today the wife and I started walking around the house figuring out what room to work on next.

more cowbell
11-02-2009, 10:55 PM
As a local guy, I doubt Brandon wants to move the team. Why do you think he's a driving force?

I know Russ is a local guy, but you mean to tell me the great business person that he is (its how he got the job as GM because of his business and maketing skills, no football skills what-so-ever) he doesn't know about all the potential money coming in from a bigger market?

The guy is all about profits, its obvious with the moves he makes. The only way to sell tickets this season with the corpse still as head coach was to sign someone like T.O.

He never builds any depth on the roster, it's filled with backups who have no business being on an NFL roster (see marcus buggs)

He isn't committed to winning, he is comitted to this deal with Toronto, and when that is up hes hoping that the WNY fan base is weakened so he has a legit reason to move the team.

:monkeyp: RUSS BRANDON

Mudflap1
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Russ Brandon would never be the CEO/GM of a REAL NFL franchise in a bigger market. He might be able to hang on in the business/marketing department somewhere. No way he is the CEO/GM. Therefore, I don't think he has any incentive to move the team. He has the best job he could possibly get right now.

Demon
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Not sure i agree. I cheer for them at a bar when their on the road. I yell and cheer at the Ralph when they play at home. Do i care if they lose? Not anymore, not because it's a way of life, but because, the more they lose, the closer we are to getting rid of Dick Jauron. And the more they lose, the higher pick our new coach will have to work with.

Last season, i think each loss was devastating. This season, i just want to get through it and get a real coach in here. That's the only thing i'm holding out for, is hope.... hope for a good, proven coach.