PDA

View Full Version : Dick Jauron - 5th worst experienced coach in NFL history

Cleve
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I know that Dick Jauron is an awful coach, one of the worst coaches to coach multiple seasons in NFL history. But I didn't realize just HOW bad he is until I checked some stats here

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

I went to the coaches section, and sorted by games played. I picked an arbitrary starting point of 125 games or more coached as a 'seasoned' head coach. In other words, at least 8 seasons as H.C.

There are 66 coaches that have coached 125 or more games. The five worst of those in terms of averages are

John McKay - 133 games - 0.333 average

Don Caper - 128 games - 0.375 average

Norm Van Brocklin - 173 games - 0.398 average

Joe Kucharich - 142 games - 0.417 average

Dick Jauron - 141 games - 0.426 average

There's an outside chance Marv Levy's best boy Dickie will actually nudge out Kucharich for the 4th worst in NFL History by the end of this season. But poor Dick can't move up into the top 3 spots of my category even with 3 consecutive 6-10 seasons for the remainder of his 3 year extension. That would make his average ~ 0.410. He'll never approach the epic badness of Caper, McKay or Van Brocklin.

So even as a loser, Jauron is merely mediocre.

The bad news is - Van Brocklin coached 173 games vs 141 for Jauron. So it IS possible Jauron could be back for 2 more years - because at least one coach even worst than Jauron has coached for more years.

Crisis
11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
:ill:

bigbub2352
11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
And we hired him and then extended him
am i in the twightlight zone???????

Syderick
11-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Herman Edwards 128 games 54-4 .422
Bart Starr 131 games 52-76-3 .406
Bruce Coslet 124 games 47-77 .379
Norv Turner 180 games 81-98 .453

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
epic.
typical.
tragic.
Buffalo Bills.

Cleve
11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
And we hired him and then extended him
am i in the twightlight zone???????

No, you're in Buffalo. I guess we can take solace in the fact that "We" did nothing. It was an aged 91 year old man that did the extending. I daresay the thought processes that went into granting that extension were not the clearest and point to Wilson's advancing old age.

Even though the Bills were 5-1 at the time was hardly reason to extend an offer to Jauron - there wasn't another team in the league interested in hiring him. There wasn't a chance of losing Jauron to another team. The other teams' managment was wise enough to take a 'wait and see' approach to Dickie. Jauron's mediocrity quickly overcame his brief winning streak against sub 500 teams. Our owner, however, wasn't clear enough in his mind to make such a sage decision. We are very likely stuck with Jauron for the next 2 1/2 seasons.

And who knows? By 2011, Wilson will be 93 and may be so mentally confused he'll extend Jauron for another 3 years.

T-Long
11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
What everyone is forgetting is that Jauron had his team at 5-1 and looking to make a playoff run. You do usually see extensions given around that time so the coach doesn't go in the last season of his deal as a "lame duck". His 3rd year in Chicago was the year he finished 13-3, so when it happened, it really wasn't something that was never done before. Don't think that I am defending Jauron in any way, I actually want him out of here more than anybody, and I write that each day in my column on NFL.com. But, you can't really blast the F.O. for doing that because most organizations would have.

Cleve
11-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Then perhaps a 1 year extension - but 3? As I said, he wasn't a hot commodity - this wasn't some 2nd or 3rd season head coach who really looked like he was getting his act together. At that time of the 5-1 he'd had a long record of losing. I'm sure other teams weren't knocking Jauron's door down with juicy contract offers. The Rochester sports columnists were astonished that Jauron was given this extension at the time - so I'm thinking that 3 year extension is not quite the 'business as usual' that you're implying it is.

Cleve
11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, tonight on 1180 WHAM in Rochester, Bob Matthews again stated the timing of Jauron's contract extension last season was utterly bizarre and unusual in the NFL. And Bob has 30 years of experience as a sports journailist, so I'd imagine he knows what he's talking about.

Meathead
11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
What everyone is forgetting is that Jauron had his team at 5-1 and looking to make a playoff run. You do usually see extensions given around that time so the coach doesn't go in the last season of his deal as a "lame duck". His 3rd year in Chicago was the year he finished 13-3, so when it happened, it really wasn't something that was never done before. Don't think that I am defending Jauron in any way, I actually want him out of here more than anybody, and I write that each day in my column on NFL.com. But, you can't really blast the F.O. for doing that because most organizations would have.
the timing was absolutely perfect

if you wrote that timing into a book people would laugh yeah right

im so proud right now