X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdbillsfan
    • Oct 2002

Byrd

I have a question about Byrd. I am a fan and its pretty incredible what he has been able to do. He always seems to be around the ball, which is a good thing, but....

It seems like most of the plays have been overthrown balls, or tipped, bobbled, etc. He is back there to catch it or make a play, but the WR is usually open if it wasn't for the overthrow or tip (bad pass). He is not jarring the ball out or deflecting passes.

He has made some great diving interceptions and he seems like he is definitely a player, especially for a rookie.

Flukey at all? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jdbillsfan; 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Byrd

Right place at the right time is certainly a factor. But he is making the most of his opportunities.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

He puts himself in the right place at the right time... Nothing flukey about it.

Comment

• realdealryan
        realdealrex
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jdbillsfan
        I have a question about Byrd. I am a fan and its pretty incredible what he has been able to do. He always seems to be around the ball, which is a good thing, but....

It seems like most of the plays have been overthrown balls, or tipped, bobbled, etc. He is back there to catch it or make a play, but the WR is usually open if it wasn't for the overthrow or tip (bad pass). He is not jarring the ball out or deflecting passes.

He has made some great diving interceptions and he seems like he is definitely a player, especially for a rookie.

Flooky at all? What do you guys think?
        Not a fluke. There are reasons that you see Bob Sanders doing the same thing when he isn't playing run support - the defensive scheme allows these guys to be in the area, and reading the quarterback and the situation is the rest.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

It takes a certain nack to be able to haul in thos picks. It's not just dumb luck when you have that many in as few games as he does.

I think right now, he is getting help from being a rookie. Most QBs see a rookie FS back there and will challenge him. But now that Byrd has absolutely made the best out of the situation, he will not have as many chances as he has had lately.

The cat is now out of the bag. Dude can play!

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

part of it is coaching. You know that ball is going to be bouncing up in the air back there...Byrd is the guy that's been put in a position to go get it.

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

He has put himself in the right place at the right time. Although you are right, he has gotten rather lucky with overthrown balls and pressure on the QB at the right time, tipped balls have been his friend as well.

So far he really only has one INT where he went up and challenged for the football. (The Jets game INT where he out leaped Edwards).

But still, he is one hell of a player and worthy of the pro bowl in his rookie year.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• Dujek
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2008

He's put himself in the right place to take advantage of poor throws from some bad QBs, which is exactly what your FS should be doing. You want CBs trying to jump routes to make picks, and your FS roaming around deep and picking up the pieces from tipped balls and bad throws.

And while teams may now have them on their radar there are 3 or 4 QBs that the Bills still have to face who are just as susceptible to making bad throws, he could easily get 10 or 11 picks for the season.

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

I would say it is a fluky combination of right place/right time, and being good. I mean lets be honest, this production isn't sustainable. But, on the flip side, no one is that lucky, he is good.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                  X