PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are #3 in the NFL in the two most important defensive stats...

sauce
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
The Bills have a combined 33 Int's and Sacks this season good for third in the NFL (18 sacks and 15 INT's)

1. Minnesota (31 Sacks and 6 INT's) 37 total

2. Philly (23 Sacks and 14 INT's) 37 total

3. Buffalo (18 sacks and 15 INT's) 33 total

3. New Orleans (17 sacks and 16 INT's) 33 total

4. Denver (23 Sacks and 6 INT's) 29 total

Sacks and INT's are the two biggest game changing stats on the defensive side of the ball

Anyone notice a trend with the others teams? Minnesota, Philly, New Orleans and Denver are all at the top of their respective conferences

If the Bills had anything close to a competent offense we as fans would be talking about the playoff picture right now

Pretty frustrating that all of their INT's and Sacks have gone to waste. The poor season falls squarely on the shoulders of the offense

Yes the run defense has been atrocious but I still think the Bills are a DT and LB away from a top ten defense

Ingtar33
11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes the run defense has been atrocious but I still think the Bills are a DT and LB away from a top ten defense

The middle of the D-line has been fine agaisnt the run (not elite... just "fine") the ends have been mediocre. but you can stop the run with mediocre ends if you have great DTs and good LBers. we have good DTs and terrible linebackers.

The biggest hole in my opinion is LB. We need 2 more NFL quality starters in the LBing core... and i think i've given up on Poz at MLB. He really should be at OLB.

sauce
11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The middle of the D-line has been fine agaisnt the run (not elite... just "fine") the ends have been mediocre. but you can stop the run with mediocre ends if you have great DTs and good LBers. we have good DTs and terrible linebackers.

The biggest hole in my opinion is LB. We need 2 more NFL quality starters in the LBing core... and i think i've given up on Poz at MLB. He really should be at OLB.

Which is why you move Poz to OLB along with a returning healthy Mitchell and use the draft or FA to address MLB

With that being said I think there is no way the Bills move Poz from MLB

gil
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with your points - but wouldn't points allowed be the most important stat for a defense? And we are averaging something like 21 given up a game.

sauce
11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with your points - but wouldn't points allowed be the most important stat for a defense? And we are averaging something like 21 given up a game.

No because it is not a stright forward stat like Sacks and INT's

Because of two things

1. defensive TD's allowed on offensive turnovers

2. Time of possession (How long do you think the Bills D has been on the field in comparsion to other defensive units because of an inept offense?).

zone
11-04-2009, 06:30 AM
You are right on with this, if we could produce points on the turnovers we are getting we would definitely be a playoff caliber team.

The sad truth is that we can't, even with the amount of "weapons" on our offense. The game is won up front, if you can't block you can't run. If you can't block, you can't pass. It's been beaten to death but it is the problem.

Patti120
11-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Our Offense is sick! Literally!

Joe Fo Sho
11-04-2009, 07:10 AM
No because it is not a stright forward stat like Sacks and INT's

Because of two things

1. defensive TD's allowed on offensive turnovers

2. Time of possession (How long do you think the Bills D has been on the field in comparsion to other defensive units because of an inept offense?).

The Bills defense has clearly been on the field longer than all of the defenses in the top 5. Meaning they've had more chances for INT's and sacks. I bet if you had this stat on a per play basis, the Bills would not be in the top 5.

Dujek
11-04-2009, 07:45 AM

I disagree that we have terrible linebackers, at least not when everyone is healthy. We don't have an elite linebacking corps, but we certainly have players who are capable of playing the position in this league.

Most of the rushing yards the Bills have given up have come late in games when the defense has been on the field for far too long, which is only to be expected as everyone gets tired, especially when they can't be spelled because of the huge number of injuries the defense has suffered.

I'd like a new MLB with Poz moving to the outside and Ellison being used to spell players coming off the bench, and someone (anyone) to replace Kelsay. But I'm reasonably happy with the performances and effort put in by the players on that side of the ball.

BillsOwnAll
11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Not when your offense turns it over in your own end. Or your special teams fumbles it away. Points agaisnt can be a misleading stat. But with that said all stats can be misleading. Its the W's that matter.

ddaryl
11-04-2009, 09:21 AM
no doubt about it, the D is good enough to get us to the playoffs, the O has held the team back

however this D is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to take us the distance and we do need upgrades on the DL and the LB's

Ickybaluky
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
The most important defensive stat is points allowed.

I would argue redzone defense is as important as Ints and Sacks as well. Of those, I think sacks are the most overrated. Getting pressure is about more than getting sacks.

That said, the Bills defense has been very disruptive and if they offense were any good they would win more games.

DynaPaul
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
How many wins did these stats translate into? 3 out of 8. Not good.

PECKERWOOD
11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I think overall, we have a great red zone defense too, they just get worn down eventually due to our offenses ineptitude.

Throne Logic
11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I disagree that we have terrible linebackers, at least not when everyone is healthy. We don't have an elite linebacking corps, but we certainly have players who are capable of playing the position in this league.

Most of the rushing yards the Bills have given up have come late in games when the defense has been on the field for far too long, which is only to be expected as everyone gets tired, especially when they can't be spelled because of the huge number of injuries the defense has suffered.

I'd like a new MLB with Poz moving to the outside and Ellison being used to spell players coming off the bench, and someone (anyone) to replace Kelsay. But I'm reasonably happy with the performances and effort put in by the players on that side of the ball.

We need a true MLB. Poz is the closest we have, but he's better suited to the outside as so many have already pointed out.

Kelsay has been one of the better players on the defense. We have many more concerns on the this team than Kelsay right now. Like just about everyone on offense. . .

BertSquirtgum
11-04-2009, 10:18 PM

agreed one hundred percent. poz should be playing where ellison is and we should try and find a great middle line backer