PDA

View Full Version : In-season coaching change is nothing but a knee-jerk reaction

Syderick
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Vic Carucci on changing coaches mid-season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813ec2f0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

OpIv37
11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
No one in their right mind expects a team to turn it around based on a coaching change alone. But it sends a message to the players and the fans that there is some accountability, which has been non-existent in Buffalo since the Wade Phillips days.

And on that note, WTF? Who could hav imagined that we'd ever be looking backon the Wade era FONDLY?

sdbillsfan2
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
"Every situation is different," Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy said. "But most of the time, it's not wise to make a midseason change. It's just more of a disruptive, quick-fix move that sounds clever but doesn't have much substance in most cases.

Marv has to defend his buddy Dick now , but was quick to jump on the opportunity back then wasn't he? He thought differently as far as Hank was concerned... Not credible in this case ...sorry marv , you got us in this mess and ran like hell before the crap hit the fan! Classy moves from 2 of the latest Bill HoFer.

Ingtar33
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
yikes... in 86 he had a 2-5 record so that would mean he took over starting at week 10.

I think... 87 was the strike shortened year i think, so 86 would have been a full 16 weeks. so yeah.. he took over after week 9.

YoungEz
11-03-2009, 11:52 PM
When you go 7-9 three straight seasons and start off this way what else is there to see? How could firing Dick be a knee jerk reaction, it would be common sense

yordad
11-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Not firing him is a jerk off reaction.

DMBcrew36
11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Not firing him and taking the heat off him based on winning two games they shouldn't have won (Jets, Panthers) is a knee-jerk reaction. The team is terrible, the coaching is terrible, and their conditioning is terrible. None of that changes, even if they squeak out a few more undeserved wins. How would it be a knee-jerk reaction to fire Dick Jauron mid-season? It's been 3 years of ineptitude - it isn't like he was just hired this summer! He hasn't shown anything in 3 years to give argument to keeping him around, other than the cost of removing and replacing him. I think we all can agree if our owner's name was Snyder or Jones, Jauron would be gone by now.

Keeping Jauron here just delays the inevitable - it just delays what is needed to turn this joke squad around, while extending their terrible, painful, clownish mediocrity. After ten years of this crap, enough is enough! This town bleeds for their team and deserves better for it.

TacklingDummy
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
In season coaching changes don't work because it's the players on the field that determine the outcome of games. What the Bills need is talented football players, especially at the QB position.

yordad
11-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't oppose not firing him in season if I had any faith they would fire him at the season finale, right after the game. OK, maybe the following day.

But, I fear it will be like last year and the more time goes by, the less I believe he is going byebye.

malo
11-04-2009, 09:15 AM
No one in their right mind expects a team to turn it around based on a coaching change alone. But it sends a message to the players and the fans that there is some accountability, which has been non-existent in Buffalo since the Wade Phillips days.

And on that note, WTF? Who could hav imagined that we'd ever be looking backon the Wade era FONDLY?

Ditto.

bigbub2352
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I see what Vic is saying but i disagree on the grounds that Skeletor should have been fired last yr and we should be in rebuilding mode now, not prolong it another yr like cheap ass RW did

We just need to get him out of here and take his injury curse with him let the players no that no one is safe
Losers

OpIv37
11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
In season coaching changes don't work because it's the players on the field that determine the outcome of games. What the Bills need is talented football players, especially at the QB position.
Don't fool yourself. They need both. Put jauron in charge of the Pats or Colts and he'd be lucky to get a wild card.

TacklingDummy
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Don't fool yourself. They need both. Put jauron in charge of the Pats or Colts and he'd be lucky to get a wild card.
There's a lot better chance that Indy/NE would make the playoff with Jauron as coach compared to the Bills making the playoffs with Belicheck or Caldwell as coach.

Coaches look good when they have players that perform.

ddaryl
11-04-2009, 10:15 AM
There's a lot better chance that Indy/NE would make the playoff with Jauron as coach compared to the Bills making the playoffs with Belicheck or Caldwell as coach.

initially maybe, but once Jauron gets his grips into a team he'll bring them down...

if he was to start coaching the Colts or the Pats they have enough good habits/conditioning/and pre-coaching to carry them through rest of this season.

TacklingDummy
11-04-2009, 10:23 AM
initially maybe, but once Jauron gets his grips into a team he'll bring them down...

Name 1 good team Jauron has brought down.

His whole coaching career he's lacked a QB. You don't win in this league consistently without a good QB.

I guarantee you the Colts would still be 7-0 this year without a head coach.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-04-2009, 11:03 AM

I would have to say no one that one. Have you seen all of Jauron's offense's in his career, sure he hasn't had an all world qb but he wouldn't even let those guys sling it around. Jauron is the worst coach in the history of the game for someone who's coached as many games as he had. He would not make the playoffs more consistantly than we would with Belicheck running the show.

Griff
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
knee jerk? we've been calling for this for at least a year.

Nighthawk
11-04-2009, 12:48 PM

His whole coaching career he's lacked a QB. You don't win in this league consistently without a good QB.

Again, everybody who uses this argument assumes that Jauron is not the reason that his QB's failed. After watching the past 4 years and especially this year, it's even more obvious that Jauron is more the reason for his team's offensive struggles then the QB's.

TacklingDummy
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Again, everybody who uses this argument assumes that Jauron is not the reason that his QB's failed. After watching the past 4 years and especially this year, it's even more obvious that Jauron is more the reason for his team's offensive struggles then the QB's.

I disagree. Although I do think Dick should go, I don't think he's the main person to blame. There's only so much you can do with the crap he's been given.

Actually it's kind of amazing that he's been able to get 24 wins out of this bunch of turds. Imagine what he could do with a Freeney, Manning, Wayne, Saturday, Sanders etc... on the roster.

Jan Reimers
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I think if we fire Jauron and replace him with a successful, experienced guy (providing we can find one who will come in at midseason), it's a great move. The new guy gets a half season jump to evaluate everything and begin planning personnel moves, coaching changes, etc.

Demon
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I think if we fire Jauron and replace him with a successful, experienced guy (providing we can find one who will come in at midseason), it's a great move. The new guy gets a half season jump to evaluate everything and begin planning personnel moves, coaching changes, etc.

Teams do it all the time in other sports, but never in the NFL. I think the main reason for that is, the top tier coaches want no part of taking over a train wreck mid-season. The pressure will be high on the coach and if he continues to lose, there will be some people, fans and media, to say "how is this guy any better?"

The new coach will want an entire off-season, to get his coaches and some players to fill in the trouble parts and look over what were the problems in the previous season.

ddaryl
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM

he hasn't but he sucks as a coach plain and simple.

You're not really going to waste my time or anyone elses time arguing in favor of Dick head.

Your gurentee about the Colts is ****ing joke.... a team without a coach would be in complete disarray

OpIv37
11-04-2009, 04:54 PM

I don't entirely disagree with that, but do you honestly think Dick Jauron would have won 3 SB's with Tom Brady at QB or gotten the Pats to 11-5 with Matt Cassel? Or, for that matter, gotten the Dolphins from 1-15 to 11-5 in one off-season?

A good coach makes a team into more than the sum of its parts. A bad coach turns a team into less than the sum of its parts. Coaches like Jauron are good for a -2 in the win column every season.

The reality is that even with a good coach, the Bills are probably about a .500 team. But with Jauron, they're a sub-.500 team.