PDA

View Full Version : I love the 4th line this year

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Kaleta-Gaustad-Ellis has been a great 4th line this year. They have 6 goals between them (2-3-1). They play hard all of the time. Kaleta pisses people off to no end. Gaustad is winning over 65% of his faceoffs. Ellis might be the Sabres unsung hero this year and was damn near the best player on the ice last Friday against Toronto. All 3 take turns killing penalties (although Kaleta not as much). And even when they don't score they are around the net creating pressure and occassionally drawing penalties.

They are a big reason for the Sabres success so far this season.

Nighthawk
11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Kaleta-Gaustad-Ellis has been a great 4th line this year. They have 6 goals between them (2-3-1). They play hard all of the time. Kaleta pisses people off to no end. Gaustad is winning over 65% of his faceoffs. Ellis might be the Sabres unsung hero this year and was damn near the best player on the ice last Friday against Toronto. All 3 take turns killing penalties (although Kaleta not as much). And even when they don't score they are around the net creating pressure and occassionally drawing penalties.

I've liked what I've seen so far. I'm still not a big Ellis fan, but he's been OK to this point.

rbochan
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Best bottom six in the league!

Crisis
11-05-2009, 12:43 AM
the kennedy line has been really good too.

SabreEleven
11-05-2009, 01:18 AM

Are you cheating on Myers already?

tampabay25690
11-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I like all 4 lines.
This is a very steady hockey team

DMBcrew36
11-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Gaustad winning nearly all of his faceoffs is key. It allows Lindy to be more comfortable with putting the 4th line out there, which allows him to roll all 4 lines, keeping the team more fresh.

I don't think Lindy would give the 4th line as much ice time if Goose weren't on it, and if he weren't winning all those draws.

THATHURMANATOR
11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I've liked what I've seen so far. I'm still not a big Ellis fan, but he's been OK to this point.
Why not. What has Ellis done to sour you?

casdhf
11-05-2009, 08:53 AM
CONSIDER THE SOURCE, THRUM

JD
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Ellis is one of the hardest working players on this team.

rbochan
11-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Ellis is one of the hardest working players on this team.
Puck possession master in the 3rd!

JD
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Puck possession master in the 3rd!

If every player gave the heart he does every night, we would have a dynasty in our hands. Time for him to step up and become a motivational speaker.

Nighthawk
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Why not. What has Ellis done to sour you?

I just don't think he's very good...he plays a little out of control and is not really good with the puck. He's not a very tough guy and he's not great defensively...he's just another player. That being said, he's been OK this year.

Nighthawk
11-05-2009, 01:10 PM
CONSIDER THE SOURCE, THRUM

Want a tissue...

DMBcrew36
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I just don't think he's very good...he plays a little out of control and is not really good with the puck. He's not a very tough guy and he's not great defensively...he's just another player. That being said, he's been OK this year.

"Out of control" I guess if thats what you call establishing a solid forecheck and going balls out on nearly every shift, then yes.

"Not really good with the puck" Do you understand the role of the 4th line? Their job is to keep it simple, establish a forecheck, finish checks, and set a tone. He's doing his job wtih the puck - getting it deep - so I'd say he's good with the puck.

"He's not great defensively" What? He's not great defensively? He's a +5 in 11gp, good for 5th best on the team.

"Not tough" Again, do you understand what his role is as a 4th liner? His job is to play tough and keep it simple. He charges into the corners and grinds it out along the walls; keeps it simple and drives to the net. It's his role to play a hard-nosed game.

And apparently the Sabres brass agree, because they kept him in and dumped Paille.

rbochan
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

jamze132
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Leave it to the Sabres to play awesome the year that I am deployed and can't watch them...

Nighthawk
11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
"Out of control" I guess if thats what you call establishing a solid forecheck and going balls out on nearly every shift, then yes.

"Not really good with the puck" Do you understand the role of the 4th line? Their job is to keep it simple, establish a forecheck, finish checks, and set a tone. He's doing his job wtih the puck - getting it deep - so I'd say he's good with the puck.

"He's not great defensively" What? He's not great defensively? He's a +5 in 11gp, good for 5th best on the team.

"Not tough" Again, do you understand what his role is as a 4th liner? His job is to play tough and keep it simple. He charges into the corners and grinds it out along the walls; keeps it simple and drives to the net. It's his role to play a hard-nosed game.

And apparently the Sabres brass agree, because they kept him in and dumped Paille.

Trust me, you don't have to explain hockey to me...I'm very aware of how it works. As for dumping Paille...they dumped salary...that's why he was moved and I think it was a good move. Let's not get all stupid in love with a 4th line player who couldn't even stay in the lineup last year. Is he playing OK right now? Yes, but so is the entire team...I'm not going to bash the guy when he hasn't been that bad this year, but I'm also not going to suck his balls because the Sabres are off to a good start.

Crisis
11-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I think there was a quote by Ellis about him coming from Detroit and how he knows and embraces his role....

He's the type of player that winning teams always seem to have, same with Mike Grier.

mchurchfie
11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I loved when there was a little over a minute left in the Islander's game and they were going for the shutout for Miller. The fourth line held the puck in the opposing end for almost a full minute. Before the Sabres would be scrambling in their own end to preserve the shutout and end up getting scored on in the last 20 seconds.

rbochan
11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
On the seventh day, Grier rested. And Ellis went to work.

SkateZilla
11-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I dont think any other teams 4th line has more than a combined 8 points..