PDA

View Full Version : Late Hits last night

Don't Panic
11-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Caught the replay this morning...

Woman called in about the Browns and said if they fire Mangini and the Bills fire Jauron that they should look to snatch up Jauron ASAP. I was waiting for Jim Miller and the other guy to rip into that, but instead, Miller offered this:

Jauron has been the last coach hired in both Chicago and Buffalo. That made putting together a staff very difficult since most of the good coordinators were gone. Jauron has done a commendable job, keeping the Bills competitive in the AFC East. Jauron is a very smart guy who knows how to get his team prepared week in, week out.

The co-host referred to him possibly being without a job after this season and that he will probably not get another coaching gig. He said he would be great as a D coordinator again. Miller mentioned that he's relatively young at 59, and he seemed to think he still deserved to be a head coach - if not here then somewhere else.

What Miller didn't mention: Jauron has had 4 years to get a staff in place. Every year he could have looked to replace ineffective coordinators (Miller also talked about what a great job Fairchild did, which landed him a head coaching job at C St.). Jauron may do a decent job of getting a team ready, but he has failed as a gameday coach. I would love to count (actually, I would hate to, but you get the point...) all of the games that were lost solely because he got outcoached in the 4th quarter. To me, that is the theme of the Jauron Era... get outcaoched in the 4th quarter.

It was interesting to hear someone as respected as Miller is offer these opinions, though. A lot of times these guys will back whoever is in the league, especially if they were former players, and almost certainly if they played for the guy (which Miller did with Jauron), but it was interesting to hear his point of view nonetheless.

What I took away from it, combined with what I have been led to think over the years, is that even though our ill-prepared coaches (Williams, Mularkey and Jauron) have not gotten the job done, they have done so with the handicap of a low budget payroll. I can't help but not see the signs that come at me time after time - we will not be a good football team until we're willing to pay for a good football team. The unfortunate reality is that this will never happen with Ralph, and that the prospect of a new ownership team coming in with deep pockets is an unrealistic one, as most of us know.

I'm not sure how we're ever going to get out of this mess, folks. The only way I see it is if we find some drafting guru GM who get's maximum value out of every pick and they play far above their potential before they get a second contract. Even then, it will be hard to win three or even four playoff games and bring home a Championship. The chips are stacked, and I am having a hard time seeing that fact change... especially these days.

Crisis
11-05-2009, 05:49 AM
I think our problems stem more from investing in the wrong players than a lack of spending, which comes straight from the top.

Until we have a competent front office and coaching staff that can actually find the right quarterback - and then develop that quarterback, we'll be....well 7-9 every year.

Crisis
11-05-2009, 05:50 AM
As far as the Browns picking up Jauron after he's done here....well, I think Cleveland fans have suffered enough, like us.

YardRat
11-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Deep pockets doesn't translate to wins.

Just ask Dan Snyder.

Yasgur's Farm
11-05-2009, 06:07 AM
What I took away from it, combined with what I have been led to think over the years, is that even though our ill-prepared coaches (Williams, Mularkey and Jauron) have not gotten the job done, they have done so with the handicap of a low budget payroll. I can't help but not see the signs that come at me time after time - we will not be a good football team until we're willing to pay for a good football team. The unfortunate reality is that this will never happen with Ralph, and that the prospect of a new ownership team coming in with deep pockets is an unrealistic one, as most of us know.

I'm not sure how we're ever going to get out of this mess, folks. The only way I see it is if we find some drafting guru GM who get's maximum value out of every pick and they play far above their potential before they get a second contract. Even then, it will be hard to win three or even four playoff games and bring home a Championship. The chips are stacked, and I am having a hard time seeing that fact change... especially these days. :btm: :monte:

Don't Panic
11-05-2009, 06:12 AM

Just ask Dan Snyder.

It's easier to win with money than without. That being said, you obviously need good leadership.

JD
11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I can't stand people ****ing vouging for this guy.. does he sell untraceable steroids for cheap or something? How is he so well liked around the ****ing league? Disgusting.

Oldbillsfan
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
The Bills are competitive in the AFC East?

yordad
11-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Just ask Dan Snyder.Or the Yankees. :idunno:

BillsWin
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
With a real QB and a competent offensive coordinator Jauron looks a little better this year doesn't he? He is still a bad coach, but you're right, he isn't the only problem.

Demon
11-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Mangini is about to hand pick his next GM.... i doubt he goes anywhere.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Competitive in the division? We've lost 7 straight to the Pats under Jauron (with 4 complete blowouts), lost 8 straight division games, and only finished higher than 3rd in the year when the fish and jets won 5 games combined. And we've never finished less than 4 games out of first.

On what planet is that considered competitive?

realdealryan
11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Did anyone actually take seriously the words of a QB who had one semi-successful year under our coach during his one winning playoff season?

It's actually more impressive that there are current players standing behind him after all of these 7-win seasons. I can't imagine what it is that he or the staff does to keep these guys motivated after listening to "Live Wire" on NFLN last night and hearing the sideline tone go from good to bad as the Houston game wore on. Stroud was pissed and ended up walking off the field saying 'we laid an egg' out here after earlier saying something about needing some points. I don't think it's you Stroud.

Don't Panic
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah... you have to consider the source on this one before reaching a conclusion. Still... Jauron's failures pale compared to Ralph's failures.

We need the following to be viable (let alone still operating under the name Buffalo Bills):

1. New Ownership
2. A sound GM
3. Willingness to spend to stay competitive (and that simply means spending to the cap)

If those three things happen, then we will compete for a Championship again. If not... well, welcome to if not. We've been here for years.

jamze132
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I could really care where Dick goes after Buffalo, as long as he leaves soon... from a football standpoint.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah... you have to consider the source on this one before reaching a conclusion. Still... Jauron's failures pale compared to Ralph's failures.

We need the following to be viable (let alone still operating under the name Buffalo Bills):

1. New Ownership
2. A sound GM
3. Willingness to spend to stay competitive (and that simply means spending to the cap)

If those three things happen, then we will compete for a Championship again. If not... well, welcome to if not. We've been here for years.

I really don't think willingness to spend is as big a problem as some make it out to be- I think it's bad decisions on where to put the money. We sign Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker and Jason Whittle, and re-sign Kelsay and Schobel, but let guys like London Fletcher and Jason Peters go. Of course, this goes back to #2- presumably, with a sound GM, these mistakes wouldn't happen.

Don't Panic
11-06-2009, 06:57 AM
I really don't think willingness to spend is as big a problem as some make it out to be- I think it's bad decisions on where to put the money. We sign Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker and Jason Whittle, and re-sign Kelsay and Schobel, but let guys like London Fletcher and Jason Peters go. Of course, this goes back to #2- presumably, with a sound GM, these mistakes wouldn't happen.

Cash to cap is a white flag... it is a Pittsburgh Pirates/Kansas City Royals approach. I understand why we do it - our owner doesn't want to reinvest the money he's made as this team has appreciated over the years back into the team, but it is still painful to watch just the same. If I get the time, I am going to compare the average $ spent per position of the Bills to the average spent by the rest of the league. It will be downright painful to see where we lag at some positions. Sure, spending more doesn't always lead to a better product, but it definitely increases the likelihood.

HHURRICANE
11-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Afternoon Blitz brought up all of the teams on bye's yesterday. They reiterated that Jauron has done more with a crappy rosetr and intimated maybe not the best FO situation.

Basically said that they need to play Edwards hard that next 8 weeks and figure out if they are drafting his replacement, bringing in a guy to push him. or building the team around him.