PDA

View Full Version : Glad we didn't cave in...

Yasgur's Farm
11-05-2009, 06:32 AM
... to Jason Peters.

The Eagles (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Philadelphia_Eagles)traded for Jason Peters (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Jason_Peters) to replace Thomas, now with Jacksonville. A change of scenery has not helped Peters, who struggled with Buffalo last season. Peters has allowed four sacks in seven games this season and 15 1/2 sacks in his last 20 games.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/11/unfamiliar-face-on-eagles-line.html

NorthCarBills
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
... to Jason Peters.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/11/unfamiliar-face-on-eagles-line.html

I enjoyed reading this. I've always thought getting rid of Peters was like a straight up trade for Wood, who has the potential to be a pro-bowl center.

Peters IMO was nothing but trouble in Buffalo. Even if we gave him a big contract he seemed to be the type to (A) not perform consistently to the money he'd been given and (B) instantly want more if other NFL lineman received bigger salaries.

Wood I think will be a model teammate for years to come, assuming our coaching does not suck the life out of him.

Pinkerton Security
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I mean....he's better than Demetrius Bell, but we did also basically receive Eric Wood for him, and Wood is gonna hopefully be a mainstay on this line for years.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
What the hell are you talking about? First, Wood plays guard, not C, and so far he's stuggled, so I don't know where this "pro bowl potential" comes from. Second, you don't seem to understand the backwards logic of trading an actual pro bowl player for a potential one. Third, Bell has been terrible with both sacks and penalties, so we downgraded the position overall. And finally, I haven't watched the Eagles much but I've heard that Peters is doing well. Sacks given up is a subjective determination, and a Cowboys blog isn't exactly the most objective source of info on an Eagles player.

Mr. Miyagi
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Wood is a Center/Guard. He will likely replace Hangartner sometime in the next season or two. I think he's done well for a rookie.

Bell has "potential", not there yet but I can see him do well when he gets more experience. He's Jason Peters but more athletic.

And who cares about who is a pro bowler? Those things are nothing but a popularity contest anyway.

NorthCarBills
11-05-2009, 08:34 AM
What the hell are you talking about? First, Wood plays guard, not C, and so far he's stuggled, so I don't know where this "pro bowl potential" comes from. Second, you don't seem to understand the backwards logic of trading an actual pro bowl player for a potential one. Third, Bell has been terrible with both sacks and penalties, so we downgraded the position overall. And finally, I haven't watched the Eagles much but I've heard that Peters is doing well. Sacks given up is a subjective determination, and a Cowboys blog isn't exactly the most objective source of info on an Eagles player.

What a passionate and fiery response. I admire your knowledge and keen insights.

yordad
11-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I prefer not having Peters.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Ok, guys because we're doing just so phenomenally without Jason Peters here. :rolleyes:

Ralph should have forked up the cash, Peters has something to do with the success Philly is having right now on offense. I've watched my fair share of Philly games this year, I've got Sunday ticket and their line has been great, if you ask me.

NorthCarBills
11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Ok, guys because we're doing just so phenomenally without Jason Peters here. :rolleyes:

Ralph should have forked up the cash, Peters has something to do with the success Philly is having right now on offense. I've watched my fair share of Philly games this year, I've got Sunday ticket and their line has been great, if you ask me.

Just to be clear, I totally agree with you that our line stinks and needs an overhaul. I just feel Wood will be quite productive over the long-term at either guard or center. At least he represents one of the few things we can build upon with a new coaching staff/ front office regime.

As far as Peters, I've tapped into a few Philly games this year during Bills commercial breaks As a whole their line does look good. Oddly enough, seems like most times i tune in Peters is being called out for a penalty. Might be strange timing, coincidence, etc.

BillsWin
11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I liked the trade. Peters was worthless. Of course we have people who think we traded our best player, but he got beat so many times last season and just out skilled alot of times some people look too much in to the "Pro Bowl" tag.

zone
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM

When Jason Peters was here;
a) we were not doing phenomenally.
b) Jason Peters was never really here.
He spent most of his time, whining, holding out, giving up, and pretending to be injured.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
It's just funny how we sign TO, but lose Jason and all of a sudden it's one step forward and two steps back for our franchise, I don't think that's a coincidence. Trading Peters and then cutting Walker, is arguably the dumbest thing this franchise has done over the past decade. How stupid. How do you sit there and neglect your offensive line to the point in which we've got 3rd & 5th stringers starting for us at LT and RT? WTF, is that? I don't get it. Our FO totally gave up on this season when they pulled that crap.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
When Jason Peters was here;
a) we were not doing phenomenally.
b) Jason Peters was never really here.
He spent most of his time, whining, holding out, giving up, and pretending to be injured.

I call bull****, in the same way that people were happy to see London, Winfield and other ex-Bills leave, shoot you could even add Mike Gandy and Coy Wire to that list as well.

Peters was a standout on Special Teams.

Peters was a standout at Right Tackle.

Peters was a standout at Left Tackle, granted he wasn't spectacular in his last year here.

Still, you don't pay Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery more than a pro bowl caliber left tackle, that's just begging for trouble.

Novacane
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Not the best point to make cause we also sucked when he was here. What did we ever win when Peters was here?

Getting rid of Peters was not the mistake. Replacing him with Bell was the mistake.

casdhf
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Everyone hated Coy Wire here. People pissed and moaned about having him around all the time.

ddaryl
11-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Peckerwood

you fail to remember and realize the fact that the Bills offered Peters 9 million a season before they traded him and it still wasn't enough.

The FACT is Peters didn't want to stay here and probably for a bunch of reasons. He would of stayed here if we over paid him to do so. The problem with that is he would have never lived up the 10 million a year the Bills would have had to fork over....

We did get Chris Wood which isn't a bad deal... but we are rebuilding the line

Peters play in Philly just proves he wasn't worth 10 million a season

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Not really, I don't give a DAMN how much money it'd take. We're like 30 million under the cap, about TIME our skeechy ass owner ponies up some bucks. I'm not going to let his cheap bum mentality rub off on me. Peters was our homegrown talent, and we're sucking ass on offense without him. So, when Philly is in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl, you guys won't miss him? He is good enough for a contender but not our Bills? Nah, I don't buy that.

Philagape
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Still, you don't pay Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery more than a pro bowl caliber left tackle, that's just begging for trouble.

A player giving less than his best on the field is never, ever, ever justified.

A player who does that does not deserve one dime, and his presence on the team is unacceptable.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
A player giving less than his best on the field is never, ever, ever justified.

A player who does that does not deserve one dime, and his presence on the team is unacceptable.

And this is why we're last in the AFC East.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Let me restate that, I can word that better.

So a player works his ass off, going from special teams to right tackle and then left tackle, and you're saying that he wasn't giving it his all? He deserved a raise, and he got it from a competent franchise.

casdhf
11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
He was working for the money. Once he got it his effort really went down hill. He is a total money player. Which is fine, but the players that only play to get paid, and once they do quit trying, really piss me off.

Pinkerton Security
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM

So a player works his ass off, going from special teams to right tackle and then left tackle, and you're saying that he wasn't giving it his all? He deserved a raise, and he got it from a competent franchise.

I see your point but you failed to mention that after he worked his ass off to become a good LT, he then skipped out on all OTA and training camp activities in an effort to get himself some cash. He totally threw our team under the bus and only came back to play because he was gonna lose out on money.

He would have held out again the following off-season, thats pretty much agreed upon, so we decided to cut our losses and get something out of him before he walked. He wanted to get paid Joe Thomas-type money and he didnt deserve that much, so he never would have re-signed here anyways

Jan Reimers
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Peters is not playing at anywhere near a Pro Bowl level. It is silly for anyone to say he is. And while he is better than Bell at this point, let's not forget that Peters was not an "All Pro" in his second year, either.

With all of our other problems, I don't think we would be in appreciably better shape had we kept the guy who appears to have become fat and complacent with the Eagles.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
WHO CARES WHAT PETERS IS DOING HES NOT A BILL

justasportsfan
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I liked the trade. Peters was worthless. Of course we have people who think we traded our best player, but he got beat so many times last season and just out skilled alot of times some people look too much in to the "Pro Bowl" tag.

the trade is neither here nor there. Our OL sucks . The useless and has been Jason Taylor got 2 more sacks on us in the first game because JP is now gone.

Philagape
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
And this is why we're last in the AFC East.

Yes, players not giving their best helps get the Bills into last place.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes, players not giving their best helps get the Bills into last place.

No, cheapness is why we're last. We don't like to pay people. Fletcher, Pat Williams, Winfield, Gandy and Peters, ALL of these guys would be starters for this team right now had we kept them. Peters is arguably the biggest loss of ANY of the players I listed.

chernobylwraiths
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM

After working his ass off, he GOT a raise to over 3 mil a season. When other players on the line got more, he loafed and held out. Then when he DID come back, he played poorly. He did NOT deserve to be one of the highest paid tackles in the game.

Players get paid more every year, people get sick of the *****ing over salary.

Bruce Smith *****ed every year that he wasn't one of the highest paid players on the team. But at least Bruce almost always backed up what he said with great play. Peters *****ed and then played poorly.

chernobylwraiths
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
No, cheapness is why we're last. We don't like to pay people. Fletcher, Pat Williams, Winfield, Gandy and Peters, ALL of these guys would be starters for this team right now had we kept them. Peters is arguably the biggest loss of ANY of the players I listed.

Gandy?!

This post is insane. The only person on that list that I would have kept at all costs was Williams. Winfield just got too much money but I liked him too.

ddaryl
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Not really, I don't give a DAMN how much money it'd take. We're like 30 million under the cap, about TIME our skeechy ass owner ponies up some bucks. I'm not going to let his cheap bum mentality rub off on me. Peters was our homegrown talent, and we're sucking ass on offense without him. So, when Philly is in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl, you guys won't miss him? He is good enough for a contender but not our Bills? Nah, I don't buy that.

What part of we offered 9 + million do you not understand... That made him the highest paid Bill ever, but it still wasn't good enough.

9 ****ing million a year and he still was playing games at the negotiating table..

as for Pat Williams that was a Tom Donahue decision and it was a bad one. Had nothing to do with money it was a scheme change and our coaches wanted quick smaller DT's and thought Pat was too fat... They also thought Winfield was too small.. it wasn't about the money it was about changing our schemes to match our coaches desires who ended up screwing us even more.

Bill Cody
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
It shows where we are that this tired debate is being rehashed. Peters quit on the Bills. We had to cut our losses and we did well in doing so. The problem is Bell is not ready for prime time and unless he gets a whole lot stronger he never will be.

Our problem across the board is level of talent, starters and depth. The Patriots get a good offer for Richard Seymour, a better player at his position than Peters, and because they didn't want to pay him big bucks next year they took it. Nobody in NE cares because they're still good.

We sucked with Peters and we're sucking without him because overall we suck. Not that we have to bow down to NE but I doubt very much Belichick would have tolerated Peters act if he was in NE. Personally I'm glad the ***** is gone and I'm sick of hearing about how we should have overpaid some farm boy that scored single digits on the wonderlic that we took off the street and developed into a player and then showed us zero loyalty. Peters has moved on and we need to also. End of rant.

bigbub2352
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Well i stated on here plenty of times he was media dubbed an all world LT and i said plenty of times i didnt see it
he can be an all world athlete but he is injury prone and lazy and DUMB and thats why he wasnt worth it,
thank god we got Wood in the deal he is a mainstay here and bluecollar player that we desperatly need to build around
Bell is young and needs time he needs this growing pain yr then we will see what we got in him next yr
as for Peters Marv Levy was on 103.3 2 weeks ago and said Peters did not want to be here or play here and was a problem in the locker room
this is another example of a Agent getting invovled in a players career way to early and for the wrong reasons
Hope he breaks his leg in Philly Fat Idiot

Yasgur's Farm
11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Eric Wood
Shaun Nelson
'10 draft pick

Nice haul for a dumb, lazy, injury prone LT.

Philagape
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM

As was pointed out, the Bills did give Peters a more than fair offer.

Even though the scumbag is not worth a dime.

The Bills deserve plenty of blame over the years, but not in Peters' case. Good riddance. The offense has sucked with and without him.

TheBrownBear
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
How much better would we be with Peters here?

Jan Reimers
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
How much better would we be with Peters here?
Marginally. Peters is not playing nearly as well as his supporters on here think, nor is Bell as bad as they pretend.

HHURRICANE
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
The offesnive line is dramatically worse than last year. Until it's better that's all the proof I need.

Lexwhat
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Not the best point to make cause we also sucked when he was here. What did we ever win when Peters was here?

Getting rid of Peters was not the mistake. Replacing him with Bell was the mistake.

Exactly!!

You hit the nail on the head here. No player (except a franchise QB) is untouchable. However, the Bills tried to look like they know more than everyone else, but ended up severely downgraded at both Tackle positions.

Only the typical delusional Bills fan (we have lots here) would try to make themselves feel better by constantly thinking that the Bills are better off after they made that trade.

Lexwhat
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Marginally. Peters is not playing nearly as well as his supporters on here think, nor is Bell as bad as they pretend.

Jan, I strongly disagree with you about the 2nd part (you could be correct about the first part though).

Bell probably played well in the first half of the New England game (except those boneheaded penalties he took). But right now, Bell is a "top 5" worst starting LT in the league. He's HORRIBLE. He's been one of the biggest reasons why this Offense sucks.

What does it matter if Bell is just starting out now and can improve? The guy is obviously not NFL-ready and is helping us lose games. I can't believe you would actually try to justify that!

Lexwhat
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
He was working for the money. Once he got it his effort really went down hill. He is a total money player. Which is fine, but the players that only play to get paid, and once they do quit trying, really piss me off.

Posted this in another thread:

And what do you care about the money we are spending? We are tens of millions below the cap, and the money is just collecting sweat sitting in Ralph Wilson's pockets. I don't understand what your priorities are.

I just calculated this: Based on his production, we are paying Lee Evans an average of $1.5 million for each TD he's scored this year. How's that for consistency?

MassEffect218435
11-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I mean....he's better than Demetrius Bell, but we did also basically receive Eric Wood for him, and Wood is gonna hopefully be a mainstay on this line for years.Wood will be a mainstay on the line for the next four years and then go elsewhere to a team that will pay him better money.

Dr. Pepper
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM

does this team make the playoffs with Jason Peters?

HELL NO. good riddence fatass. we shouldve drafted Oher, that was our mistake.

DynaPaul
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Get over it... Peters did not want to be in Buffalo unless it was for an outrageous sum of money.

Demon
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Get over it... Peters did not want to be in Buffalo unless it was for an outrageous sum of money.

I don't think this is true. He was asking for the same amount from Buffalo that he got in Philly.

Joe Fo Sho
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think this is true. He was asking for the same amount from Buffalo that he got in Philly.

How do you know that?

BertSquirtgum
11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
i would rather have a ****ty football team than have a ****ty over paid left tackle.

casdhf
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Posted this in another thread: Lee is still working his ass off. Watch him play the game. He isn't lacking effort.

PECKERWOOD
11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
To everybody whom disagreed with me: Keep lying to yourselves.

Yasgur's Farm
11-06-2009, 06:04 AM
To everybody whom disagreed with me: Keep lying to yourselves.Yup... Cus there's no fecking way you're "lying to yourself"!!!

PECKERWOOD
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Yup... Cus there's no fecking way you're "lying to yourself"!!!

:rofl: