PDA

View Full Version : I sure hope this early momentum carries

ddaryl
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I always get nervous when the Sabres start off hot...

I know the years we were challenging for the Stanley Cup we started off luke warm, but we always got hot after Xmas and stepped it up even more after the All-star break...

It's a long seaosn, but it sure is encouraging to see the Sabres playing consistently well.

Looks like they made the right changes this year....

ct bills fan
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
the last year we were challenging for the cup we stated out 10-0-0

Philagape
11-05-2009, 12:55 PM
At this point last year they were 8-2-2. Just one point less.

ddaryl
11-05-2009, 01:09 PM
the last year we were challenging for the cup we stated out 10-0-0

if I remember correctly we still didn't catch fire till after Xmas and then really picked up momentum down the stretch after the all star break.

All I remember from those years is we were almost unstoppable with momentum heading into the playoffs.

None the less... I like the momentum to pick up down the stretch and into the playoffs

ddaryl
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
At this point last year they were 8-2-2. Just one point less.

that's not a good sign then.... I thought we we're much colder starting last year...

I usually don't start really following the Sabres until end of football season though, so obvioulsy its my own disregard....

usually by then you have a real idea on how good the team is and if they have any sort of chance to go far.

Nighthawk
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
This team looks different this year...I don't think they'll fall apart like last year. That being said, they still need to find a backup goalie, just in case Miller is hurt for a long period of time. I've liked the way they've played defensively and how they have played disciplined hockey this entire season...except for the Islanders game.

Crisis
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
This team looks different this year...I don't think they'll fall apart like last year. That being said, they still need to find a backup goalie, just in case Miller is hurt for a long period of time. I've liked the way they've played defensively and how they have played disciplined hockey this entire season...except for the Islanders game.

They definitely looked more shakey to start last year, and as long as Miller can keep this amazing level of play up, an elite goalie alone can carry a team to the playoffs.

Not to mention this team is AMAZING at the dot, and Gaustad has been ridiculous on faceoffs. I think this team is built to go pretty far.

By the way, I think Gaustad might be our single most important forward on this team.

casdhf
11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
We're a Miller injury away from a .400 season. We gotta keep this guy healthy.

chernobylwraiths
11-06-2009, 06:34 AM
if I remember correctly we still didn't catch fire till after Xmas and then really picked up momentum down the stretch after the all star break.

All I remember from those years is we were almost unstoppable with momentum heading into the playoffs.

None the less... I like the momentum to pick up down the stretch and into the playoffs

From what I remember, we fell off after the new year and picked it up a bit near the end to keep the President's Trophy. The year before we came on like gangbusters at the end to just lose out to Ottawa. It was completely reversed the next year as Ottawa ended really strong and took us in the Conference final.

tampabay25690
11-06-2009, 06:36 AM
This team is pretty solid so I dont see a long stretch they will lose maybe 2 or 3 but thats al I see.

chernobylwraiths
11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
We're a Miller injury away from a .400 season. We gotta keep this guy healthy.

Lose Miller again and we're sunk.

RockStar36
11-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Although they started off pretty good last year, this team looks totally different this year. I'll absolutely agree with everyone here though, Miller has to stay healthy and rested which means they need a competent backup. If Lalime is out for an extended period of time, they have to make a move to get someone in here sooner rather than later. Enroth makes me nervous right now.

ddaryl
11-07-2009, 02:38 PM
From what I've been watching reading and hearing this team does have a different feel from last year.

They seem to have brought some grit into the mix. Some players who can dish out and take some hits and set a tone. Grier coming back was a great move, and something this franchise lost from those Stanely Cup challenging teams of a few years back.

The grit is back and the Sabres look like a playoff contender again.. imagine that.