PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FREE AGENT LINEBACKERS

BuffaloBlitz83
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/lb.html

Lots of LBers avail in this free agent class, Sadly every one is better than anyone we have on our team at LB. I really hope we sign at least 2 LB, well they better sign 1 for sure. I listed a few guys that I liked off the page.

Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (26)
Locking the young middle linebacker up should be a priority for the Buccaneers and with all the cap room they have, it’s a little surprising they haven’t already gotten it done. Ruud quietly voiced dissatisfaction last offseason by skipping voluntary workouts, but has continued to keep a positive outlook to the situation. Ruud’s new deal should be in the area of what Bart Scott received this offseason (6 years, $48 million) from the Jets. He’s the leader of the defense now and will consistently be among league leaders in tackles for the next several years. The Bucs should and will lock him up at some point in the near future, but it’s just about both sides agreeing on the terms.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals (28)
Dansby hasn’t played badly this year by any means, but he hasn’t made too many game changing plays either. The key to Dansby’s future will be what his contract expectations are. He isn’t quite worth the type of money the Ravens paid to Terrell Suggs, but at the same time, he’s one of the cornerstones to the Cardinals defense which has allowed a league low 3.0 yards per carry going into week 8. Dansby can do it all really, but can the Cardinals afford to re-sign him?

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (25)
Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, but if the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a good chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere. Still, Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans and work around the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams in the front 7.

Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers (26)
Davis started his career on a sour note at safety, but has since converted to become a superb outside linebacker. Next to Jon Beason, the Panthers have a very nice young corps that they should be able to maintain over the next decade. Continuing his success from last season, Davis has played very well again for the Panthers. His presence is being felt in coverage where he has 2 picks and 5 deflected passes. The Panthers would be crazy to let Davis move on because he and Beason make a great punch in the linebacking corps.

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (26)
Akeem Jordan, Philadelphia Eagles (24) – Restricted FA

jamze132
11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
We'll draft a couple on Day 2 and insert them into the line-up... or just keep Mitchell in there. Either way, we're boned.

hydro
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Dansby sounds about right.

"Dansby hasn’t played badly this year by any means, but he hasn’t made too many game changing plays either."

Demon
11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I would love Keith Bulluck to be signed. I think he may be a cheap signing considering his age and since he's from NY and played for Syracuse, maybe it would be realistic? I think, IF we get a proven coach, they will try to add some vets to this team to help with the younger players. And Bulluck still has some gas left in the tank. He would be great for some leadership and someone Poz and Maybin could learn from.

trapezeus
11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
which one is the worst? he's still a huge upgrade over the current list of LBs

BuffaloBlitz83
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I like Omar Gaither too.

I'd love to add Barrett Ruud as our MLB and move Poz to outside.

yordad
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Dansby please.

BillsWin
11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Dansby and McNeil (Chargers LT) would make it easy to move up in the first to get "our guy"

Championship!

BuffaloBlitz83
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
McNeil and Ruud in free agency. And drafting Suh and a QB in round 2 would be a great start to fixing this tragedy of a franchise. But regardless of those moves... WE NEED OUR LEADER, OUR NEW COACH WITH A BRAIN, GUTS, AND WINNING ATTITUDE.

Jaybird
11-05-2009, 06:48 PM
is mcneil really a free agent??? i would assume the chargers will resign him.

The lb core looks pretty good. I like howard from the raiders, but Dansby would be ideal

Raptor
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM

The lb core looks pretty good. I like howard from the raiders, but Dansby would be ideal

McNeil has a history of back problems that kept him out of the 1st round in 06 and now there flaring up again so I think he is a risky signing. Remind me a lot of J.Jennings

Demon
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Chargers have a lot of free agents, they won't be able to sign all of them. They just signed Phillip Rivers to a massive deal few months ago and still need to sign Shawne Merriman, Darren Sporles and Vincent Jackson.

bigbub2352
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Dansby Ryans Rudd NOWWWWWWWW
anyone is a major upgrade of our poo LBs

elltrain22
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
how much money ya wanna bet that none of those guys will even get a second thought as a Buffalo Bill? Ralph doesn't know (too old & schenile), doesn't care (too cheap & stubborn, and will almost certainly do what we all don't want.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
This class is so much better than last year with the likes of Pisa, Bolie, Scott, Brooks, June.

BILLSROCK1212
11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
we'll get Akeem Jordan or Thomas Davis and think we have a good LB group only to find out week 1 that Jerome Harrison can run over them

WeAreArthurMoates
11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Out of the list the most realistic one that we could sign is Johnson. I would be all over him, Rudd or Morrison would be preface to slide Poz outside but I'd take DJ. If we get a LBer, a LT tackle like McNeil or Penn, our draft could be incredible.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Also he's only a RT but Jeremy Clary of the Chargers will surely not be resigned. Good young RT, while wont fill the hole on the left side. He would allow us to shift Butler to RG, Wood to C and Hangartner first off the bench. We would still need a LT but the rest of the line would like great.

Scumbag College
11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
There's alot of good linebackers on that list, but i have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see Leon Joe or someone of his ilk on the Bills roster in 2010.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/lb.html

Lots of LBers avail in this free agent class, Sadly every one is better than anyone we have on our team at LB. I really hope we sign at least 2 LB, well they better sign 1 for sure. I listed a few guys that I liked off the page.

Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (26)
Locking the young middle linebacker up should be a priority for the Buccaneers and with all the cap room they have, it’s a little surprising they haven’t already gotten it done. Ruud quietly voiced dissatisfaction last offseason by skipping voluntary workouts, but has continued to keep a positive outlook to the situation. Ruud’s new deal should be in the area of what Bart Scott received this offseason (6 years, $48 million) from the Jets. He’s the leader of the defense now and will consistently be among league leaders in tackles for the next several years. The Bucs should and will lock him up at some point in the near future, but it’s just about both sides agreeing on the terms.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals (28)
Dansby hasn’t played badly this year by any means, but he hasn’t made too many game changing plays either. The key to Dansby’s future will be what his contract expectations are. He isn’t quite worth the type of money the Ravens paid to Terrell Suggs, but at the same time, he’s one of the cornerstones to the Cardinals defense which has allowed a league low 3.0 yards per carry going into week 8. Dansby can do it all really, but can the Cardinals afford to re-sign him?

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (25)
Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, but if the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a good chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere. Still, Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans and work around the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams in the front 7.

Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers (26)
Davis started his career on a sour note at safety, but has since converted to become a superb outside linebacker. Next to Jon Beason, the Panthers have a very nice young corps that they should be able to maintain over the next decade. Continuing his success from last season, Davis has played very well again for the Panthers. His presence is being felt in coverage where he has 2 picks and 5 deflected passes. The Panthers would be crazy to let Davis move on because he and Beason make a great punch in the linebacking corps.

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (26)
Akeem Jordan, Philadelphia Eagles (24) – Restricted FA

"Name 6 guys who will never be Buffalo Bills"
http://routingbyrumor.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

BuffaloBlitz83
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Whole lotta negativity!

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Whole lotta negativity!

what do you expect? Everyone knew our LB's were crap last year, and no one who knows the first thing about football thinks Keith Ellison should be starting. Yet, our FO did nothing about it except grabbing a guy in the 5th round of the draft. Why should we expect next year to be different, especially with so many other holes on the team?

For some stupid reason, this coaching staff is committed to this group of LB's.

Ickybaluky
11-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Dansby is playing under the franchise tender this year, so he will be a free agent unless Arizona tags him again.

None of those other guys will be unrestricted free agents unless the CBA is extended. If the CBA isn't extended, players will need 6 years to reach unrestricted status. Rudd and Davis will only have 5 years of service, and Ryans will only have 4.

That means those three guys will be restricted FA and the team can keep their rights by tendering them a 1 year offer for less than $3M. If they sign an offer sheet with another team, their current teams will have a chance to match or receive a 1st and 3rd round pick in return.

Johnson and Jordan fall into that category as well, since neither will have 6 years of service.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Derrick Johnson or AJ Hawk. (If he gets cut like I'm hearing he is)

more cowbell
11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
thomas howard is the perfect fit at linebacker...we need a coverage LB and hes one of the best in the game at that...plus not a chance he re-signs in oakland

zone
11-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Brandon Spikes.

starrymessenger
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
D'Quell Jackson.

Demon
11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Brandon Spikes.

Even after his dirty play vs. Georgia?

zone
11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
What happens at the bottom of a pile, stays at the bottom of a pile.

I wish some of our players cared enough to gouge out eyes.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-06-2009, 12:35 PM
What happens at the bottom of a pile, stays at the bottom of a pile.

I wish some of our players cared enough to gouge out eyes.

nope.

zone
11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
nope.
yup.

billsburgh
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
didnt stop the Bills from drafting Butler

life of faith
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Brooks is still a free agent this year and we have onviously made no attempt to get him. For what reasons, i don't know.......

hydro
11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
yup.

Showing emotion and a fire in competition is one thing. To blatantly poke someone in the eyes is just going WAY too far.

Oldbillsfan
11-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Dansby is playing under the franchise tender this year, so he will be a free agent unless Arizona tags him again.

None of those other guys will be unrestricted free agents unless the CBA is extended. If the CBA isn't extended, players will need 6 years to reach unrestricted status. Rudd and Davis will only have 5 years of service, and Ryans will only have 4.

That means those three guys will be restricted FA and the team can keep their rights by tendering them a 1 year offer for less than $3M. If they sign an offer sheet with another team, their current teams will have a chance to match or receive a 1st and 3rd round pick in return.

Johnson and Jordan fall into that category as well, since neither will have 6 years of service.
That explains why Tampa didn't pay Ruud. He is a very good LB but will go nowhere at that price.