PDA

View Full Version : I'm done hating on Vanek and Miller for a while

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Miller has completely proven why he's worth superstar money this season. Before, I thought he was good but not consistent enough to be elite, but with every passing game, he's getting closer and closer to truly deserving that "elite" label.

As far as my other favorite target, I'm replacing Vanek with Derrick Roy. While Vanek usually doesn't earn his salary and tends to hit dry spells, he's NEVER hit a slump of the same magnitude as the one Roy is in right now. I know Roy scored last night, but at the moment, he's on pace for about an 8 goal season. There are 4th line guys who produce more than that.

And this is PURE SPECULATION, but I have to wonder if maybe Roy goes out too much and trains too little. Someone posted some pics of him being ridiculously drunk, and while it's impossible to know the timing and circumstances of those pictures, they surfaced during one of his many dry spells last season. Once again this is PURE SPECULATION and I have no information to suggest that it's true other than those pics, but I'm trying to figure out how a guy with so much talent can be so good at some times and so awful at others.

And on a totally random and unrelated note, Harry Neale has become the biggest homer ever. I was listening to the game last night (stupid stream wouldn't work) and he referred to at least 3 Sabres as being amongst the league's best- Miller, Vanek and Gaustad. Come on, Harry- I like those guys too, but if they were as good as you make them sound, we would have won the last 4 Cups.

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Roy has been producing though. He leads the team in points. When Vanek goes into slumps, he does nothing.

Certainly his scoring is down, but he has a ton of assists.

But I do wonder if he does party too much. If there are internet pictures of a dude grabbing your crotch, you might to cut back a little on the party-time.

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
BTW, since Op has praised these two, I predict Vanek goes on a 15 game drought and Miller has a ten game run with a GAA of 4.23

chernobylwraiths
11-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Miller is among the league's best.

Vanek is one of the leagues better goal scorers, especially on the power play where he led the league last year.

Gaustad has been a very good faceoff man and I believe currently leads the league in faceoff percentage.

chernobylwraiths
11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
And I never understood people bashing home town announcers as homers. Um, they are announcing to home town fans, of COURSE they are gonna be homers.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 09:40 PM
And I never understood people bashing home town announcers as homers. Um, they are announcing to home town fans, of COURSE they are gonna be homers.

because I don't need someone who has connections to the team and the NHL, and presumably more hockey knowledge than I do, to be a cheerleader. I can go to any Sabres message board and see homers praising the team incessantly. I want some knowledge or insight that I wouldn't have otherwise.

OpIv37
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
BTW, since Op has praised these two, I predict Vanek goes on a 15 game drought and Miller has a ten game run with a GAA of 4.23

and Roy scores 5 goals by this time next week.

Nighthawk
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Roy has been producing though. He leads the team in points. When Vanek goes into slumps, he does nothing.

Certainly his scoring is down, but he has a ton of assists.

But I do wonder if he does party too much. If there are internet pictures of a dude grabbing your crotch, you might to cut back a little on the party-time.

I thought Connolly led the team in points?:confused:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/buf/stats

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
You're right.

Roy leads in assists, not points. S11's 'special friend' leads in points.

Crisis
11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Vanek's physical game is definitely improving this year, his game is still evolving.

I've always thought Miller was steady top 10-15 goalie, but this year he's proving he belongs in the discussion of the elite goaltenders in the league. He's been phenomenal.

RockStar36
11-06-2009, 07:43 AM
I have no real issue with Roy right now because he was still assisting on goals and he was coming mighty close a few times when he was hitting the post. They'll eventually go in for him. Now if he wasn't producing any points at all, I'd have a huge issue with him.

rbochan
11-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't say that Roy has been in a slump. He's been putting up points, just not goals. I'd say he's been true to form in that he never shows up before November in the first place.

bigbub2352
11-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I will say this as well i never thought MIller was worth a top 5 goaltender money but this year he has blossmed into a leader and force on the ice
i was wrong about him
Vanek i would like to see more consistency but know and hope he is good for another 40goal season
I still feel we need a true number 1 center on this team but i understand the philophies of running 4 solid lines as well
Go Sabres
i need something positive out of a franchise here

Dr. Lecter
11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
and Roy scores 5 goals by this time next week.

Let's see, after one game:

1. Roy - one goal scored.

2. Vanek - invisible

3. Miller - 5 goals allowed

Nice work Op.

Care to curse any other sports teams or players?

Jackass.

ddaryl
11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
because I don't need someone who has connections to the team and the NHL, and presumably more hockey knowledge than I do, to be a cheerleader. I can go to any Sabres message board and see homers praising the team incessantly. I want some knowledge or insight that I wouldn't have otherwise.

and for every 1 fan like you there are probably 3 fans out there that embrace the hometown cheerleader annoucer

you're outnumbered

OpIv37
11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
and for every 1 fan like you there are probably 3 fans out there that embrace the hometown cheerleader annoucer

you're outnumbered
Being outnumbered doesn't make me wrong. I'll take my own judgment over the collective judgment of thousands of blind homers any day.

Dr. Lecter
11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Update - Since Op started this thread, Vanek has as many goals as I do.

Roy has 4 goals in 5 games and a shootout goal.

Although Miller has avoided the Op curse.