PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Charlie Weis might be a good NFL Head Coach?

Commissioner
11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I heard today that Notre Dame has almost no shot at a bowl game which could mean his time in Notre Dame is almost up....

I really like his offensive mind and think he's a good coach... tough on his players but they all love him.

I don't necessarily think his 4 years at Notre Dame proves he can't do it, because recruiting for a college program.. especially Notre Dame that just doesn't let you take art classes... isn't the same as drafting and coaching in the NFL.

I think he could be had for a good price to if the Bills were interested.... i really hoped they would get him way back when the ended up taking Gregg Williams.

Tiburon1724
11-08-2009, 12:46 PM
no.

Ginger Vitis
11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
This is Charlies 5th year at ND... And how does Notre Dame have no shot at a bowl game when they only have 3 losses?

Commissioner
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
This is Charlies 5th year at ND... And how does Notre Dame have no shot at a bowl game when they only have 3 losses?

Ask the dude on TV.

Commissioner
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
no.
Why ... cause he's not your guy?

BillsWin
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
He's not that good of a head coach in my opinion, and I highly doubt he has what it takes to be the head honcho on an NFL team.

ddaryl
11-08-2009, 01:10 PM
obviously not with the fate of ND since the day he became coach... they have been irrelevant his whole tenure pretty much

but then again it may just be that many athletes these days don't want to play for a catholic/christian based school..

spacecowboy
11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
No

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
3-16 against teams with a winning record.

He would fit in with Jauron!

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM

No chance at a BCS bowl

They will stay play in the Septic System bowl or something.

Jeff1220
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd love to see him come in as the new HC's offensive coordinator.

kernowboy
11-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd rather an Offensive Minded HC than a Defensive Minded HC.

When I look at some of the top teams with a young HC, they seem to have a veteran DC and I think this ought to be the way we should go.

After all, we've got a current OC with virtually no experience plus a HC whose career is on the other side of the ball, which is a recipe for a poor offence.

PECKERWOOD
11-08-2009, 02:24 PM
He would make a HELL of an OC, one of the best in the NFL. If we are truly dedicated to winning, if Weis gets diced, HIRE HIM RIGHT AWAY!

Ickybaluky
11-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I was one of Josh McDaniel's biggest fans as a head coach. I don't think Belichick has produced a guy with a better chance to succeed, and he did a great job running the Pats offense.

I was never much of a fan of Weis, and I don't think he is HC material. Quite frankly, I don't like him as an OC either. He is a great positional coach, and he does a creative job designing and preparing an offense. However, he isn't a good playcaller, IMO. He always has a tendency to get cute, even when he doesn't have to. I know the Pats had alot of success when he was there, but if you ask me it had more to do with Brady than Weis.

Luisito23
11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
He can't even coach at a college level, and you want him to come here?....No thank you!

cocamide
11-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't Op just love it if Weis went from Notre Dame to the Bills?

TacklingDummy
11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Can he bring Tom Brady with him?

Another perfect example of a player making the coach.

DraftBoy
11-08-2009, 05:19 PM
No I dont want Weiss as a HC. He has been just average at Notre Dame despite our talent.

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Average????

Luisito23
11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Average????

Compare to Jauron, yes.

DraftBoy
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Average????

I dont completely blame Charlie for our utter collapse after his first season. Willingham had some of the worst recruiting classes talent wise Ive ever seen for a top DI program that should be able to land 5 star recruits based on name alone.

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I dont completely blame Charlie for our utter collapse after his first season. Willingham had some of the worst recruiting classes talent wise Ive ever seen for a top DI program that should be able to land 5 star recruits based on name alone.

He lost to Navy 2 out 3 years. Including this year playing with his recruits. He is 3-16 against teams with a winning record.

Average is generous.

PECKERWOOD
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
He lost to Navy 2 out 3 years. Including this year playing with his recruits. He is 3-16 against teams with a winning record.

Average is generous.

Still, has their offense been the problem? Weis is a guru on offense, their defense has always been poor from memory.

DraftBoy
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Average is generous.

No doubt this loss yesterday was INEXCUSABLE. But the defense has been stripped bare prior to his arrival and has been our Achilles Heel for years.

He's probably been Below Average though given everything. The team should of been turned around by now.

DynaPaul
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Charlie Weis sucks. Next thread!

Oldbillsfan
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Re: Anyone think Charlie Weis might be a good NFL Head Coach?

nope

OpIv37
11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't Op just love it if Weis went from Notre Dame to the Bills?
Uggh. I was thrilled when ND poached Weis from the Pats, but now I can't stand him. The team has consistently underachieved during his tenure. He's supposed to be an offensive guru but red zone O has cost the irish at least two games this year. The guy made my life miserable by coaching well for the Pats, then made it miserable by coaching poorly for Notre Dame. I don't want him near Buffalo in any capacity.

OpIv37
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Still, has their offense been the problem? Weis is a guru on offense, their defense has always been poor from memory.
ND's O is great at long and intermediate plays, but they lost winnable games against USC and Navy due mainly to piss-poor red zone O. With nd's talent at qb and wr, that is inexcusable.

Demon
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
No way. His only win in a bowl game with ND is against Hawaii. Not impressive. The guy has a loaded roster and a cup cake schedule, all he had to do is go 9-3 and be BCS bowl eligible and be the hero at South Bend, yet, he still screwed it up. A coach with a loaded roster who can not beat Navy is not going to be good at the pro level. NAVY qb threw the ball 3 times. Yeah, you read that right, 3 times. How ND couldn't stop their running game with a bunch of players who are soon to be playing on Sundays is beyond me.

OpIv37
11-08-2009, 10:20 PM
No way. His only win in a bowl game with ND is against Hawaii. Not impressive. The guy has a loaded roster and a cup cake schedule, all he had to do is go 9-3 and be BCS bowl eligible and be the hero at South Bend, yet, he still screwed it up. A coach with a loaded roster who can not beat Navy is not going to be good at the pro level. NAVY qb threw the ball 3 times. Yeah, you read that right, 3 times. How ND couldn't stop their running game with a bunch of players who are soon to be playing on Sundays is beyond me.
No one on nd's d is going to be playing on Sundays, with the possible exception of LB Brian Smith. The roster on d isn't as loaded as it sounds. But generally speaking, your point holds true. They were woefully unprepared for the option O and that goes right back to Weis.

mikemac2001
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Id rather keep jauron then have weis...

DraftBoy
11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
No one on nd's d is going to be playing on Sundays, with the possible exception of LB Brian Smith. The roster on d isn't as loaded as it sounds. But generally speaking, your point holds true. They were woefully unprepared for the option O and that goes right back to Weis.

Brian Smith
Ethan Johson
Ian Williams
Kerry Neal
Darius Fleming
Manti Te'o
Rashon McNeil
Robert Blanton
Kyle McCarthy

should all be playing on Sunday's with guys like Sergio Brown, Darrin Walls, Harrison Smith, Hafis Williams, and Toryan Smith having outside shots.

OpIv37
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Brian Smith
Ethan Johson
Ian Williams
Kerry Neal
Darius Fleming
Manti Te'o
Rashon McNeil
Robert Blanton
Kyle McCarthy

should all be playing on Sunday's with guys like Sergio Brown, Darrin Walls, Harrison Smith, Hafis Williams, and Toryan Smith having outside shots.
B Smith, Johnson and McCarthy I'll give you. Te'o looks great so far, but he's only a freshman so I think it's too soon to say. The rest of them- I just don't see it. The run d has been suspect all year, and I just don't see how that could happen if all those guys are NFL-worthy, especially with Tenuda calling the shots.

OpIv37
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Id rather keep jauron then have weis...
I don't want Weis, but I'd take a monkey with a deck of tarot cards over Jauron.

DraftBoy
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
B Smith, Johnson and McCarthy I'll give you. Te'o looks great so far, but he's only a freshman so I think it's too soon to say. The rest of them- I just don't see it. The run d has been suspect all year, and I just don't see how that could happen if all those guys are NFL-worthy, especially with Tenuda calling the shots.

Williams has good potential and will be a 3-4 type DE or DT. Mark it down.

Neal and Fleming are incredible pass rush prosepects who could be 3-4 OLB, 4-3 Cover 2 OLB, or smaller DE's. Great speed, and that will get them drafted.

Blanton and McNeil have good size and skill for the CB position. While neither overly excels both can turn and run and have basic cover skills to go along with exceptional size.

The Jokeman
11-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I heard today that Notre Dame has almost no shot at a bowl game which could mean his time in Notre Dame is almost up....

I really like his offensive mind and think he's a good coach... tough on his players but they all love him.

I don't necessarily think his 4 years at Notre Dame proves he can't do it, because recruiting for a college program.. especially Notre Dame that just doesn't let you take art classes... isn't the same as drafting and coaching in the NFL.

I think he could be had for a good price to if the Bills were interested.... i really hoped they would get him way back when the ended up taking Gregg Williams.
HA! My father is a big Notre Dame fan, he grew up in Indiana so guess it goes with the territor but I told him well looks like Weiss is finished with after losing to Navy. I then told him that it makes him an ideal candidate to coach the Bills next season.

justasportsfan
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd take him for OC.

LooneyBin
11-11-2009, 09:48 AM
OC.

McBFLO
11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
but then again it may just be that many athletes these days don't want to play for a catholic/christian based school..
Who the hell would?

PECKERWOOD
11-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Who the hell would?

Who wouldn't want to play for Notre Dame, TCU or ACU?

Our 2nd all time sack leader played for TCU, btw.