PDA

View Full Version : Dungy: Vick to Buffalo possible

Coach Sal
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
He just said that on Sunday Night Football.

Said Bills were in discussions originally and it could still happen.

Coach Sal
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
He was Vick's personal advisor.

So I guess all those rumors were true.

WOW!

JPFBillsFan
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
heard him say that too...i don't know, i don't think Vick would thrive, though he could keep defenses honest with his speed

Forward_Lateral
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
He'd fit nicely with the current band of misfits and under-achievers on Buffalo.

Mike13
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
another mediocre QB to Buffalo? I'm fine with that.

Jaybird
11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe he brings Dungy with him?!?

GM or COACH

Forward_Lateral
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM
If he brings Dungy with him as Head Coach, I think I'd actually consider it.

k-oneputt
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM
At least he can scramle around when he's running for his life back there. He can ad-lib and improvise and is probably a better fit behind this o-line.

BillsWin
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Worst. news. ever.

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM

IMO, Dungy is the best name out there.

I would be giddy if he was coach.

realdealryan
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I guess he's still trying to stir up some interest for Vick, who has been a failure thusfar.

Also, Dungy is a coach who came in and adjusted the defense of the Colts. He had Peyton and an established offensive coordinator as well as most of the offensive staff. And Polian. Who still has that? Current coach Jim Caldwell, who has yet to lose a game.

No and No. Although it's a soft "No" on Dungy, with whom I'd be fine as long as the rest of the organization is overhauled.

TacklingDummy
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
As long as Dungy brings Peyton Manning with him.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
We are in no place to reject coaches like Dungy. We'd be lucky if they'd even come to Buffalo for an interview.

T-Long
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, of course I go upstairs to tuck my daughter in, and I miss Dungy say that! What all was said? Was he saying that the Eagles were going to release him following the season and not pick up his second year? Or a trade?

BillsWin
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Ridiculous. knowing the Bills they will throw away their first for him, he will suck and we will be set back another decade.

sdbillsfan2
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Can we all say ticket sales ? TO version ,pt 2 ? No thanks !

Pinkerton Security
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd rather have him then Fitzy, or even Trent

jpdex12
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
we'll have a new regime next year anyway so why get stirred up over it? Its not like the next coach and GM will think the same.

justasportsfan
11-08-2009, 08:27 PM
the TO experiment won't be selling tickets soon so Vick is next. This FO isn't worried about winning as long as they're selling tickets.

tampabay25690
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Absolutely....

Oaf
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd be giddy if Vick came here at the point we're at. But he better be ready to sacrifice his career playing here.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Mike Vick looks to have lost a step. He doesn't have that burst from what I have seen in limited action. I heard he was out of shape.

THATHURMANATOR
11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
When have you seen him play? He comes in for one snap. Not enough to make any judgements IMO.

justasportsfan
11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Mike Vick looks to have lost a step. He doesn't have that burst from what I have seen in limited action. I heard he was out of shape.
unlike a football field , you can only run so far in your cell when dudes are running after your ass

trapezeus
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
his ethics aside, if the bills are intent on building up the line through the draft and buy a year until a better QB class comes about, he's a great fit to run behind this beaten up line and throw in buffalo weather.

if we accept that he has paid his dues and isn't making the same stupid mistakes off the field, then they should bring him in.

in some ways its too bad the bills didn't pull the trigger this year for him. that would have been crazy to have him, TO and this current offensive ineptness being pushed with Vick buying some time and willing to throw over 5 yards. it could be a very different season.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-08-2009, 09:19 PM
If it's a third or fourth I would be so down with this.

Demon
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I'd take Vick. It's better then Edwards or Fitzpatrick. Is it the best option? No. I hope we look for better options but i love Colt McCoy but if anyone thinks McCoy or any QB prospect will come in and be Matt Ryan, you're out of your mind.

If we grab a QB from the "market" via free agency or trade, it's likley to be someone like Jake Delhomme or Derek Anderson. Not exactly a sure thing.

My favorite is when people judge Vick on his time in Philly. Philly isn't using him the right way. Every time he's at QB, they run. Defenses know it and stack the line. It's hard for Vick to succeed with them right now. They are playing very well and won't risk putting the ball in Vick's arm. Not that i blame them. In pre-season, he was actually a pretty decent passer. He still didn't throw it deep though.

If we get him in the summer, he'll have practiced every day and worked with a very good team for a full season and seem limited game action, then, he'd be with our team for all the mini-camps and all of training camp.

Anywhere he goes, he'll have a much much bigger impact then he does now in Philly. Philly just has the problem that Kevin Kolb needs playing time and they are not sold on getting rid of McNabb.

THATHURMANATOR
11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Why is anyone even bringing up if he is better than Fitz or not? Fitz is a backup QB plain and simple. I am fine with him to come off the bench or a game if need be but nothing more EVER.

Edwards has clearly shown, whether his fault or not, he is done here.

Not really sure I want Vick either but I do want a Vet regardless of how they draft.

BILLSROCK1212
11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
if we draft a QB to groom under him i am down

TigerJ
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't see him as ever again being more than a part time wildcat QB.

Joe Fo Sho
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
BRING HIM IN!!!

Mr. Pink
11-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Vick is a hell of a lot better option than what we have now.

They were remarking that he's still not in football shape yet, which isn't surprising after his layoff from the game.

Plus he doesn't play enough to get in a rhythm.

clumping platelets
11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
well...we have "Byrd...Byrd...Byrd is the word"......with Vick we'll hear a lot of "who let the dogs out" :jig:

casdhf
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
He can throw in the wind.

Joe Fo Sho
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Name a quarterback who has more potential for success behind this dumpster fire of an offensive line???

SeatownBillsFan21
11-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Cut Trent Draft a QB sign Vick I'm good

Michael82
11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Oh God...no! He's an overrated QB and a piece of ****. I don't want that scumbag anywhere near Buffalo! :puke:

Griff
11-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Cut Trent Draft a QB sign Vick I'm good

cut Trent? rofl when he still has trade value?

deathadder
11-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Ridiculous. knowing the Bills they will throw away their first for him, he will suck and we will be set back another decade.

Ummmm.... he will be a Free Agent next year because the Eagles wont pick up his 5 million dollar option.... so the Bills won't be throwing away any picks to get him.... Dungy said that the Bills will probably go after him when he becomes a free agent... he also said that the Bills talked to him prior to signing with the Eagles...

Oaf
11-09-2009, 04:04 AM
his ethics aside, if the bills are intent on building up the line through the draft and buy a year until a better QB class comes about, he's a great fit to run behind this beaten up line and throw in buffalo weather.

if we accept that he has paid his dues and isn't making the same stupid mistakes off the field, then they should bring him in.

in some ways its too bad the bills didn't pull the trigger this year for him. that would have been crazy to have him, TO and this current offensive ineptness being pushed with Vick buying some time and willing to throw over 5 yards. it could be a very different season.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lK6-7Z816ZU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lK6-7Z816ZU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My goodness I would buy a Vick jersey day 1.

Dujek
11-09-2009, 04:27 AM
:ill:

Poor fit in a cold weather team. He's a dome player.

realdealryan
11-09-2009, 05:29 AM

Fitz and Trent have both done more than him and at less money - they have better passing AND rushing stats.

If Vick was the same player he used to be, he would have gotten on the field when McNabb was injured.

HOW THE **** ARE YOU PEOPLE FORGETTING ABOUT WHEN THIS GUY GOT ARRESTED AND DIDN'T PLAY FOOTBALL FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?

YardRat
11-09-2009, 05:37 AM
According to the local news, Vick is a FA after this season.

I don't remember...was the Philly deal just one year?

Oldbillsfan
11-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Vick is a good RB but Buffalo already has 2. He will end up somewhere else.

X-Era
11-09-2009, 05:53 AM
According to the local news, Vick is a FA after this season.

I don't remember...was the Philly deal just one year?

Pretty sure it was a 2 year deal.

TacklingDummy
11-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Vick wasn't a very good QB before he got arrested.

Historian
11-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Another Brandon marketing stunt...

Jan Reimers
11-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Vick is a less accurate QB than the 2 guys we have now. At almost 30, his running skills are in decline as well. We need a QB of the future, or at least a veteran who could perform decently until we get our long term solution. Vick is neither.

I have a ton of respect for Dungy, but I wish he would stop pimping for Vick.

tampabay25690
11-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Vick wasn't a very good QB before he got arrested.

He wasn't???
If I remember he single handely brought ATLANTA to the playoffs.....
He would be the best QB in over 10 years in Buffalo....
Im all for bringing him in the guy is an athlete and has a cannon of an arm......
When you have a QB that can run there always has to be a LB and or S eyeing him at all times....Right now no defense has to eye any of our QB'S....

Would LUV to have VICK in Buffalo next year....If he stayed I think T.O. would stay next year as well....

Nighthawk
11-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Pretty sure it was a 2 year deal.

I believe it was a two year deal, but the 2nd year was an option the Eagles could pick-up or let him become a FA.

hydro
11-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I don't see him as ever again being more than a part time wildcat QB.

Well then he isn't going to last in the league too long. Because he has made it pretty clear he is NOT a wildcat QB. He doesn't seem to like the idea of that at all.

ddaryl
11-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Vick is a horrible idea, and Dungy is not a top candidate for coaching the Bills...

I guess whatever sells tickets... I would rather win championships but I guess tickets sales are what's important

THATHURMANATOR
11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
He wasn't???
If I remember he single handely brought ATLANTA to the playoffs.....
He would be the best QB in over 10 years in Buffalo....
Im all for bringing him in the guy is an athlete and has a cannon of an arm......
When you have a QB that can run there always has to be a LB and or S eyeing him at all times....Right now no defense has to eye any of our QB'S....

Would LUV to have VICK in Buffalo next year....If he stayed I think T.O. would stay next year as well....
Seriously the guy had a Phenominal year prior to his arrest.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Fitz and Trent have both done more than him and at less money - they have better passing AND rushing stats.

If Vick was the same player he used to be, he would have gotten on the field when McNabb was injured.

HOW THE **** ARE YOU PEOPLE FORGETTING ABOUT WHEN THIS GUY GOT ARRESTED AND DIDN'T PLAY FOOTBALL FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?

Are you worried we're going to be over the cap next year?

k-oneputt
11-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Draft a qb, bring Vick in for a year, sells tickets, and start said drafted qb when he is ready.

THATHURMANATOR
11-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Ryan while you may be correct you must realize that the guy didn't have a very long time to train before the Eagles signed him. They even made mention of it last night that he was 15 to 20 pounds over his playing weight when first signed and is finally caught up.

Will he regain his full past form? Probably not, the key is how close can he get.

I have watched 3 Eagles games this season and it really is impossible to get any guage on the guy because he comes in takes a shotgun snap and runs right into the pile(complete waste of a play). Vick's running was never planned QB sneaks when the defense basically knew what was coming it was scrambling after no pass was available.

I want the Bills to keep all QB options open this season. Edwards is done IMO...and Fitz was never there. I want the college QB ranks, and all FA players looked at and the best fit brought in....

THATHURMANATOR
11-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Draft a qb, bring Vick in for a year, sells tickets, and start said drafted qb when he is ready.
I am for that formula.

DMBcrew36
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Vick could barely get his teams to the playoffs when he was in his prime. I watch him now and it's clear that the time away from football hurt him, because he can barely keep his legs beneath him when he tries to run.

I don't want the guy if he isn't in peak form.

THATHURMANATOR
11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't want the guy if he isn't in peak form.
I am fully with you on this statement.... It must be deemed that he has come back physically....

mikemac2001
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
As long as Dungy brings Peyton Manning with him.

Or the TB D? was pretty good without manning there

madness
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/5896/dungy-says-vick-could-be-headed-to-buffalo

djjimkelly
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM

id rather have you then either of those 3

EDS
11-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Vick is a less accurate QB than the 2 guys we have now. At almost 30, his running skills are in decline as well. We need a QB of the future, or at least a veteran who could perform decently until we get our long term solution. Vick is neither.

I have a ton of respect for Dungy, but I wish he would stop pimping for Vick.

Agreed.

The fact that people consider bringing Vick in to be a good idea just shows how sad things have gotten at OBD.

trapezeus
11-09-2009, 11:21 AM
i think those of us interested in the idea aren't looking for him to be a savior, but to be a stop gap to get us to the next good qb.

TheBrownBear
11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
This is just Dungy talking out of his @ss. Our GM and coaching situation will likely be different in the offseason, so whoever it was that was interested in Vick might be gone anyway.

Mudflap1
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Dungy is retired. He's not coming back, at least right now, probably not ever.

ServoBillieves
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Since I'm at work and can't skim through the thread, if no one has informed Op yet, Donte Whitner encourages the front office to make the move happen.

sdbillsfan2
11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a valid question here. IF and I mean IF, Vick is so loaded with talent ,has all this ability and has so many assets , why isn't he getting more then a play or two every now and then with the Eagles? Don't give me the crap about the coaches or schemes or game plans, If you have a guy loaded with talent even an idiot would find a way to get his as* on the field! I'm sure Philly didn't sign him out of the kindness of their hearts. They signed him to play, contribute and be another weapon. Well , what happened ???
I have to say no way !
For all those lining up for Vick jerseys, why wait , go get them now, he ain't going to be in a Bills Uni ....EVER!

Billz_fan
11-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Add me to the list of NO way.

Sounds like another ploy to keep the fan base buying tickets. I never liked the guy when he was at peak performance. If he shows up in B-lo I have to seriously consider what direction to take with my fan card. I've had that card 30+ years to.
I would be seriously disappointed with him on the team.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
This is just Dungy talking out of his @ss. Our GM and coaching situation will likely be different in the offseason, so whoever it was that was interested in Vick might be gone anyway.

Exactly, a new coach and GM will not want him.

Demon
11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Exactly, a new coach and GM will not want him.

What if the new GM is Bill Polian and Dungy sells him the idea?

Jan Reimers
11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Polian may be a lot of things, but he's definitely not stupid.

mush69
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM

:smoke: pass that on over here dude! :beers:

Demon
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
:smoke: pass that on over here dude! :beers:

LOL... i was just saying what if...

Anyways, Donte Whitner is pro the idea as well. He kinda takes a stab at Edwards too at the same time. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/11/09/bills.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

Philagape
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
He can throw in the wind.

But he can't throw in a dome.

Not accurately, anyway.

Philagape
11-09-2009, 04:47 PM

What if we built a time machine and brought back Vince Lombardi?

Philagape
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
his running skills are in decline as well.

That's the key. If he can't run, he's nothing, cuz he sure can't hit the side of a barn.

Demon
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
What if we built a time machine and brought back Vince Lombardi?

Yeah, because Thurman Thomas hinting Polian would be interested and him still having a house here makes it such a impossible move. Riiiiight.

Griff
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12492482/whitner-echoes-dungy-vick-would-be-good-in-buffalo

Whitner echoes Dungy: Vick would be good in Buffalo

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://images.cbssports.com/yui/latest/dragdrop/dragdrop-min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://images.cbssports.com/yui/latest/container/container-min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://images.cbssports.com/yui/latest/connection/connection-min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://images.cbssports.com/yui/latest/json/json-min.js"></script> <link href="http://images.cbssports.com/css/email/send-modal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://images.cbssports.com/js/CBSi/app/Email/SendPanel-min-v0001.js"></script>
<!-- T12492482 --><!-- Sesame Modified: 11/09/2009 14:18:32 --><!-- sversion: 5 $Updated: georgem$ --> ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- If Tony Dungy believes Michael Vick (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/235253/michael-vick) would be a good fit in Buffalo, Donte Whitner (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/423565/donte-whitner) is on board.
Confident Vick can regain his once-dynamic form, the Bills (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF/buffalo-bills) safety said Monday he would encourage his team to pursue Vick if the Eagles -- who hold a $5.2 million option for next season -- decide to release Vick in the offseason. Without referring to Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/410129/trent-edwards), Whitner said players are replaceable, and it's important for teams to bring in "other guys that can get the job done."
Whitner spoke a day after Dungy linked Vick and the Bills during NBC's NFL pre-game show. Dungy, who serves as Vick's adviser, referred to Buffalo as "a dark horse" candidate to land the quarterback after he said the Bills previously expressed interest.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.
I find it pretty funny that Whinter says players are replaceable, when he has proven himself to be very replaceable.

Philagape
11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, because Thurman Thomas hinting Polian would be interested and him still having a house here makes it such a impossible move. Riiiiight.

Oh, well, now I'm convinced.

jamze132
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I have no problem with Vick coming to Buffalo next year so as long as we draft a QB on Day 1 to be the eventual replacement. Other than that, I'm more interested in **** fighting.

Night Train
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Let's look at it from another perspective.

The only decent FA QB's potentially out there next year are Vick and Kyle Orton. The immobile Orton would get killed behind this line and will probably stay in Denver. The rest of the recently posted list are full of 2nd-3rd string bums. No front line starters in sight.

So getting Vick and drafting a future QB may be our only real plan. Can blame those who frown on this but the Bills dug their own hole thru past stupidity and options for 2010 are slim.

We already know Fitzpatrick can't be anything more than a backup on his best day and the Trent Edwards Experience has been played. We might as well run 3 TE's and bench all the WR's when he's in there.

realdealryan
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Ryan while you may be correct you must realize that the guy didn't have a very long time to train before the Eagles signed him. They even made mention of it last night that he was 15 to 20 pounds over his playing weight when first signed and is finally caught up.

Will he regain his full past form? Probably not, the key is how close can he get.

I have watched 3 Eagles games this season and it really is impossible to get any guage on the guy because he comes in takes a shotgun snap and runs right into the pile(complete waste of a play). Vick's running was never planned QB sneaks when the defense basically knew what was coming it was scrambling after no pass was available.

I want the Bills to keep all QB options open this season. Edwards is done IMO...and Fitz was never there. I want the college QB ranks, and all FA players looked at and the best fit brought in....

Sure, I'll allow that his game time has been minimal. But I would think he'd get off of the practice field and into the game if he showed them anything during the week. What else can he show us in workouts?

Front office hype/spin/gimme-yo-money tactics are getting old.

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
How would that be different from what we've been doing?

BertSquirtgum
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
how is this possible?

Mike13
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
He doesnt want to be a WC QB, he wants to start. So if he comes to Buffalo he'll be your starter not some rookie.

God you guys would be ****ed.

Saratoga Slim
11-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Another Brandon marketing stunt...

EXACTLY. If we signed Vick, it would be incredibly transparent. The TO signing made some sense from a football perspective, and even more from a marketing perspective. If we signed Vick, it would make zero sense from a football perspective. I'm not even sure it would be a successful marketing move, but that's exactly what it would be: a stunt to keep Buffalo on ESPN.

I think Russ Brandon is doing a great job running the business, but we really need a 'football guy' running the team. Perhaps there's room for both in the organization. But I don't think Brandon's the guy to handle both.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
how do the bills have a snowballs chance in hell at signing him? is he not still playing for the eagles and the fact that the trade deadline is over?

Miami_Vice
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Wow, if Vick comes to Buffalo that would really be a desperate move IMO. Its bad enough you guys brought in TO, now Vick??!
Whats next is Ralph Wilson gonna bail Plaxico Burress out of jail??

As a Miami fan, I really wouldnt mind this. Also, please give Jauron an extension! He deserves it!

HHURRICANE
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Vick is not coming to Buffalo. $10,000 to a local charity if I'm wrong.

MikeNC
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I dont think anyone will really know his future potential until he goes through a full training camp, then time will tell if he has a future in the NFL....

Demon
11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I dont think anyone will really know his future potential until he goes through a full training camp, then time will tell if he has a future in the NFL....

Exactly. Nobody can succeed under the circumstances he's in right now. I'm not saying Vick is a good idea or a bad idea, and i'm not saying Vick will be a good player again, but to say based on him being a bust in Philly as a reason not to look into him, is foolish.

Crisis
11-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Vick is not coming to Buffalo. $10,000 to a local charity if I'm wrong.

I really hope it happens now....and I hated Vick before all the dog fighting stuff

LooneyBin
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Pass.