PDA

View Full Version : If they go the Hot OC or DC route instead of Proven HC

BuffaloBlitz83
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Who is the guy?

Dick Labeau-Steelers, Bob Bratkowski-Bengals, Leslie Frazier-Vikings, Mike Smith-Falcons, Brian Schottenheimer-Jets, Jason Garrett-Cowboys, Bruce Arians-Steelers, Tom Moore-Colts, Marty Mornhinweg-Eagles, Mike Martz-Lions, Darrell Bevell-Vikings

Is a list of guys I think will get some looks by teams.

BillsWin
11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I can see Brian Schottenheimer or Jason Garrett being options. I would much rather go the proven route, as in a Jon Gruden or Brian Billick. Both would be affordable to an owner like Ralph Wilson, both have Super Bowl rings, both would put asses in the seats and they are the second tier of the proven. Perfect for a Ralph-Russ combination.

The dark horse is Dick LeBeau. He has history with the Bills and has consistently put one of the best defenses on the field year in, year out. He can be had at a cheaper salary, he is defensive minded and a good coach. Look for the Bills to at least interview him, much like they did with Mike Sherman last go-around. Maybe they pull the trigger on him.

yordad
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
If it is LeBeau I will freak out. :(

WeAreArthurMoates
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Frankly, I like Russ Grimm a lot. O line coaches have recently made the transistion well and he's been an assistant head coach for 6 years under two good coaches. He's a tough nosed, hall of fame guy who bring a lunch pal mentalitly to this squard. Most importantly, he would correct are biggest issue o line.

kernowboy
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
LeBeau is 72. Moore is 70.

Grimm has been a HC in waiting for while. Others seem to be this seasons hot thing.

Morhinweg flunked in his first outing at HC, whilst Martz is not a run orientated offensive guy, one of the reasons the 49ers let him go. Garrett is HC in waiting in Dallas.

Scottenheimer at 36 is a little green for my liking, whilst the Viking guys have not previously maximised the potential talent they've had.

It would be Grimm for me

BuffaloBlitz83
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
If it is LeBeau I will freak out. :(

Freak out, in good way or bad way? AVP will likely get canned if a new coach comes in. Coaches usually like picking there own staff. Not like AVP has proved anything in buffalo.

yordad
11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Freak out, in good way or bad way? AVP will likely get canned if a new coach comes in. Coaches usually like picking there own staff. Not like AVP has proved anything in buffalo.In a bad way. Hence the ":(".

RockStar36
11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Research would probably help this thread before posting.

Mudflap1
11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Russ Grimm or Leslie Frazier would be the best fit here out of that list IMO.

THATHURMANATOR
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Lebeu will NOT be a head coach. The Bills already tried to offer him the HC when he used to be our DC....

Martz??? Seriously?? HE STINKS

Morningweg?? NOOO

SquishDaFish
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Grimm is the only nonproven guy I would want. Maybe Garrett

BuffaloBlitz83
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't mind, the two coordinators in Minnesota.

RockStar36
11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
This list would be useful if the Bills FO wants to ensure that people will stop buying tickets.

Forward_Lateral
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
That list is ******ed.

BTW, Martz isn't with the Lions either.

scartown
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Gus Bradley but he could be a year or two from being ready to be a HC.

Lexwhat
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Who is the guy?

Dick Labeau-Steelers, Bob Bratkowski-Bengals, Leslie Frazier-Vikings, Mike Smith-Falcons, Brian Schottenheimer-Jets, Jason Garrett-Cowboys, Bruce Arians-Steelers, Tom Moore-Colts, Marty Mornhinweg-Eagles, Mike Martz-Lions, Darrell Bevell-Vikings

Identifying a good potential head coach is extremely difficult. Some assistant coaches / coordinators just need to stay in their current positions, as they don't transition well to being head coaches.

Anyways, Dick Lebeau is probably a lifetime D-Coordinator (as far as I know). I don't think he will ever become a head coach again. Tom Moore almost retired this year. I'm not sure what his official role is with the Colts now, but he will never be an NFL Head Coach.

Mike Martz and Marty Mornhinweg are better off staying as coordinators.

Mike Smith? You do know that he's their Head Coach, right?

Jason Garrett would never come to Buffalo.

Anyways, the only name on this list that intrigues me is Leslie Frazier.

naugem
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
People keep mentioning Gruden and Billick, but neither of them could make the offense work, and they were supposed to be offensive gurus.
I think they just fell into the right situation and that's why they got their rings, not because they know how to build a team or maximize the talent in it.
Besides, I can't stand Billick, and Gruden just barely. :D:

Lexwhat
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I can see Brian Schottenheimer or Jason Garrett being options. I would much rather go the proven route, as in a Jon Gruden or Brian Billick. Both would be affordable to an owner like Ralph Wilson, both have Super Bowl rings, both would put asses in the seats and they are the second tier of the proven. Perfect for a Ralph-Russ combination.

The dark horse is Dick LeBeau. He has history with the Bills and has consistently put one of the best defenses on the field year in, year out. He can be had at a cheaper salary, he is defensive minded and a good coach. Look for the Bills to at least interview him, much like they did with Mike Sherman last go-around. Maybe they pull the trigger on him.

Gruden will command at least $5 million a year. I don't think Wilson will pay that.

Brian Billick? I fail to see how he will help this sorry excuse for an Offense. He couldn't do it in Baltimore, so I doubt he will do that here either.

As for Dick Lebeau, I don't think he will ever want to be a head coach in the NFL. That guy just wants to run Defenses. Besdies, how can you say that he can be had at a "cheaper" salary? I am willing to bet he is one of the highest paid D-Coordinators in this league.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Jauron is owed 6 Million right? So 6 Mill plus 5 Million for a top coach seems unlikely. I hope I am wrong and Ralph shocks us all. But it is more likely, he hires a coach at 1-2 Million.

Tampa canned Gruden who was owedlike 14 Million and replaced him with Raheem who i doubt gets 1 Million.

justasportsfan
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Lebeu will NOT be a head coach. The Bills already tried to offer him the HC when he used to be our DC....

i don't recall that happening

BuffaloRanger
11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
What I'd like to see is the Bills bring in a Real OC and DC to be the OC and DC. Somebody whohas had success at that position, not a lesser one.

Bills first time coaches have gone back to being solid coordinators. Jauron could be a DC somewhere next year. It would be nice to get a group of quality coaches.

AVP is not.

Raptor
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Who is the guy?

You know what pisses me off we had D.Lebeau in this org coaching defense and we kept J.Gray over him when we should have given Labeau a blank check to stay here as a DC no matter who we hired as an HC next and kicked J.Gray to the curb where his overrated ace belonged

BuffaloBlitz83
11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
You know what pisses me off we had D.Lebeau in this org coaching defense and we kept J.Gray over him when we should have given Labeau a blank check to stay here as a DC no matter who we hired as an HC next and kicked J.Gray to the curb where his overrated ace belonged

Did we really get rid of Lebeau? Or did he choose to go elsewhere?

Demon
11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
If they go the unproven way, then "they" better be a new, proven front office. They will need to get a real football guru at GM and not the guys we having running the show right now. I have no confidence that these guys who are at OBD can separate good coaches from bad coaches based on interviews.

My personal favorite for coach from the unprovens would be Grimm like many have said or Brian Schottenheimer. I don't think it's fair to judge the Jets offense this season because i think they are doing a lot of what Baltimore did last year with Joe Flacco. They are not making him make tough decisions and are allowing the defense to win.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-11-2009, 07:59 AM

We did not keep Gray over LeBeau, we actually offered him the DC job but he went to Pittsburgh instead. Try knowing the facts before you post.

Don't Panic
11-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Grimm is intriguing, for all the reasons stated above, but I really hope we go with someone who has HC experience. Billick doesn't do it for me, and I don't see Gruden (or Shanahan, or Cowher) coming here, so that leaves very few mid to top shelf options. I guess I'd consider Marty...

I'd really like to see it be John Fox if/when the Panthers cut him loose. His one glaring negative has been that he has stuck with Del Homme, but I think that was only partially his fault. The FO has to get some blame for that, too... especially in terms of the extension. He has always been committed to the running game, and he was one of the first to consistently use a two headed monster in the backfield. Our O would need little changing (outside of potentially the QB position) as he already has his two backs and a poor man's Steve Smith in Lee Evans (which is good since he is defensively minded). And since his strength is D, that would be helpful.

It would take him two off-seasons to get our personnel on D where it needed to be to run his system, but that's only one season, which I could live with. He's been to the Super Bowl, and there would be no learning curve in terms of learning how to be a HC. Plus, I could see his asking price being reasonable in terms of what other vet. coaches would want.