Can someone please explain this waiver business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Can someone please explain this waiver business?

So, the Sabres put Mair on waivers.

He clears waivers. They keep him and don't send him down to Portland.

So, what the hell was the point of putting him on waivers? It's like we gave someone else a crack to grab one of our players for no real reason.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that they did it as a favor to Mair, knowing that we have too many fwd's and he won't get much ice time unless someone gets hurt.

Anyone?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Can someone please explain this waiver business?

Now that he has cleared waivers he can be sent down to Portland at any time they see fit for a certain period of time. I guess this would make it a quicker transaction if they need him to go down within 24 hours.
    Last edited by hydro; 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM.
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Myers57
      Registered User and McLovin stunt double
      • Sep 2003

If he gets sent to Portland I don't believe he counts towards the salary cap. They may have did this because they are planning on another player, which will allow the Sabres to send Mair to Portland for room on the cap.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

thanks- makes more sense now.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Actually, I don't believe it was for the cap. I also don't see why they did this. I did hear briefly on GR that Darcy said something like, he almost traded Mair too about the time when they traded Paille.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jan 2004

Darcy explains waivers listen carefully

Comment

• Nighthawk
              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dpgranger
              If he gets sent to Portland I don't believe he counts towards the salary cap. They may have did this because they are planning on another player, which will allow the Sabres to send Mair to Portland for room on the cap.
              I don't believe this is true...he has an NHL contract, not a two-way contract, so even if he's in Portland, I believe he counts against the cap. Not a 100% sure...but that would be the only reason I could see why they would keep him here if they didn't have room for him.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                I don't believe this is true...he has an NHL contract, not a two-way contract, so even if he's in Portland, I believe he counts against the cap. Not a 100% sure...but that would be the only reason I could see why they would keep him here if they didn't have room for him.
                No, I believe that if they are in Portland, they don't count against the cap. A two way contract only means a contract that has two different pay scales. One a high contract if you make the NHL roster and a lower one if you don't.

After watching the video of Darcy, the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.

Comment

• rbochan
                  Zamboni Driver
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                  Darcy explains waivers listen carefully...
                  Whenever Darcy speaks, all I hear is the teacher from Charlie Brown.

Last edited by rbochan; 11-11-2009, 07:10 AM.
                  ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                  it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                    Darcy explains waivers listen carefully
                    thanks but it still doesnt explain exactly why this move was made, still doesnt make total sense to me, feels like some piece of info is missing
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                      the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.
                      sounds like a good guess, makes some sense anyway. that way they also have at least the option to send him down for ten games before he has to clear call up waivers

if youre correct, i suppose it would be callous for darcy to come right out and say it but it would be nice if we could get a confirmation cuz right now it seems counterintuitive and i would like to know for future reference in case it happens again we know wtf is going on
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

I do know that once he cleared waivers he was eligible for his outright release, but I have no idea if that is their intention considering they haven't done anything since then with him.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                          No, I believe that if they are in Portland, they don't count against the cap. A two way contract only means a contract that has two different pay scales. One a high contract if you make the NHL roster and a lower one if you don't.

After watching the video of Darcy, the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.
                          Yeah, from what I've been able to dig up, it sounds like you're correct. This entire process is confusing!

We are delighted to welcome you to this blog which was created to bring you the latest NHL news, rumors, and development in a fun, simple, and exciting manner.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by RockStar36
                            I do know that once he cleared waivers he was eligible for his outright release, but I have no idea if that is their intention considering they haven't done anything since then with him.
                            They don't want to pay him. If they release him, they still have to pay him.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

it looked to me from the video that DR felt the position had been upgraded and that was a positive for the team. So they don't need Mair any more and he's just hanging around even though he can play and deserves to play so they tried to get him to a team where he could contribute. I know people are very dismal that it's all about money all the time and certainly money is important but if you really want to build a strong culture then people are very important too. DR's job is to work with the people. Seems pretty reasonable to me they tried to help a person out who thought he was going to be on the ice when the season started. I've gotten the short end of the stick before and had people help me out similarly. Sometimes situations change and organizations have to create the best situations for themselves. That doesn't mean they have to throw people away like garbage like the Bills seem to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X