PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain this waiver business?

OpIv37
11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
So, the Sabres put Mair on waivers.

He clears waivers. They keep him and don't send him down to Portland.

So, what the hell was the point of putting him on waivers? It's like we gave someone else a crack to grab one of our players for no real reason.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that they did it as a favor to Mair, knowing that we have too many fwd's and he won't get much ice time unless someone gets hurt.

Anyone?

hydro
11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Now that he has cleared waivers he can be sent down to Portland at any time they see fit for a certain period of time. I guess this would make it a quicker transaction if they need him to go down within 24 hours.

Myers57
11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
If he gets sent to Portland I don't believe he counts towards the salary cap. They may have did this because they are planning on another player, which will allow the Sabres to send Mair to Portland for room on the cap.

OpIv37
11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
thanks- makes more sense now.

chernobylwraiths
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Actually, I don't believe it was for the cap. I also don't see why they did this. I did hear briefly on GR that Darcy said something like, he almost traded Mair too about the time when they traded Paille.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Darcy explains waivers listen carefully

<iframe width="480" height="289" frameborder="0" src="http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/embed.jsp?catid=668&id=51053"></iframe>

Nighthawk
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
If he gets sent to Portland I don't believe he counts towards the salary cap. They may have did this because they are planning on another player, which will allow the Sabres to send Mair to Portland for room on the cap.

I don't believe this is true...he has an NHL contract, not a two-way contract, so even if he's in Portland, I believe he counts against the cap. Not a 100% sure...but that would be the only reason I could see why they would keep him here if they didn't have room for him.

chernobylwraiths
11-11-2009, 06:28 AM
I don't believe this is true...he has an NHL contract, not a two-way contract, so even if he's in Portland, I believe he counts against the cap. Not a 100% sure...but that would be the only reason I could see why they would keep him here if they didn't have room for him.

No, I believe that if they are in Portland, they don't count against the cap. A two way contract only means a contract that has two different pay scales. One a high contract if you make the NHL roster and a lower one if you don't.

After watching the video of Darcy, the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.

rbochan
11-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Darcy explains waivers listen carefully...

Whenever Darcy speaks, all I hear is the teacher from Charlie Brown.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Meathead
11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Darcy explains waivers listen carefully
thanks but it still doesnt explain exactly why this move was made, still doesnt make total sense to me, feels like some piece of info is missing

Meathead
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.
sounds like a good guess, makes some sense anyway. that way they also have at least the option to send him down for ten games before he has to clear call up waivers

if youre correct, i suppose it would be callous for darcy to come right out and say it but it would be nice if we could get a confirmation cuz right now it seems counterintuitive and i would like to know for future reference in case it happens again we know wtf is going on

RockStar36
11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
I do know that once he cleared waivers he was eligible for his outright release, but I have no idea if that is their intention considering they haven't done anything since then with him.

Nighthawk
11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
No, I believe that if they are in Portland, they don't count against the cap. A two way contract only means a contract that has two different pay scales. One a high contract if you make the NHL roster and a lower one if you don't.

After watching the video of Darcy, the only reason I can think of for them putting him on waivers if the hope that someone picks him up so that they can take his salary off the books. They have to pay him now anyway, so they might as well keep him up with the team.

Yeah, from what I've been able to dig up, it sounds like you're correct. This entire process is confusing! :dizzy:

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm

chernobylwraiths
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I do know that once he cleared waivers he was eligible for his outright release, but I have no idea if that is their intention considering they haven't done anything since then with him.

They don't want to pay him. If they release him, they still have to pay him.

Typ0
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
it looked to me from the video that DR felt the position had been upgraded and that was a positive for the team. So they don't need Mair any more and he's just hanging around even though he can play and deserves to play so they tried to get him to a team where he could contribute. I know people are very dismal that it's all about money all the time and certainly money is important but if you really want to build a strong culture then people are very important too. DR's job is to work with the people. Seems pretty reasonable to me they tried to help a person out who thought he was going to be on the ice when the season started. I've gotten the short end of the stick before and had people help me out similarly. Sometimes situations change and organizations have to create the best situations for themselves. That doesn't mean they have to throw people away like garbage like the Bills seem to do.

chernobylwraiths
11-12-2009, 06:18 AM
I believe that if hockey salaries weren't guaranteed, the Sabres would have thrown him away like a used condom.

Typ0
11-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I believe that if hockey salaries weren't guaranteed, the Sabres would have thrown him away like a used condom.

I'm not saying anyone other than an idiot would do the "noble" thing and eat a bunch of cash. However, they would handle the situation with tact and show the person the respect of talking to him about the situation and what not unlike the Bills who have no problem letting their veteran players find out they are no longer on the team via the evening news. Given the situation they were trying to get him onto a roster where he could play.

RockStar36
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I got that out of interview as well. DR said Mair is in a contract year so they were trying to give him an opportunity to play so it doesn't hurt his upcoming free agency.

I personally don't think it's about money and I'm sure if they wanted him gone they would eat the money. It's not like he is one of the highest paid players on the team.

chernobylwraiths
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not saying anyone other than an idiot would do the "noble" thing and eat a bunch of cash. However, they would handle the situation with tact and show the person the respect of talking to him about the situation and what not unlike the Bills who have no problem letting their veteran players find out they are no longer on the team via the evening news. Given the situation they were trying to get him onto a roster where he could play.

Like they handled Peca, LaFontaine, Drury, McKee, Briere, Dumont, etc. with tact?

RockStar36
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Like they handled Peca, LaFontaine, Drury, McKee, Briere, Dumont, etc. with tact?

Hold on, settle down.

Letting people go into free agency and move on with another team isn't treating a player bad. It's a part of business. By your standards, every team handles their players poorly then.

chernobylwraiths
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Hold on, settle down.

Letting people go into free agency and move on with another team isn't treating a player bad. It's a part of business. By your standards, every team handles their players poorly then.

Those specific players mentioned bad dealings with Sabres management.

RockStar36
11-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Those specific players mentioned bad dealings with Sabres management.

Well if they said it, it must be true.

I don't feel like getting into an argument, but Mike Peca's word means nothing to me. The guy was a dick and he sat out the entire season. No way am I blaming the Sabres on that one.

chernobylwraiths
11-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Well if they said it, it must be true.

I don't feel like getting into an argument, but Mike Peca's word means nothing to me. The guy was a dick and he sat out the entire season. No way am I blaming the Sabres on that one.

Right, because Darcy is sooooooooooooooooooo much more believable than any player.

When more and more players start saying they have problems making deals with the Sabres management, I think something is wrong.

trapezeus
11-13-2009, 08:53 PM

your suppose to throw them away?

chernobylwraiths
11-14-2009, 11:53 AM
your suppose to throw them away?

supposed