PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

DMBcrew36
11-11-2009, 02:22 PM
This football season, the debate about head injuries has reached a critical mass. Startling research has been unveiled. Maudlin headlines have been written. Congress called a hearing on the subject last month.

As obvious as the problem may seem (wait, you mean football is dangerous?), continuing revelations about the troubling mental declines of some retired players—and the ongoing parade of concussions during games—have created a sense of inevitability. Pretty soon, something will have to be done.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/PJ-AS381_SPORT1_D_20091110224511.jpg (http://billszone.com/fanzone/)

But before the debate goes any further, there's a fundamental question that needs to be investigated. Why do football players wear helmets in the first place? And more important, could the helmets be part of the problem?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704402404574527881984299454.html

THATHURMANATOR
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Interesting point. No helmets would cut things down.

mybills
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Without helmets, would the QB wear an ear piece like an FBI or CIA agent?

mybills
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't like like the lack of neck support, never mind getting rid of the helmet all together.

don137
11-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Its just like hockey. Very less regard for the player once they started wearing helmets.

Ingtar33
11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
No helmets would get someone killed.

Before helmets were worn in football players were getting killed on the field. congress threatened to ban football, and so football made leather helmets required equipment.

the game is really hyper violent. take the helmets away and players would kill eachother.

What i think should be looked at is a complete redesign of the football helmet. I think we have enough high tech materials and computer models to design something that will protect a player far better then the current designs.

hydro
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
No helmets would get someone killed.

Before helmets were worn in football players were getting killed on the field. congress threatened to ban football, and so football made leather helmets required equipment.

the game is really hyper violent. take the helmets away and players would kill eachother.

What i think should be looked at is a complete redesign of the football helmet. I think we have enough high tech materials and computer models to design something that will protect a player far better then the current designs.

What about rugby? They hit pretty hard in that sport and don't wear helmets...

Mr. Pink
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
If players didn't wear helmets there would be less concussions, head to head hits, and players leading with the crown ie spearing.

Players would have some respect for others and themselves. Mainly themselves because who's gonna go jumping head first into someone without a piece of plastic protecting their head?

Helmets and pads make people feel "invincible" without that protection, they'd think twice about some of the dirtier hits you see week after week.

kernowboy
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM

You think American Football is tough - it compares nothing to Rugby. The game might actually go back to genuine athletes, rather than fat slobs in the trenches.

Mr. Pink
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Or Aussie Rules Football.

I'm not sure which is rougher.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Leatherheads_ver2.jpg

ParanoidAndroid
11-12-2009, 10:28 AM
A lighter, more elastic helmet might be a solution. Keep them thick but get rid of the hard outer shell for something more forgiving. A solid middle layer would help diffuse the shock while the softer outer layer would reduce the initial impact energy. There still can be a nice shiny layer for the logo. I'm going to send a design in and make my millions.

MikeInRoch
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
While I agree that it might cut down on the number of injuries caused by leading with the head, I really am concerned about other injuries if they didn't have helmets. Anyone see Westbrook's concussion a few weeks ago? A guy came flying in and (presumably) accidentally smashed into his head with a knee at high velocity. Not wearing helmets doesn't prevent that contact in the least - but probably results in a MUCH worse injury for Westbrook.

MikeInRoch
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM

I've read a couple things by doctors who have been studying this for quite a while now. They don't feel that a few inches of any material we know about in any design will be sufficient to prevent significant brain damage. Not that we can't improve what we have, certainly, but we likely can't do enough.

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I dsiagree with the freakenomics argument (read their seat belt chapter if you dont get the reference) that helmets have made players less conscious of others.

As Ing pointed out that even before helmets players had little regard for themselves and even less for opposing players. As seen where players were dying from hits on the field. You must have helmets.

Rugby and Aussie Rules Football aren't fair comparisons hit wise because there aren't pads and such that they wear. If Football players wore nothing I could see the similarites but you're talking about pads and such that also must play into the equation.

trapezeus
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
do you run crossing patterns with your head turned away from a defender in rugby? i don't know. i think while it's definitely very tough, you generally see who is coming at you and can prepare. football has a lot of blindside hits in the passing game on the QB and the WR's.

I thought they had new helmets that are supposedly concussion proof at the kids level? they look a little different, but they exist.

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
do you run crossing patterns with your head turned away from a defender in rugby? i don't know. i think while it's definitely very tough, you generally see who is coming at you and can prepare. football has a lot of blindside hits in the passing game on the QB and the WR's.

I thought they had new helmets that are supposedly concussion proof at the kids level? they look a little different, but they exist.

I think they are in limited use in Little Leagues, but they are more expensive and some park districts can't afford them.

I mean hell look at DI-A New Mexico State's Football Team, they are so poor they had to ask Boosters to buy them groceries for players to snack on after practice and between practices. Great story, but a little sad.