• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

Yahoo sports mid season awards...DROY- Byrd Worst DROY- Maybin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Best defensive rookie: Jairus Byrd(notes), Bills

Personnel men loved his ability to track the ball and make a play when he was coming out of Oregon. Now we know why. His seven interceptions put him on pace to break the rookie record of 10 picks in a season, and tie the post-merger record of 14. He also tied an NFL record with two interceptions in three straight games. Four of those turnovers played prominently in wins over the Jets and Carolina Panthers, while Byrd has also shown a knack for playing center field and breaking up passes.

Anti-award: Aaron Maybin(notes), Bills

Unlike Byrd, the Buffalo Bills have gotten virtually nothing out of Maybin. The defensive end has six tackles and no sacks in eight games, and has been almost non-existent in his pass-rushing opportunities. I hate to make the comparison this early, but he kind of reminds me of former Packers bust Jamal Reynolds. If you don’t remember Reynolds, then, well, that’s kind of the point.

Best game: Minnesota 27, San Francisco 24, Week 3

We’ll talk forever about the aforementioned 32-yard touchdown pass in the final seconds. But in its entirety, this was a superb game. It featured five lead changes, a blocked field goal for a touchdown, a 101-yard kick return for a score and what should have been known as the first game 49ers tight end Vernon Davis(notes) fully realized his vast potential. And all of that came before Favre’s 87-second, 80-yard, game-winning touchdown drive. Even watching Adrian Peterson (the unstoppable force) pound it out against Patrick Willis(notes) (the immovable object) was extremely entertaining. I hate the phrase “instant classic,” but this was the rare NFL game you could have immediately rewound and watched over again.

Anti-award: Cleveland 6, Buffalo 3, Week 5

This was concrete proof the NFL should retain the right to black out some games at halftime – especially if the league is interested in protecting the product. The game’s first 59-plus minutes had produced a 3-3 tie. Cleveland’s Derek Anderson(notes) completed his first pass of the game with 46 seconds left in the first half, then finished 2 of 17 for 23 yards … and won. This one was pretty much an utter failure from every angle, unless your goal was a combination of drinking and depression.

Although it is too early to call Maybin a bust I hated the pick.

They needed to select someone to come in and make an immediate impact from day one

Which is why Micheal Oher should have been an easy pick

Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...Which is why Maybin should have went to a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Chargers etc
    Last edited by sauce; 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM.
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Re: Yahoo sports mid season awards...DROY- Byrd Worst DROY- Maybin

What about Andre Smith, Tyson Jackson, Jason Smith, BJ Raji?

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL. Jackson has been awful in KC as has Raji in GB- not cracking starting rotation, And Andre Smith is a joke and injured for year already. Lots of disappointments in first 11 picks thus far.

Comment

• sauce
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL. Jackson has been awful in KC as has Raji in GB- not cracking starting rotation, And Andre Smith is a joke and injured for year already. Lots of disappointments in first 11 picks thus far.
      He got the award for worst OROY click the link

Valid points on Jackson and on Raji
      Last edited by sauce; 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

giving out a worst rookie of the year award is a joke, since many 1st rounders don't see the field too much in their rookie year.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by sauce

Although it is too early to call Maybin a bust I hated the pick.

They needed to select someone to come in and make an immediate impact from day one

Which is why Micheal Oher should have been an easy pick

Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...Which is why Maybin should have went to a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Chargers etc

we should have grabbed one of the USC LBS

Comment

• sauce
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by djjimkelly
            we should have grabbed one of the USC LBS
            Really?

Instead of Oher?

Have to disagree Oher has played well at RT and LT and although he has struggled a bit recently there have been various reports saying Oher should be a "rock" on the Oline for many years to come

Comment

• MassEffect218435
              • Apr 2009

Yeah, Maybin has been pretty pathetic thus far. But why is everyone surprised? It was pretty obvious going into the year that he's a 2 or 3 year project.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Maybin was picked because he was supposed to add a spark to our pass rush and then develop into a more valuable player in several areas over the course of time. I haven't been seeing a lot of sparks out there. But in his defense the guts of our DLine is not good at all so all a team needs to do is run at them when Maybin is on the field...
                Last edited by Typ0; 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL.
                  Your posts have a lot of factual errors.

Latest on OT Jason Smith including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

I must admit I haven't seen Smith play, so I have no idea how well he's doing.

But at least don't make stuff up.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                    We play to win the game!
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                    Your posts have a lot of factual errors.

Latest on OT Jason Smith including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

I must admit I haven't seen Smith play, so I have no idea how well he's doing.

But at least don't make stuff up.
                    Ok he got to start Week 8. He gt beat out by Barron at LT. They use him as a rotational OL. It is pretty sad that Barron beat him out.

Comment

• sauce
                      • Dec 2008

This message board is horrible....

There is hardly ever action and when there is it's subpar

This is why I post at the Buffalorange.com. I recommend this to anyone who is on here

Why wait for posts to be updated once every hour

Sorry to knock on the people who are regulars here

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                        • Mar 2004

This message board is horrible....

There is hardly ever action and when there is it's subpar

This is why I post at the Buffalorange.com. I recommend this to anyone who is on here

Why wait for posts to be updated once every hour

Sorry to knock on the people who are regulars here
                        Wow really its almost the same thing...

Comment

• Crisis
                          • Aug 2004

the range is terrible.
                          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                          Vanek is Austrian not European
                          Originally posted by Prov401
                          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                          Originally posted by better days
                          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                            • Apr 2008

maybin looks like some kid from the make a wish foundation whos wish was to play in the nfl and the Bills granted it to him. schobel will get a sack and little maybin will run around and hop up and down like he just won the superbowl, even though he got knocked backwards on his "pass rush."

Comment

• zone
                              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                              • Oct 2003

[
                              Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...

This couldn't be more true. I originally hated the pick and eventually warmed up to it thinking; maybe, just maybe, there is a possibility of him making an impact this year.

That is what we needed and impact this year, Oher should be in a Bills uniform right now.
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X