PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo sports mid season awards...DROY- Byrd Worst DROY- Maybin

sauce
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao9OuiX2SJqtzkgtu0ycdgo5nYcB?slug=cr-inconvenienttruths111109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Best defensive rookie: Jairus Byrd(notes), Bills

Personnel men loved his ability to track the ball and make a play when he was coming out of Oregon. Now we know why. His seven interceptions put him on pace to break the rookie record of 10 picks in a season, and tie the post-merger record of 14. He also tied an NFL record with two interceptions in three straight games. Four of those turnovers played prominently in wins over the Jets and Carolina Panthers, while Byrd has also shown a knack for playing center field and breaking up passes.

Anti-award: Aaron Maybin(notes), Bills

Unlike Byrd, the Buffalo Bills have gotten virtually nothing out of Maybin. The defensive end has six tackles and no sacks in eight games, and has been almost non-existent in his pass-rushing opportunities. I hate to make the comparison this early, but he kind of reminds me of former Packers bust Jamal Reynolds. If you don’t remember Reynolds, then, well, that’s kind of the point.

Best game: Minnesota 27, San Francisco 24, Week 3

We’ll talk forever about the aforementioned 32-yard touchdown pass in the final seconds. But in its entirety, this was a superb game. It featured five lead changes, a blocked field goal for a touchdown, a 101-yard kick return for a score and what should have been known as the first game 49ers tight end Vernon Davis(notes) fully realized his vast potential. And all of that came before Favre’s 87-second, 80-yard, game-winning touchdown drive. Even watching Adrian Peterson (the unstoppable force) pound it out against Patrick Willis(notes) (the immovable object) was extremely entertaining. I hate the phrase “instant classic,” but this was the rare NFL game you could have immediately rewound and watched over again.

Anti-award: Cleveland 6, Buffalo 3, Week 5

This was concrete proof the NFL should retain the right to black out some games at halftime – especially if the league is interested in protecting the product. The game’s first 59-plus minutes had produced a 3-3 tie. Cleveland’s Derek Anderson(notes) completed his first pass of the game with 46 seconds left in the first half, then finished 2 of 17 for 23 yards … and won. This one was pretty much an utter failure from every angle, unless your goal was a combination of drinking and depression.

Although it is too early to call Maybin a bust I hated the pick.

They needed to select someone to come in and make an immediate impact from day one

Which is why Micheal Oher should have been an easy pick

Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...Which is why Maybin should have went to a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Chargers etc

BuffaloBlitz83
11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
What about Andre Smith, Tyson Jackson, Jason Smith, BJ Raji?

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL. Jackson has been awful in KC as has Raji in GB- not cracking starting rotation, And Andre Smith is a joke and injured for year already. Lots of disappointments in first 11 picks thus far.

sauce
11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL. Jackson has been awful in KC as has Raji in GB- not cracking starting rotation, And Andre Smith is a joke and injured for year already. Lots of disappointments in first 11 picks thus far.

He got the award for worst OROY click the link

Valid points on Jackson and on Raji

Crisis
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
giving out a worst rookie of the year award is a joke, since many 1st rounders don't see the field too much in their rookie year.

djjimkelly
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Although it is too early to call Maybin a bust I hated the pick.

They needed to select someone to come in and make an immediate impact from day one

Which is why Micheal Oher should have been an easy pick

Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...Which is why Maybin should have went to a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Chargers etc

we should have grabbed one of the USC LBS

sauce
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
we should have grabbed one of the USC LBS

Really?

Instead of Oher?

Have to disagree Oher has played well at RT and LT and although he has struggled a bit recently there have been various reports saying Oher should be a "rock" on the Oline for many years to come

MassEffect218435
11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Yeah, Maybin has been pretty pathetic thus far. But why is everyone surprised? It was pretty obvious going into the year that he's a 2 or 3 year project.

Typ0
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Maybin was picked because he was supposed to add a spark to our pass rush and then develop into a more valuable player in several areas over the course of time. I haven't been seeing a lot of sparks out there. But in his defense the guts of our DLine is not good at all so all a team needs to do is run at them when Maybin is on the field...

Lexwhat
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Jason Smith the top Tackle drafted can't even sniff the starting rotation on a terrible Rams OL.

Your posts have a lot of factual errors.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonsmith/profile?id=SMI390022

I must admit I haven't seen Smith play, so I have no idea how well he's doing.

But at least don't make stuff up.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Your posts have a lot of factual errors.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonsmith/profile?id=SMI390022

I must admit I haven't seen Smith play, so I have no idea how well he's doing.

But at least don't make stuff up.

Ok he got to start Week 8. He gt beat out by Barron at LT. They use him as a rotational OL. It is pretty sad that Barron beat him out.

sauce
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
This message board is horrible....

There is hardly ever action and when there is it's subpar

This is why I post at the Buffalorange.com. I recommend this to anyone who is on here

Why wait for posts to be updated once every hour

Sorry to knock on the people who are regulars here

SeatownBillsFan21
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
This message board is horrible....

There is hardly ever action and when there is it's subpar

This is why I post at the Buffalorange.com. I recommend this to anyone who is on here

Why wait for posts to be updated once every hour

Sorry to knock on the people who are regulars here
Wow really its almost the same thing...

Crisis
11-12-2009, 02:02 AM
the range is terrible.

Dr. Pepper
11-12-2009, 03:12 AM
maybin looks like some kid from the make a wish foundation whos wish was to play in the nfl and the Bills granted it to him. schobel will get a sack and little maybin will run around and hop up and down like he just won the superbowl, even though he got knocked backwards on his "pass rush."

zone
11-12-2009, 06:02 AM
[
Bad teams do not have the luxury to pick "projects" in the top 15 picks...

This couldn't be more true. I originally hated the pick and eventually warmed up to it thinking; maybe, just maybe, there is a possibility of him making an impact this year.

That is what we needed and impact this year, Oher should be in a Bills uniform right now.

don137
11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I know it is too early to say he is a bust or not but I still expected a lot more out of him as a rookie. His rookie grade is definitely an F. I expected his run stopping skills to be a work in progress but I expected him to contribute as a pass rusher this year.

Mahdi
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM

True. AND Jackson and Raji actually get a lot of playing time. Maybin does not get many snaps.

If anyone is a bust its the top 10 guys who are playing and not doing well.

HHURRICANE
11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Maybin is a bust.

MassEffect218435
11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Comparing Raji to Maybin makes no sense. Raji's job is to literally be fat and take up blockers, he's not supposed to be productive as a NT. In fact, outside of Jay Ratliff there is rarely an overly productive NT. Maybin's job is to pin his ears back and get to the QB, and he's failing miserably.

Comparing him to Jackson makes just as much sense. Jackson's job as a 3-4 DE is not necessarily to apply pressure to the QB, find a 3-4 DE that posts double digit sacks. Even the best of them rarely top 5 sacks a season. The great Richard Seymour (maybe the best 3-4 DE in the past decade) has never surpassed 8 sacks in a given season and averages 5.125 sacks a season over his eight year career. 3-4 DE simply isn't a position that gets much pressure on the QB, the idea is to occupy and allow your elite OLB (Harrison, Ware, etc..) get the pressure. By the way, if Jackson played in the style of defense that Buffalo runs he'd be a DT.

He will forever be compared to whatever Orakpo does, and thus far Orakpo is doing far better playing a position he hasn't played on a regular basis since middle school. Having said that, Maybin has a lot of "potential" and might one day be a very good pass rusher. But there's no denying that he has a long way to go both physically and mentally.

bigbub2352
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybin is way to early to call a bust,
He is an OLB/DE in a 3-4 scheme not a Cover 2 DE in a 4-3 scheme blame the coachs for not fitting him into a role he could be effective in
Fewell's horrible scheme has been a joke to every DE here since his scheme came in
Schobel had 1 good yr under Fewell
the rest have all been horrible u do the math
Our scheme's and coaching and development of players is a joke
Maybin should be used like Merriman but right now he is barley used at all
again way to go Russ Skeletor Modrak and Fewell way to go!

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybin is a bust.

Coming from you that may be a compliment.

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Comparing Raji to Maybin makes no sense. Raji's job is to literally be fat and take up blockers, he's not supposed to be productive as a NT. In fact, outside of Jay Ratliff there is rarely an overly productive NT. Maybin's job is to pin his ears back and get to the QB, and he's failing miserably.

Comparing him to Jackson makes just as much sense. Jackson's job as a 3-4 DE is not necessarily to apply pressure to the QB, find a 3-4 DE that posts double digit sacks. Even the best of them rarely top 5 sacks a season. The great Richard Seymour (maybe the best 3-4 DE in the past decade) has never surpassed 8 sacks in a given season and averages 5.125 sacks a season over his eight year career. 3-4 DE simply isn't a position that gets much pressure on the QB, the idea is to occupy and allow your elite OLB (Harrison, Ware, etc..) get the pressure. By the way, if Jackson played in the style of defense that Buffalo runs he'd be a DT.

He will forever be compared to whatever Orakpo does, and thus far Orakpo is doing far better playing a position he hasn't played on a regular basis since middle school. Having said that, Maybin has a lot of "potential" and might one day be a very good pass rusher. But there's no denying that he has a long way to go both physically and mentally.

What is this? An intelligent post? Holy **** Batman!

Don't you know these aren't allowed here. Only irrational thoughts!