PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pike fans

Demon
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
We all know what Tony Pike can do. We all know his wins and style of game. However, since he's gotten injured, Zach Collaros comes in and actually OUT PLAYS Pike. I once posted and said Cincy has loaded WR's, and the more I watch, the more I believe that even though the Cincy fan told me i was out of my mind for saying that. How is it, that Pike should be a top 15 pick and the future NFL QB yet his back up does better then him?

Todd McShay was just on ESPN and was talking about this, which is why i got the idea to post this. He said both are very good QB's and different styles, but said Collaros allows them for more deep passes and spreads the offense more. He was asked, when Cincy is in a bowl game, and both are healthy, who starts? McShay said Zach Collaros.

Passing OVER 10 yards ----

<table><tbody><tr></tr></tbody><thead><tr><th>
</th> <th>Collaros</th> <th>Pike</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td>Comp-Att</td> <td>33-43</td> <td>32-65</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Comp pct</td> <td>76.7</td> <td>49.2</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>Yds per att</td> <td>19.7</td> <td>10.5</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td>TD-Int</td> <td>7-0</td> <td>7-2</td></tr></tbody></table>
Interesting to see one QB having great success passing over 10 yards while the other is not very good. I think it's fair to say, as long as Cincy has LOADED WR's (Gilyard and Binns) who play against much slower and weaker CBs.... it doesn't matter who the QB as long as he can throw the ball down field.

It's the system that is giving Pike the success, not skill.

How do Pike fans explain this?

k-oneputt
11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Pike isn't a top-15 pick.

tampabay25690
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Pike isn't even a 2 rounder...

Demon
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
That's why i said question for Pike fans.... the ones who want Pike to be picked in the first round and be the future of this team. lol

No need for you guys here. Sorry guys. haha

tampabay25690
11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
You wont get anyone here then??? j/k I think there is 2 or 3 here..

Ingtar33
11-12-2009, 12:46 AM
neither QB really impresses me.

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Pike excels at what we need. A short to intermediate passer who has a good eye and a quick release. He's a leader and plays through pain and is fiery.

That being said he's still raw and needs work. His arm strength imo is not even a big deal. Its neither great nor a hinderance.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Pike excels at what we need. A short to intermediate passer who has a good eye and a quick release. He's a leader and plays through pain and is fiery.

That being said he's still raw and needs work. His arm strength imo is not even a big deal. Its neither great nor a hinderance.

Short,intermediate passer, He'll get killed on these boards and be called Captain Checkdown unless he throws 10-12 passes over 35 yards

DraftBoy
11-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Short,intermediate passer, He'll get killed on these boards and be called Captain Checkdown unless he throws 10-12 passes over 35 yards

Maybe but as long as he is accurate and can hit the intermediate routes (which Edwards fails to do), he'll be fine.

yordad
11-13-2009, 09:17 AM
How about a QB who can do it all? We don't know what the next coach will have planned for this offense.

X-Era
11-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Word from McShay on ESPN is that scouts are "cooling" on him.

Teams cooling on Pike?

Cincinnati QB Tony Pike (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25575)'s draft stock skyrocketed briefly early this season, but the more scouts dig the less enamored they are with Pike's pro potential. He has never been a true student of the game and he's not a great practice player, and more than one scout has mentioned concerns regarding Pike's mental capacity.
While he does show good accuracy and a quick release it's obvious that coach Brian Kelly's passer-friendly scheme inflates Pike's statistics. Plus, Pike lacks great arm strength, is too lean and his lingering wrist injury has scouts questioning whether he can hold up physically in the NFL. In the end, Pike will be lucky to hear his name called in the first four rounds.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:50 AM
His stock is plummeting right now. Ive dropped him from my #1 rated Senior QB at the moment as well.

The wrist thing is what bugs me, as I can't speak to the mental stuff.

tampabay25690
11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
His stock is plummeting right now. Ive dropped him from my #1 rated Senior QB at the moment as well.

The wrist thing is what bugs me, as I can't speak to the mental stuff.

Agree with you..
I don't have him going in the 1st few rounds.
Even before injury I had him later then the 2nd round.

PECKERWOOD
11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
You want your quarterback to thrive on the short and intermediate passes, he just needs to be able to hit the deep route on occasion to keep the defense honest, that's all.