PDA

View Full Version : More Dungy commentary on Vick-to-Buffalo speculation

patmoran2006
11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Dungy is obviously very close to this situation. He’s served as a mentor to Vick even before his release from prison, and without Dungy’s presence, there’s a very strong chance that Vick never makes it back into pro football, period. Dungy is a respected mind, and has almost innumerable coaching connections in the league. Any team that discussed signing Vick back in August would have been insane to not solicit Dungy’s opinion on Vick and his reformation as a person.
Knowing what we know now, no matter how Dungy tried to amend that first claim today, it still appears more likely that Buffalo did contact Dungy about Vick and, for all we know, discussed the possibility of signing him. As I’m sure you all recall, there was a vicious little Internet rumor last August that the Bills were interested in him, and it was quickly shot down not just by the team, but by local media as well. Buffalo’s interest may have only been exploratory, but at the very least, I’d be willing to bet that Buffalo placed a phone call to Dungy last August. I’d also be willing to bet that the call wasn’t placed by Dick Jauron – he had, for better or worse (and I think we now have that answer), committed to Trent Edwards at that point. If that call was made, it came from a more important office than Jauron’s.

MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/11/more-dungy-commentary-on-vick-to-buffalo-speculation/#more-8779)

justasportsfan
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I doubt it's true. Dick doesn't like athletes. He likes smart Ivy leaguers who can't play.

Mudflap1
11-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Well, when that wild August rumor was going around, apparently Dungy was indeed in Rochester during the Bills training camp. I can't think of a logical reason why Tony Dungy would be in Rochester when Vick was openly looking for a team. So obviously there was at least a conversation. That is where all of this information is coming from. And, taking it a step further, the conclusion was probably made that the Bills were better off going with Trent for this season. That's why Dungy thinks the Bills could be a landing spot, since Trent is not working out. Doesn't mean the Bills will go for it. Especially since Vick hasn't shown much this season. Granted, he is not playing in an offense that completely suits him, but he looks like a guy that has been out of the NFL for two whole years.

Jan Reimers
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Vick is a mediocre QB - a guy who could never throw accurately and now, approaching 30, doesn't run as well, either - and a terrible human being. There is no way I can accept his wanton, heartless slaughter of dogs.

If we sign him, I will turn in my 50 year fan card and find a team with some principles and a FO with a combined IQ over 2 digits.

Lexwhat
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Vick is a mediocre QB - a guy who could never throw accurately and now, approaching 30, doesn't run as well, either - and a terrible human being. There is no way I can accept his wanton, heartless slaughter of dogs.

If we sign him, I will turn in my 50 year fan card and find a team with some principles and a FO with a combined IQ over 2 digits.

To get technical:

Even without Michael Vick, I don't think our FO escapes this classification.

sdbillsfan2
11-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Why would we want him ? He's currently listed as #3 on the eagles QB list. #3 gets zero or very little of the practice reps! He's been with the eagles for about 10 weeks and he still sits at number 3? Eagles fans are split on McNabb but i never hear any of them shouting for Vick! Let's get real, regardless of what anyone says , his value as a pro qb in the NFL has dropped to bench warmer .
I'm with JanR, If the Bills ever signed Vick, I'd have to look elsewhere because I've had enough of all these fill the seat signings. How about we fill the seats because we are a winning team ?

trapezeus
11-12-2009, 03:05 PM
it's confusing as to why he signed with the eagles in the first place. was kevin kolb underperforming prior and then responded to the competition that vick represented? So the eagles just got stuck with 3 QB's?

I think if vick comes, he isn't coming for a long haul stay like bledsoe was billed as. he's coming for one year to let us ride another season with piss poor line play, to keep jauron in house one more year, and of course sell some tickets and jerseys.

so in many ways I'm torn. vick coming here with the current leadership means that its more of the same old. patchwork coaches pretending to have a clue as to how to fix the situation and then run the talent into the ground.

On the other hand, I think i want Vick here next year as i think he's the only guy who can survive a line like ours. i'm no draft expert, but i don't like the QB's this year. Edwards is here next year for a bargain price. That really should be good enough to get us to our prized position of 7-9. it should get us into the top 12, and hopefully by then the front office will see that gimmicks don't work and a real GM is brought in with a real plan for coach and a real plan to have on field leadership.

mchurchfie
11-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I doubt it's true. Dick doesn't like athletes. He likes smart Ivy leaguers who can't play.
Maybe Dick needs to bring Marv in to QB. He owes him one anyways.:laugh:

Demon
11-12-2009, 04:12 PM
The thing is, even if it isn't Mike Vick in Buffalo, then who? If we do change coaches and even the front office, i have an almost impossible time thinking that Trent Edwards would be even considered the guy. Would he return to compete? Sure, i don't doubt that, but even if they draft a QB in the draft and I don't care who they pick, McCoy, Bradford, Pike.... a new coach will still bring in another QB as caretaker and well, competition has never hurt anyone.

The list of QB's available is slim. Jake Delhomme and Derek Anderson will probably get cut, but who wants to even tough them? Chad Pennington and Jason Campbell will be available.... not sure either would work. Via trade we could get Brady Quinn or Matt Leinart but doubt we'd want another young QB to go with Edwards and a possible rookie QB.

The Seahawks will pick a QB and keep Hesselbeck to mature him. He's not gonna go anywhere despite some people thinking Seattle will let him go because they want to "rebuild".

The list of QB's is not very big. As Tony Dungy said and i agree with him, I do think we have some very good players at the skilled positions on offense. Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Marshawn... and projects who may turn out good in Shawn Nelson and James Hardy. If we can't land our top choice, who knows, Vick may be plan B or C on the new coaches radar.... thus it makes sense what Dungy is saying.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM

people get more upset about this "wanton slaughter of dogs" then the brutal murder of millions of unborn children every year. Now THATS heartless.

hydro
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
people get more upset about this "wanton slaughter of dogs" then the brutal murder of millions of unborn children every year. Now THATS heartless.
This could spark this thread to oblivion.

Jan Reimers
11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree. But unfortunately, abortion is legal. I wouldn't want a baby murderer at QB, either.

Joe Fo Sho
11-12-2009, 05:59 PM
BRING HIM IN!!!

realdealryan
11-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Not the same, pass. You can't trivialize the dog murders by bringing up spiritual views of abortion. The discussion of murder of an embryo of ANY mammal before it actually enters the known world is more religious and "soul"-related than the discussion of a washed-up NFL quarterback who thinks its okay to snuff the life out of established functioning mammal life and our the oldest human companions. For sport and money. Thuggin.

Once again, in 2004 I might be worried about this situation. Like 2005 Larry Johnson, he USED TO BE GOOD. Now I have no reason to even consider this psychopath - he sucks at football now.

JD
11-12-2009, 07:19 PM
As I recall, Vick is a better running back than a quarterback.. and we have two solid backs.

Typ0
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
in our division with our qb situation it would have been dumb not to inquire about Vick when he was looking for a job. Today is a whole different story. This is information I already knew.

ParanoidAndroid
11-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Mark Bulger is a better option than Mike Vick.

MassEffect218435
11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
people get more upset about this "wanton slaughter of dogs" then the brutal murder of millions of unborn children every year. Now THATS heartless.Uh oh, this could get ugly.

Typ0
11-13-2009, 10:54 AM

really, did Peyton Manning brutally murder millions of unborn children?

superbills
11-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Mark Bulger is a better option than Mike Vick.

Umm..no he isn't

doomsdayvirus
11-15-2009, 09:07 AM
vick is well past his prime, and wasn't even that good of QB to begin with. he's not worth the money, hassle, or negative PR.

BertSquirtgum
11-15-2009, 11:22 AM
vick go home. don't want you here.