I can NOT believe I am saying this on a Bills game day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

I can NOT believe I am saying this on a Bills game day.

I have been a Bills fan since the early 1960s. My first live Bills game was in 1964 when we beat the Houston Oilers at the Rockpile.

Jan Reimers, the Historian, and several other long time Bills fans have suffered through, and endured, many, many, many, many BAD years of BAD Bils fiootball.

Today, I actually had a sort of catharsis. I missed the beginning of a Bills game to go out to lunch with my wife, son, and his girlfriend. It was nice. I came home and turned on the game, and saw a Tenn TD. I did some work outside, came inside, and looked at the game....another Tenn TD.

I am a hard core Bills fan, and have seen the best and worst (more worst than best) that this team has to offer, but at 54 years old, have finally become NUMB to this team. I never thought that I would actually say that, since I have LIVED and DIED by this team since I was 6 years old.

I still hate the Bills haters that post on this board...the wet behind the years 20 year olds who don't have a CLUE about the Bills history and have no emotional investment in this team.

I have invested a lot of emotional energy in this team, and frankly, to quote Danny Glover from the "Lethal Weapon" series.....

"I'm getting too old for this s**t"
  • Ground Chuck
    • Jul 2009

Re: I can NOT believe I am saying this on a Bills game day.

My first game was Bills Jets in the rockpile in the late 60's.

I've had enough.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Sounds like Ralph Wilson got the best of you.

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
      I have been a Bills fan since the early 1960s. My first live Bills game was in 1964 when we beat the Houston Oilers at the Rockpile.

Jan Reimers, the Historian, and several other long time Bills fans have suffered through, and endured, many, many, many, many BAD years of BAD Bils fiootball.

Today, I actually had a sort of catharsis. I missed the beginning of a Bills game to go out to lunch with my wife, son, and his girlfriend. It was nice. I came home and turned on the game, and saw a Tenn TD. I did some work outside, came inside, and looked at the game....another Tenn TD.

I am a hard core Bills fan, and have seen the best and worst (more worst than best) that this team has to offer, but at 54 years old, have finally become NUMB to this team. I never thought that I would actually say that, since I have LIVED and DIED by this team since I was 6 years old.

I still hate the Bills haters that post on this board...the wet behind the years 20 year olds who don't have a CLUE about the Bills history and have no emotional investment in this team.

I have invested a lot of emotional energy in this team, and frankly, to quote Danny Glover from the "Lethal Weapon" series.....

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

40 years for me...I took the dogs for a walk when it was still tied at 17.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

I fell asleep in the third quarter. Watching this team is like watching a movie you know the end to. You know they are going to blow it. The only suprise is the new way of blowing it they seem to come up with each week.

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

This is easily the worst bills football team i've seen since 85 (and my memory of that team might be colored but i seem to think this team is worse). I liked the AVP/Johnson/whathisname QBed 3-13 mess at the start of the decade more then this one. at least that team tried to play football. and gave 100% on every down.
            Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ground Chuck
              • Jul 2009

Even the bad teams of the late 60's and mid 70's looked like they care and that they were trying.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

There's more important things in life besides football.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

The difference is this team has some individual talent on it....sort of like 1971.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                    This is easily the worst bills football team i've seen since 85 (and my memory of that team might be colored but i seem to think this team is worse). I liked the AVP/Johnson/whathisname QBed 3-13 mess at the start of the decade more then this one. at least that team tried to play football. and gave 100% on every down.
                    The mid-80s teams were lovable losers. At least then it was a cyclical valley.

Now, the hopelessness is endless.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• T-Long
                      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                      • Sep 2003

Fan since 1989 at the ripe old age of 7, and I've seen ENOUGH. I can only imagine watching this team for that long and having them be this bad.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Notice how I stopped writing my post game comments this season? During the opener against the Patriots i was thinking about my article the whole time. Then we choked and I went numb. I didn't even get mad, but I just couldn't spend any more time or energy on this team.

Since that day, I've still watched every single play. But I no longer get excited when something good happens because I know we'll blow it. I no longer get mad when something bad happens because I expect it.

This team has sapped all the fun out of watching football. Unfortunately, I have yet to take the next step where I can stop caring enough to not watch the games. Directv better hope the Bills do something drastic this off-season, otherwise I won't be renewing Sunday Ticket.
                        Last edited by OpIv37; 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

I hear ya, Tom. Since 1969 they have had all kinds of talented players, and the end result is always the same old same old. All I can do in my old age is laugh. I refuse to let them get the best of me, like they do to themselves.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

i have to say. it's funny to watch the bills. me and my friends can call a play and the bills' defense has no clue. ie: when vince young ran up the middle one play. we don't even yell at the tv anymore. we just laugh at how pathetic it is. it looks like a bunch of high school football players out there. poz sucks.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

I hear you, Mad.

I'm just a few years younger and started going to the games in the mid 60's. I remember 1968,1971 and the mid 1980's.

I came home from church with the family and started raking leaves. I missed the first few plays but did a rewind on the DVR.

Now I may just record all the games and fast forward thru them, just to not waste my day.

When Ralph and the brain trust (snicker) at OBD start giving a damn, so will I. That's why I pitched my tickets last year.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X