PDA

View Full Version : Take Gruden off your list...

MassEffect218435
11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Just signed a multi-year deal with ESPN.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-11-16-jon-gruden-espn-contract_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
good i did not want him anyway

we need a killer like cower (SP) but will prob get Melvin Poindexter

Pinkerton Security
11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
i dont know if that necessarily means anything, I wouldnt doubt he has some clause built in that if a job he wants happens to arise, he can void the remainder of his contract with ESPN or something like that

trapezeus
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
hmmm. no details on the contract, but i wonder if he breaks it to go into coaching if ESPN doesn't have to pay him. if that's the case, some one could make him an offer he can't refuse.

but he must realize that being in the booth on monday night is much easier. he still is involved, his analysis, in my opinion, is very good and thoughtful. he shows that he watches the teams prior to the games and knows players pretty well. I like him in the booth. And he's kind of funny in a jock kinda way.

Plus he could find himself with a madden type game once madden passes away which means super big bucks. and he doesn't get ripped apart for bad decisions. It's not a bad life.

MassEffect218435
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
hmmm. no details on the contract, but i wonder if he breaks it to go into coaching if ESPN doesn't have to pay him. if that's the case, some one could make him an offer he can't refuse.

but he must realize that being in the booth on monday night is much easier. he still is involved, his analysis, in my opinion, is very good and thoughtful. he shows that he watches the teams prior to the games and knows players pretty well. I like him in the booth. And he's kind of funny in a jock kinda way.

Plus he could find himself with a madden type game once madden passes away which means super big bucks. and he doesn't get ripped apart for bad decisions. It's not a bad life.I'd take the booth over coaching.

Jaybird
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
i dont know if that necessarily means anything, I wouldnt doubt he has some clause built in that if a job he wants happens to arise, he can void the remainder of his contract with ESPN or something like that

He for sure has an out clause. It might also be a move that could help him with financial negotiations

HHURRICANE
11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Perry Fewell is still available so what are we talking about here?

Historian
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Gruden's got nothing left to prove.

Why would anyone leave a cushy booth job for this mess?

MassEffect218435
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Why would anyone leave a cushy booth job for this mess?Exactly.

DraftBoy
11-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd take the booth over coaching.

Id take a FO Consulting job over both.

THATHURMANATOR
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM

Why would anyone leave a cushy booth job for this mess?
More money. It makes the world go round...

MassEffect218435
11-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Id take a FO Consulting job over both.Well yeah, but if it came down to coaching or the booth. I'd take the booth; though, I might take Scouting Director over all of them.

Forward_Lateral
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
He's Notre Dame's next head coach when they fire the slob Weiss.

DraftBoy
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Well yeah, but if it came down to coaching or the booth. I'd take the booth; though, I might take Scouting Director over all of them.
Id take Director of Scouting job over any other job in the NFL.

DraftBoy
11-16-2009, 11:53 AM
He's Notre Dame's next head coach when they fire the slob Weiss.

We'll see, right now Brian Kelly is the leading candidate being thrown around, with Jim Harbaugh's name being thrown around.

Notre Dame is going to make a run at a big name coach no doubt about it. They can afford any buy out any coach in the country has as they have a multi-BILLION dollar endowment fund. And no Im not kidding about that.

Forward_Lateral
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see the Bills make a run at Harbaugh.

Nighthawk
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
This means nothing...if he gets offered a HC job and is offered the right amount of money, he'll be on a sideline on Sundays next year.

trapezeus
11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
This means nothing...if he gets offered a HC job and is offered the right amount of money, he'll be on a sideline on Sundays next year.

exactly right, but also exactly why we can take him off the Bills list because no way are we going to entice him with a contract to go from fun easy booth job to rewarding all access coaching job. he'll get a stupid offer and then be handcuffed with poor drafts and no ability to sign anyone when most of the team goes down with injuries.

Nighthawk
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
exactly right, but also exactly why we can take him off the Bills list because no way are we going to entice him with a contract to go from fun easy booth job to rewarding all access coaching job. he'll get a stupid offer and then be handcuffed with poor drafts and no ability to sign anyone when most of the team goes down with injuries.

I hear ya, but the way Vic Carucci is talking, he sees a big name coming here to clean up this mess. He's mentioned a couple of times and I heard him on the radio after the game yesterday say that he's talked to many people who are connected with the Bills in the NFL and they have told him that the Bills will be hiring a legit football man to fix the mess and that Ralph knows he has to do it or the fans will go nuts.

bigbub2352
11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Gruden has to have an out clause, im sure if the right situation and $$$ came his way he would be back on the sideline
Not happening here im sure i mentioned $$

Dr. Lecter
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I hear ya, but the way Vic Carucci is talking, he sees a big name coming here to clean up this mess. He's mentioned a couple of times and I heard him on the radio after the game yesterday say that he's talked to many people who are connected with the Bills in the NFL and they have told him that the Bills will be hiring a legit football man to fix the mess and that Ralph knows he has to do it or the fans will go nuts.

For some reason, I really think Ralph is going to go nuts to get Dungy here.

Demon
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Contracts are made to be broken. Most contracts that reporters such as Gruden sign to, have clauses what would allow them to leave. For example, Gruden couldn't get out of his deal to say, work for fox sports or cbs on Sunday's but if the NFL called, he could walk up and leave. ESPN signing him to a long term deal just secures ESPN that if Gruden stays in the booth, he would remain at ESPN.

His name will get thrown around the NFL teams and he may even be coaching next season.

tampabay25690
11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I dont know if any of you know this but GRUDEN is not even getting paid at ESPN or he loses his $5 million a year still owed for TAMPA......

He is working for ESPN for FREE but getting paid some millions from TB...

Nighthawk
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
For some reason, I really think Ralph is going to go nuts to get Dungy here.

I know I may be in the minority here, but I don't really want Dungy. A lot of his success was Manning...just look how well Caldwell is doing this year. I don't think Dungy is the kind of coach that the fans would want...he very rarely shows emotion...just like Jauron. IMO, I'd like to see Shanahan or Holmgren here to turn around this mess. Plus, he's a defensive coach...I think it's time to get a bright offensive minded HC in here and get this offense turned around.

MassEffect218435
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Mort says he doesn't think that Gruden will coach until he is 50.

Philagape
11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
he very rarely shows emotion...just like Jauron.

The only difference between them is Dungy isn't a spineless black hole of darkness and incompetence who has the sideline presence and decision-making ability of a goat on Xanax. But that's it.