PDA

View Full Version : I don't like the Devils

chubluv
05-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Well i might not like them, but they do play one heck of a defensive hockey game. Only giving up 32 shots and no goals in two games is amazing. Although IMO this type of hockey is boring and should be outlawed. This is not going to make people in other cities other then the two competing watch. This is what is wrong with the NHL and they need to fix it, or they will start to loose what ever fan base they have.

The trap should be :banned:

Dozerdog
05-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Agreed.

They could make Bob Essensa look good with 32 shots in 2 games.

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 06:03 AM
The NHL could start to improve the game by pushing the nets back toward the back boards...open up the neutral zone with the few extra feet.

Turf
05-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Reinstitute delayed offside.

Rude American
05-30-2003, 07:49 AM
You guys don't know squat. Trap hockey ISN'T boring. It's the way it's presented. ESPN's coverage and pregame and all that is so cheesy. Plus, ANY game would be boring with Gary thorne calling it. He's a monotone corpse and there's hardly any background noise. Turn the channel over to CBC. Bob Cole makes the game so much more exciting with his enthusiasm, and the way CBC mic's the crowd it makes you feel like you're there.

Any hockey game is a good hockey game when it's on CBC.

Afterthoughts: I do like John Saunders and Melrose though. They work well together. But there's just no comparing to Ron McLean and Grapes in the first intermission. Another thing ESPN has to do is get rid of clowns like Pang. He's awful. The best interviewers are on... you guessed it, CBC. Scott Russell and Scott Oake take the cake. All those little thnigs add up to what appears to be a boring night of hockey on ESPN. ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan ROCKS though!

Rude American
05-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Reinstitute delayed offside.

yes to this

Rude American
05-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
The NHL could start to improve the game by pushing the nets back toward the back boards...open up the neutral zone with the few extra feet.

mmmmaybe. I don't think that will solve the "perceived" problems of the trap though. The only thing that will do that is full fledged forechecking.

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Rude American

mmmmaybe. I don't think that will solve the "perceived" problems of the trap though. The only thing that will do that is full fledged forechecking.

While I agree, don't you think it would give more room for guys to move around in the neutral zone and remove some of the game from behind the net...too much of the game is spent behind the net...Just because Gretzky could play back there doesn't mean the rest of the league can...the trap may be boring but watching guys try to kick the puck out of other peoples skates for 30 seconds at a time behind the net is gut wrenching.

Rude American
05-30-2003, 09:02 AM
look back 10 years ago... they used to blow it dead every time there was a fight for it in the corner or along the boards. Guys would trap it with their skates and get a wistle on purpose. Now at least they MAKE them move it. 2 or 3 feet between the two goale lines won't change the dynamincs of the game so appreciably that the trap game is rendered obsolete, IMO. In fact, it may even slow the game down, with teams like Detroit that keep cycling back with these drop passes in the neutral zone when the don't get the opeing they want. The Ducks/Wings series was TERRIBLY boring. No hitting, no dump and chase, etc. Let's face it, the trap is here to stay and there isn't a whole lot that can be done to change the way it's perceived.

SkateZilla
05-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Trap Hockey isnt Boring.

New Jersey is Just to Good at Playing Trap.
The Norfolk Admirals (AHL) PLayed trap ON Defense and Dump n Chase for Offense all Year lol.. then agian they won more Road Trips then Home Games..... and had a lot of 3 to 0 leads blown in the 3rd period to lose in overtime.

Ð
05-30-2003, 02:45 PM
If the Devils are so boring, then theoretically the score should wind up 0-0. I don't go for the argument that defense = boring.

chubluv
05-30-2003, 05:58 PM
ok then if some of you think the trap is not boring, tell me why the average joe would want to watch it ? I've been a hockey fan my entire life. I even like it more then football, and thats hard to do in this town. These past few years have been boring for me to watch (both live & on TV). I'm not just talking about the Sabres, but the whole darn NHL.