PDA

View Full Version : Identifying the core of the Buffalo Bills’ roster

patmoran2006
11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
This is an excellent piece by Brian Galliford, the first of a three-part series looking into finding the core of the Bills roster. It's not long, and really worth the read.

This post is the first of a three-part series in which we’ll attempt to segment the Bills’ roster up to accurately pinpoint where change is not only most-needed, but most likely. Up first for discussion: those Bills players who are likely to be in Buffalo far longer than many of their teammates. After the jump, you’ll find three groups of these players, as well as your task for the comments section. Here’s hoping you find the discussion therapeutic.

MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/11/identifying-the-core-of-the-buffalo-bills-roster/)

HHURRICANE
11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry Pat but their is no core. This team needs to be stripped down to the bones. We barely could find 3 players in a thread yesterday. Read again. 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you can't find 3 guys to bring with you than it's over.

HHURRICANE
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Kawaki Mitchell should be cut so i don't know how he is a core player.

Jan Reimers
11-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Kawaki Mitchell should be cut so i don't know how he is a core player.
He's one that really stuck out to me, too, HH. He is one of the poorest tacklers I have ever seen, and living proof that even SB winners are weak at some positions.

The other players are decent starters, backups, or unknowns at this point.

trapezeus
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
in my article for Wednesday, I point out that Poz sucked it this game and for most of the season, but he's part of the puzzle. they just need to get a real superstar LB that can do it all to be paired with him. I make the connection that Conlan wasn't a superstar and benefitted greatly from having bennett. I'd rather part with Kawika and keep Poz for my core.

The rest of it I agreed with.

bigbub2352
11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
He's one that really stuck out to me, too, HH. He is one of the poorest tacklers I have ever seen, and living proof that even SB winners are weak at some positions.

The other players are decent starters, backups, ot unknowns at this point.

Mitchell joins the long line of overpaid overrated players that dont fit the scheme they are trying to run here
Mitchell is a MLB by trade and played one year of outside LBer at NYG
he was brought here to play OLB but is slow and terrible in coverage.... what does the Cover 2 call for.... A fast undersized LBer that is good in coverage

then u add Poz a stout penetrating OLB in college solid against the run and blitzing the QB and he was drafted here to play MLB in the Cover 2 and asked to Cover out of the backfeild

HMMM look at this analyze and do the math, u cant have ur LBers first step backwards looking to cover then trying to penetrate and react hence all the tackles behind the line

We need big physical LBers to play a real scheme
right now we got alot of guys playing out of natural positions and playing in schemes they dont fit in
New Regime i would cut Mitchell and get someone else and move Poz to the outside
and cut Ellison

Mr. Pink
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I glanced over the names and all I gotta say is wow do you suck when....

Kawika Mitchell is a core player.

I actually stopped reading at that point because the article doesn't have much credibility when you name one of the liabilities a core player.

EDS
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Mitchell is one of the core players on the "cut" list, but not much else.

Weak effort by that article and website.

kernowboy
11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
It has to be hoped that the new coaching staff will be given as free a hand as Wilson's wallet allows to be completely radical in the makeover.

More than an element of luck will be involved, but the fans must accept even decisions which might prove unpopular.

Take for example Mashawn Lynch. Yes he is a pro-bowler, but a coach like Shanahan has proven you can find gems lower in the draft. Trading Lynch to the Seahawks for a R1 (Denver's pick) will allow the new regime draft flexibility.

We need a complete overhaul on both sides of the ball. If the Lynch trade occured we would have 9 (maybe 10 picks depending on Ko Simpson) and we need to make everyone count.

Some positional changes might get made - swapping Wood and Hangartner would be a start. I struggle to understand all the injuries - do we need better conditioning coaches?

If we were to swap to a 3-4 then we would be looking for a DE and a ILB but I think we could find potential starters between R2-R4. I think we can pick up a decent RB to replace Lynch and work with Jackson at least on Day2 and maybe even on Day3.

We can use R1 picks on the two key needs - LT and QB.