PDA

View Full Version : People are missing a key part of today's developments...

BILLSROCK1212
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Russ Brandon didn't make the decision to fire Jauron, Ralph Wilson did. That speaks volumes for our front office.

Michael82
11-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I bet that Modrak and Guy weren't asked for their opinions too.

Mudflap1
11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
True, but Pat is suggesting Ralph talked to many players and people in the organization for input.

I am expecting nothing less than Modrak and Guy to be fired, and Brandon to either be replaced, or moved to the business side only with a REAL personnel guy brought in.

Historian
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
WILSON: "Hey Russ...I just wanted to let you know...I fired Dick today."

BRANDON: "Ralph...what would you think about going to the throwbacks full time?"

Demon
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Russ Brandon didn't make the decision to fire Jauron, Ralph Wilson did. That speaks volumes for our front office.

I was about to post a similar thread but didn't know where to place it. But you posted first so i'll just post here because i completly agree with you. There is NO press conference. There is no statment even from the BILLS front office. Ralph Wilson has send out a statement with only him commenting on this move. Everything else is mum.

Just last Friday, the Bills front office (i think Russ) told Adam Schafter that there is NO WAY they will make any changes at coach mid-season. Less then a week later, it's happened.

Not sure how other teams do it when they fire guys mid-season but this seems very weird. I think Ralph will make MAJOR changes at front office and i think that's where the comment from Jason La Conftra came from about "young" and "cheap".... Ralph will use $$$ to re-build his front office. And NONE of those top tier coaches will even consider coming to coach under a GM who has all the power.

Mudflap1
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I was about to post a similar thread but didn't know where to place it. But you posted first so i'll just post here because i completly agree with you. There is NO press conference. There is no statment even from the BILLS front office. Ralph Wilson has send out a statement with only him commenting on this move. Everything else is mum.

Just last Friday, the Bills front office (i think Russ) told Adam Schafter that there is NO WAY they will make any changes at coach mid-season. Less then a week later, it's happened.

Not sure how other teams do it when they fire guys mid-season but this seems very weird. I think Ralph will make MAJOR changes at front office and i think that's where the comment from Jason La Conftra came from about "young" and "cheap".... Ralph will use $$$ to re-build his front office. And NONE of those top tier coaches will even consider coming to coach under a GM who has all the power.

If the personnel/GM guy is top notch, I am even OK with this approach. There are good assistants out there, but they need real draft picks and free agents to work with.

BILLSROCK1212
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM

So who would this GM be, Ernie Accorsi, Charley Casserly?? I can't think of many other people who could be hired that would get that much power and scare people away, Holmgren or Marty would certainly not scare people away.

Demon
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
So who would this GM be, Ernie Accorsi, Charley Casserly?? I can't think of many other people who could be hired that would get that much power and scare people away, Holmgren or Marty would certainly not scare people away.

I still think Bill Polian will make a crazy comeback.

It doesn't have to be a big name. Even a guy like Bruce Allen. The coaches, like Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden... want ALL of the power. I don't think Ralph is still confident he can give one guy all the power and that's why i think he'll hire someone he knows (Polian) or a guy like Allen, and keep Russ Brandon at some demoted role/marketing and get a cheap/young head coach who will be allowed to put input to decison making with the GM. If the GM hires the coach, they must be agreeing on something.

I wouldn't also mind seeing Bills hire Marty or even Jaworski like Mike Catolina suggested in his article few weeks ago in some type of advisory role, and thus again keeping all the power away from one guy.

ps. My guess for coach is Marty's son Brian Schottenheimer.

trapezeus
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
polian isn't coming back here. I've been told that Bill Polian is ready to step aside after this uncapped year/CBA gets worked out. Then he's retiring and his son who is a part of the colts will step into the GM spot there. Polian just wants to make sure everything is set up right through a new CBA.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have him back, but i don't think Ralph would take him back.

Buddo
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I still think Bill Polian will make a crazy comeback.

It doesn't have to be a big name. Even a guy like Bruce Allen. The coaches, like Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden... want ALL of the power. I don't think Ralph is still confident he can give one guy all the power and that's why i think he'll hire someone he knows (Polian) or a guy like Allen, and keep Russ Brandon at some demoted role/marketing and get a cheap/young head coach who will be allowed to put input to decison making with the GM. If the GM hires the coach, they must be agreeing on something.

I wouldn't also mind seeing Bills hire Marty or even Jaworski like Mike Catolina suggested in his article few weeks ago in some type of advisory role, and thus again keeping all the power away from one guy.

ps. My guess for coach is Marty's son Brian Schottenheimer.

I don't htink actually, that all the coaches want all the power. Cowher may well do, Shanahan also. As to the others, I wouldn't be so sure. I've actually heard Holmgren say that being a GM/HC isn't as hard as people may think, providing you have the right staff around you. Undeer those circumstances, Brandon could certainly keep his gig.
One of the things that still can make the Bills an attractive proposition for a HC, is the simple fact that Ralph doesn't interfere with the coaching side of things, providing he's kept up to speed with what is going on, probably on a daily basis. But that is it really. Levy never had any problems in that respect, and I think Jauron also knew that particular score, and it may well be a reason why he lasted as long as he did.
HC realistically, only need to know that they can work openly, with whoever the GM is.
What I will say, is that whatever route they do take, the Bills need to have the GM, of whatever flavour he will be, in place before the new HC is appointed. That may mean a HC/GM in one, but whoever it is, it wants to be in place before you actually appoint the HC.

Griff
11-17-2009, 04:21 PM
if we brought back Polian, begged Cowher, Holmgren or Schottenheimer, we might have a chance in the future.