PDA

View Full Version : Another good thing about this firing

OpIv37
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Ralph FINALLY made a football decision that will hurt the bottom line.

Jauron is due $3 million over each of the next two seasons. The cheapest head coach in the NFL makes about $2.5 million a year. No matter how you do the math, Ralph will be a minimum of $2.5m in the hole, and he knows it.

It's good to see that for once, he put football ahead of his own wallet. I hope the trend continues.

billsburgh
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
maybe he plans on pulling an Al Davis and not paying Jauron like Davis is doing to Lane Kiffin.

superbills
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Some will spin this fact to say that since Ralph still has to pay Jauron, we'll end up with scraps since he won't shell out big dough for a big-time coach. I don't think that's how it plays out. Ralph doesn't make this move and swallow millions of dollars without realizing that, if he doesn't put coaching talent ahead of the bottom line he may very well end up having to eat another contract in 3 years.

No, I think Ralph is seeing the writing on the wall. He's not getting any younger and if he wants to win, he's going to have to pony-up the dough.

T-Long
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Jauron should tell him to keep his money, he hasn't earned a single dime of it. It will never happen, but boy would he leave with some respect. That money could be used to bring in a top tier coach, that's the LEAST he can do for us who have sat through this mess the past 4 seasons.

Mudflap1
11-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Jauron should tell him to keep his money, he hasn't earned a single dime of it. It will never happen, but boy would he leave with some respect. That money could be used to bring in a top tier coach, that's the LEAST he can do for us who have sat through this mess the past 4 seasons.

EDIT: past 10 seasons

T-Long
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
EDIT: past 10 seasons
Well, I was referring to when Jauron was here...but you're right.

YardRat
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Jeff Littman is probably throwing a hissy-fit as we speak.

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2009, 01:02 AM
he might really want to win a super bowl before he dies. he is half way to showing me really wants to win.

mybills
11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Is it that Ralph won't pay/is cheap, or is it because there's only so much money to go around in such a small market?

Jan Reimers
11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Is it that Ralph won't pay/is cheap, or is it because there's only so much money to go around in such a small market?
The Bills are in the top half of the league in net revenue. The small market thing is just one of Ralph's ploys to make the Bills seem like one of the NFL's poor cousins.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
While I agree Op, he made the smarter choice with his wallet. If he kept Jauron around, how much was he going to lose in ticket sales?

mybills
11-18-2009, 08:11 AM
The Bills are in the top half of the league in net revenue. The small market thing is just one of Ralph's ploys to make the Bills seem like one of the NFL's poor cousins.
Well, they were discussing this on NFLN yesterday, and they all made the point about how small markets don't usually have the money to pay big names like Shannahan and the like. It kind of makes sense that Jauron accepted the cheap pay, because he wasn't really a "big" name with 1 winning season. I'm guessing that the "big" names they're talking about are those with more than 1 winning season. :idunno:

OpIv37
11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
While I agree Op, he made the smarter choice with his wallet. If he kept Jauron around, how much was he going to lose in ticket sales?
Good question. He didn't lose any this year thanks to the TO signing. Next year, it would haven been more difficult to dupe the fans.

ParanoidAndroid
11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
This re-excites a waning fan base which has everything to do with revenue. The real test is yet to come. Will he bring in the real deal or will he go for the bargain again?

capitolneal
11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
maybe he plans on pulling an Al Davis and not paying Jauron like Davis is doing to Lane Kiffin.
he has already done that with Wade Phillips