PDA

View Full Version : The Realist Thread....

OpIv37
11-17-2009, 05:57 PM
The team is 12-4-1, but they started hot last year too before collapsing.

We have no backup goaltending, and Miller has to get through the Olympics, which will hurt.

And last year, all it took was one or two injuries (Vanek and Miller) down the stretch to knock us out of the playoffs.

Be careful, because this script looks an awful lot like a rerun.

Philagape
11-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll type what I typed two years ago:

It means nothing until the playoffs.

Until they get back to where they were before Black Sunday, it's just fun and games.

DMBcrew36
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd say I'm a realist. I'm excited to see the added grit this year and greater accountability, but I also know it's a long season, especially with the Olympics. The Sabres will likely go through some tough stretches, just like any team, but again, it's a long year. If the Sabres could get Biron or another reliable backup, I would feel much better about this team.

OpIv37
11-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I see some key differences this year, notably more grit and some depth on the front line. But I see some of the same issues as well, notably goalie depth and inconsistent top scorers (Vanek, Poms, Roy).

We're only through 20% of the season. Early returns are good, but I'm not getting too excited until they prove they can maintain this pace.

Tiburon1724
11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I worry about the backup goalie situation too...it'll cost us.

Ground Chuck
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Our defense is miles ahead of where it has been for the last few years.

Dr. Lecter
11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Back-up goalie concerns me, but Lalime plays better when he plays more often. And if it were longterm, Enroth would be up.

But one big, indisputable difference is that the team is much tougher.

DrGraves
11-18-2009, 01:37 AM
well im usually with you oP iv.. (what is an op iv?) but this time your'e wrong.... miller is the greatest goalie on the planet. he is going to stand on his head and lead the us to a gold medal and the sabres to a cup..... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

chernobylwraiths
11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Back-up goalie concerns me, but Lalime plays better when he plays more often. And if it were longterm, Enroth would be up.

But one big, indisputable difference is that the team is much tougher.

If Ruff continues to play Lalime once every ten games, we will get **** out of the position yet again. It's a catch 22, Lalime won't play better unless he gets more games to be comfortable and Ruff won't play him unless he is better. Maybe, instead of playing Lalime on the second night of back to back games, he should play him after the team has had a few days to rest. That way the defense can be fully rested to help him out. It isn't our backup goaltending that has always been crap, it has been Ruff's use of them. Dwayne Roloson and Ty Conklin left here as crap goaltenders and have gone on to play well when given the opportunity elsewhere.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 06:40 AM
It's not quite the same team, but I see your points.

You mentioned the grit and toughness and those points are huge. There were points last year and even the year before where a two goal lead in the 3rd wasn't safe because they would fall apart. This year, they are holding on to those leads and finishing off the other team.

Like in NJ, they held a 2-0 and 2-1 lead for almost the entire game. When the minutes were winding down, instead of letting up that goal to the Devils, they finished them off. Or against Phoenix when they were down 1-0 in the third, they came back and won it instead of folding. Or against Nashville. Or even the other night in Philly, they give up the shorthanded goal and only hold a 3-2 lead. In years past they would've ended up losing that game, but they didn't now.

Those things really stand out to me.

OpIv37
11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
well im usually with you oP iv.. (what is an op iv?) but this time your'e wrong.... miller is the greatest goalie on the planet. he is going to stand on his head and lead the us to a gold medal and the sabres to a cup..... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
I've beeb using the name since high school. The first part is taken from the punk band Operation Ivy. The number is a reference to the movie Clerks.

BlackMetalNinja
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM

You mentioned the grit and toughness and those points are huge. There were points last year and even the year before where a two goal lead in the 3rd wasn't safe because they would fall apart. This year, they are holding on to those leads and finishing off the other team.

Like in NJ, they held a 2-0 and 2-1 lead for almost the entire game. When the minutes were winding down, instead of letting up that goal to the Devils, they finished them off. Or against Phoenix when they were down 1-0 in the third, they came back and won it instead of folding. Or against Nashville. Or even the other night in Philly, they give up the shorthanded goal and only hold a 3-2 lead. In years past they would've ended up losing that game, but they didn't now.

Those things really stand out to me.That's probably what makes me the happiest about this season so far. That and the fact that we are getting scoring across the board instead of heavily relying on 1-2 guys. By far my biggest concern is Miller of course. He's playing incredibly well, but we're heading right down the same path we've dealt with the past couple of years... and it's going to be magnified with the Olympics this year too.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
The goaltending situation is an absolute issue.

I don't like when Miller is playing in back-to-backs and while I'm happy Miller is playing for Team USA, it worries me in terms of the Sabres.

They need to fix it quickly. Either Lalime is the guy or get someone better suited for the job. They can't be running Miller out there for 3 games in 4 nights.

rbochan
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
My biggest concerns are a competent backup goalie and Miroslav Vanek.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
We need a backup goalie for sure.

Lalime blows and Enroth has dissapointed. He is not ready yet for the NHL.

DMBcrew36
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
We need a backup goalie for sure.

Lalime blows and Enroth has dissapointed. He is not ready yet for the NHL.

I haven't been that disappointed with Enroth. I thought he played fine when he was up. The team in front of him was absolute ****. His Portland team isn't playing well in front of him either.

That said, he still needs another couple seasons in Portland before he's ready to backup Miller.

jamze132
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
(what is an op iv?)

He once sucked 37 ****s while listening to Operation Ivy...

Very talented.

trapezeus
11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
backup goaltending is so worrisome. if the whole hasek scenario plays out again with miller winning a gold but too tired to win the whole thing here, i may very well kill myself.

Lalime's issue is that the sabres put himout there for weak opponents. we shouldn't have to play impeccable hockey against the worst teams with him in there, but if we don't we lose. So lalime is definitely a liability. I think in someways you have to build lalime's confidence by letting him play 3 games in a row. Let him get comfortable out there and then go back to a rested Miller.

if lalime can't win in an extended start, then they hvae to pull the trigger on biron or anyone else. because enroth seems a bit green to be an NHL goalie.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
They are going to have to figure something out very soon. The schedule is busy now but it will get much worse in December. Either Lalime gets his **** together or they find someone.

jamze132
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
backup goaltending is so worrisome. if the whole hasek scenario plays out again with miller winning a gold but too tired to win the whole thing here, i may very well kill myself.

Lalime's issue is that the sabres put himout there for weak opponents. we shouldn't have to play impeccable hockey against the worst teams with him in there, but if we don't we lose. So lalime is definitely a liability. I think in someways you have to build lalime's confidence by letting him play 3 games in a row. Let him get comfortable out there and then go back to a rested Miller.

if lalime can't win in an extended start, then they hvae to pull the trigger on biron or anyone else. because enroth seems a bit green to be an NHL goalie.
I understand what you are saying but I would rather keep the status quo right now as it is successful. Who know's what would happen to Miller if he came back from sitting 3 games in a row. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. And when it is broke, deal with it then.

Now believe me, I am a huge believer in preventative maintenance, but when you have to remove an engine from a car to ensure it will run smooth later on down the line, you risk that engine not running as smooth as before you ****ed with it. Leave it alone until it's broke, keeping driving it!

OpIv37
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM

Those things really stand out to me.

I hear you on that, but there are also games like the Tampa Bay game, where we gave up a goal late that forced overtime, and hence ceded a free point to a bottom-feeding team. We eventually won and got our 2, but not before giving up a bonus point. It was this type of game that killed us last year, particularly late in the season.

Hopefully there will be a lot more games like the ones you described than the one I just described, but we shall see.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I hear you on that, but there are also games like the Tampa Bay game, where we gave up a goal late that forced overtime, and hence ceded a free point to a bottom-feeding team. We eventually won and got our 2, but not before giving up a bonus point. It was this type of game that killed us last year, particularly late in the season.

Hopefully there will be a lot more games like the ones you described than the one I just described, but we shall see.

I think you mean the Toronto game. And if so, not to make excuses, but the goal was awful fluky. It was a good deflection and I'm not sure what Miller could've done on it.

trapezeus
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
true jamze....perhaps we can run miller into the ground, have him too tired to be the US's starting goalie, live for a couple weeks with lalime and then take a well rested Miller to the playoffs with zero nights off. Perhaps that;s whawt the hockey gods have in store for us.

SkateZilla
11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
The team is 12-4-1, but they started hot last year too before collapsing.

We have no backup goaltending, and Miller has to get through the Olympics, which will hurt.

And last year, all it took was one or two injuries (Vanek and Miller) down the stretch to knock us out of the playoffs.

Be careful, because this script looks an awful lot like a rerun.

true, but the good thing about re-runs is we get to see details we missed the first time... w00t w00t..!

JD
11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
true jamze....perhaps we can run miller into the ground, have him too tired to be the US's starting goalie, live for a couple weeks with lalime and then take a well rested Miller to the playoffs with zero nights off. Perhaps that;s whawt the hockey gods have in store for us.

Who gives a **** about the olympics?

DMBcrew36
11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Who gives a **** about the olympics?

Uhhh, a lot of people, including players and coaches.

Crisis
11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Or Miller can win an Olympic Gold, Vezina, Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe in the same year. ;)