PDA

View Full Version : Bills cut Farris, Stevenson, and Freddie Jones

BigMike68
09-02-2002, 10:56 PM
From ESPN.com..........

"The Bills pointed to the linebacker position. They picked up linebackers Maugaula Tuitele (New England) and Anthony Denman (Cleveland) and released Fred Jones and seventh-round choice Dominique Stevenson. The Bills replaced tackle Kris Farris with Mike Houghton, a sixth-round pick from the Packers. They also released linebacker Fred Jones."

Link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1426354.html

Stewie
09-02-2002, 11:00 PM
So, the Bills had no linebacker depth for 30 hours cause they cut everyone else, but these guys don't have the experience working into the system. I hope we dont need any of 'em for the first half of the season.

lordofgun
09-02-2002, 11:08 PM
These guys any good??

Tatonka
09-02-2002, 11:25 PM
yeah.. someone get some info on these new guys asap!! kthx.

Romes
09-03-2002, 04:17 AM
Its good news that even with the Bills cutting players, Irons, Burns and Rone are still on the team.

SABURZFAN
09-03-2002, 05:04 AM
i read somewhere that houghton is 6'6" and 320 pounds.i wonder if he ever thought of being a DT?

Sabre Ally
09-03-2002, 05:08 AM
LOL. I dunno, but he's played every position on the OL. That hopefully is a good thing.

Romes
09-03-2002, 06:39 AM
The Browns have 6 pretty good linebackers. Denman just happened to be the 7th best. He is a solid back up MLB. He was slated to replace Jamir Miller, when Miller went down for the season, but I guess the Browns decided to go another way. They definetley had the depth to do so. Guess what...this guy is a good special teams player a quality that TD/GW appreciate in back ups. I look forward to see what this guy can do, first on special teams, a maybe a little when Fletcher needs a rest. IMO we got a solid backup.

Just an educated guess but Houghton must be a guy that TD wanted to draft. He probably, wanted to get him in the seventh, but the pack picked him up in the 6th. He probably liked his versatility and size (something that all of TD's OL pick ups have had). I'm willing to bet this guy has more talent and skills, than Hulsey or Early do. IMO, good pick up.

The other guy, Ula Tuitile or whatever his name is. Has always been around the Patriots organization bouncing between the team and the practice squad. Not very sure what to expect from him. I never really liked Fred Jones, so atleast its someone new.

Anyway, that is my assesment of the guys we signed going by what I know, and the information I have read about them. I hope these guys can catch on to our system quick.

BigMike68
09-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Here's some more info on these guys from bb.com

"The 6-5, 315-pound Houghton (pronounced “HOW-ton”) was drafted in the sixth round of the 2002 Draft by the Green Bay Packers out of San Diego State. He was released earlier this week on the cutdown to 53.

Tuitele (pronounced “mah-gah-OO-la TOO-it-TELL-ee”) was released this week by New England, where he played in one game in 2000 and one in ’01 while going back and forth from the practice squad. He originally joined the Pats as an undrafted free agent in 2000 out of Colorado State.

Denman (5-11, 235) was claimed off waivers from the Browns, for whom he played 11 games a year ago. He was originally drafted by Jacksonville in the seventh round of the 2001 Draft out of Notre Dame but was waived and claimed by Cleveland last August."