PDA

View Full Version : How wins would it take from Fewell to make him acceptable as a HC next year?

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2009, 05:51 AM
For you to accept him as HC next year?

Let's say, in theory, the Bills have stumbled upon the next great NFL head coach. How wins would it take to convince you that the Bills should keep him as HC next year?

YardRat
11-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Poll / thread title fail.

Meathead is going to be extremely disappointed with your effort.

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Poll / thread title fail.

Meathead is going to be extremely disappointed with your effort.

It's early in the morning and I have yet to drink coffee.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:43 AM
4, if he goes over .500, Id give him next season.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
How can some people say no amount of wins? That's just dumb.

If a coach goes 7-0 with this ****ty ass roster, he deserves to be the coach here next year.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
7. Anything short of the playoffs is not a good enough reason to keep him around next season.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:46 AM
7. Anything short of the playoffs is not a good enough reason to keep him around next season.

I dont understand this.

Our team blows, we have a lack of talent at every position. No coach would make this team a playoff team right now. Your expectation, imo is unreasonable.

We have one of the worst rosters in the entire NFL.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I dont understand this.

Our team blows, we have a lack of talent at every position. No coach would make this team a playoff team right now. Your expectation, imo is unreasonable.

I know. I just don't like Fewell. I'm cranky this morning again.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:48 AM

Give the guy a chance at least. He's not dick, so right now as a Head Coach he's up 1-0. Let the guy lose the job first.

Here drink this, it will help... :coffee:

Joe Fo Sho
He's gotta beat New England.

Dr. Lecter
I dont understand this.

Every position except DB, dammit! And punter and long snapper!!!

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2009, 06:49 AM

Sand in the Vaseline again?

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Ok, ok. Let me analyze the situation and post my thoughts after I have a coffee and a morning dump.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Every position except DB, dammit! And punter and long snapper!!!

I disagree, we could improve over McGee and McKelvin still needs to prove more over next season. And we could definitely do better than Whitner.

Ok fine we are good at Punter and LS, woohoo! :party:

Jeff1220
11-18-2009, 06:52 AM

If a coach goes 7-0 with this ****ty ass roster, he deserves to be the coach here next year.

I think most people would be ecstatic if that happened, but it's just not realistic. If he did that, heck yeah he deserves a shot, but you, he, and I know that isn't going to happen.

Novacane
11-18-2009, 06:55 AM
11 wins and he can stay.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
I think most people would be ecstatic if that happened, but it's just not realistic. If he did that, heck yeah he deserves a shot, but you, he, and I know that isn't going to happen.

I dont think he has a shot in hell of going 7-0, but for people to vote no matter what amount of wins he gets, is just as illogical.

Based on this crappy ass roster if he goes 4-3, Id happily make him the permanent head coach.

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Lt, don't make me hit you with a banstick.

Ingtar33
11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
if he wins out with this mess of a football team he'll have earned the HC job next year.

hell... if he gets 5 wins with this roster (bringing us to 8-8) I'd say give him a shot. Anything else and don't bother.

Jeff1220
11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't see this team doing any better than 3-4 to close out the season, no matter who they have as an interim. The damage is done.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
No amount is acceptable because he is the interim coach. Let's be honest, for as "good" as the defense has been this year, they have never been the elite group that they need to be. It's not like the Bills just stumbled upon the next great coach. This guy has been here for almost four years and I've never once been impressed with him. This is a temporary thing until the season is over no matter what.

Jan Reimers
11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
If Fewell wins all 7, he can be Coach for Life (Ralph's life, that is).

trapezeus
11-18-2009, 08:52 AM
i don't think its a matter of how many wins. because the jets and panthers were wins, but they looked just as bad as ever in those games.

If fewell tells AVP to open up the playbook and the team actually wins a game by being disciplined with penalties, scores more than 20 points a game, and there are correct coaching calls made game day, he might have a chance.

The team is completely incompetent. He needs to make them look good. if he goes 7-0 and its all veery sloppy, he'll be out.

Furthermore, if the GM rumors are true, he really doesn't have a shot no matter what happens. No GM is going to go down with a guy that isn't of his own choosing.

SABURZFAN
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
It's early in the morning and I have yet to drink coffee.

we don't want to hear any excuses. :shakeno:

i hope they aren't serious about having ANOTHER defense guy as a HC.

RockStar36
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
i don't think its a matter of how many wins. because the jets and panthers were wins, but they looked just as bad as ever in those games.

If fewell tells AVP to open up the playbook and the team actually wins a game by being disciplined with penalties, scores more than 20 points a game, and there are correct coaching calls made game day, he might have a chance.

The team is completely incompetent. He needs to make them look good. if he goes 7-0 and its all veery sloppy, he'll be out.

Furthermore, if the GM rumors are true, he really doesn't have a shot no matter what happens. No GM is going to go down with a guy that isn't of his own choosing.

Any hopes of the offense changing went out the window during Fewell's presser last night when he said "We are who we are".

If the Bills get a new GM, Fewell will have a chance to interview, but I would suspect it would be only to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Michael82
11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
If he wins 5 games or more and the team finished out 8-8...I'd give him another chance, but only like a 2 year deal or something.

Meathead
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
five or more out of the remaining seven would do it

good thing theres no way in hell thats happening

jamze132
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
At this point I am ready for a complete overhaul. It would be more fun to watch the team take shape then to read about some more over-priced and over-rated veterans signing deals with Buffalo.

Seriously though, this team will not win 3 more games so I could give a crap if he's the next greatest thing, I'm ready for a big name to come in here and wreck the ****ing place. I can't stand Fewell's defensive philosphy and I can only imagine how conservative his entire team would be.

BUT, if Fewell can somehow win the last 7 games, it would be hard for me not to want him back. He really has to change my extremely low opinion of him though.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
OK, here's the remaining schedule, and I what I'd expect the team to do in order for the Bills to even consider Fewell remaining as head coach.

@Jacksonville---winnable
vs Miami---winnable
vs NY Jets---winnable
@ KC---winnable
vs NE---a miracle to win
@ Atlanta--- not quite a miracle, but tough
vs INdy--- depends what Indy is doing. They'll probably have home field wrapped up, but if they are still undefeated, they probably won't rest guys

So, I see 4 winnable games, and 3 not-so-winnable.

I'd expect Fewell to win at least 3 of the winnable ones, and one of the miracle games. Anything above 4 wins would be gravy.

More than winning, though, I'd like to see what kind of gameplans he comes up with for divisional games, and how the team responds to him as H.C. His game management and decision making better be a lot better than Jauron's was.

So, after thinking about it, I change my vote to 4 wins, but that shouldn't guarantee him the job, it should at least give him consideration. Obviously if you have a guy like Cowher or Shanahan as REAL options, you can't just hand the job to Fewell.

If the Bills crap the bed the rest of the season, like I fully expect them to do, there's no chance for Fewell, IMO.

Demon
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I really don't think wins will matter much. Russ Brandon will hire a new GM, probably even before the season ends. When the year ends, that GM will break down this entire team and i'm sure Fewell will get an interview no matter how many games he wins, even if he only wins one and we interview him for Rooney rule purposes.

jamze132
11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, the Rooney Rule. Isn't that the one that placates black people? Makes every team looking for a new coach to interview a black guy? What a dumb ****ing rule. Wonder why rascism still exists.

What do you think goes through the minds of these black men when they are called into interview? Do they wonder if it's legitimate? Of course they do, I would. Anything like this just fuels the fire.

Why can't an NFL front office just interview the best candidates for the job? Who gives a **** if they are white, black, Asian, or Chinegro?

I'm so sick of everything rascism. I know the Rooney Rule had a good intention but I think it does more harm than anything.

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
i do not want anyone on this current coaching staff to be here next year. so, i voted no amount is enough.

billsburgh
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
as OP said, "SCORCHED EARTH"

realdealryan
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm worried that Ralph is hoping for a Singletary-type result. Mike went 5-4 and got the job. I'd be willing to bet that 4-3 will get Fewell the job, barring Brandon getting his way and hiring a GM that wants to completely overhaul staff and personnel.

Philagape
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM

This is why I voted at least five. The Bills can luck into a few wins if the other team doesn't show up, but 5-2 would be a miracle with the QBs they have, Plan C at both tackle spots and Byron Scott at LB.

YardRat
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think the decision can be broken down to simply wins and losses.

Let's see how the team plays over the rest of the season and move on from there.

Captain gameboy
11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Doesn't matter to me how many wins he gets.

When our corners quit lining up with a 12 yard cushion on a 3rd and seven, or a ten yard cushion on first down, I'll think about it.

Till then, I want him out of town as fast as possible.

TigerJ
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I am not really expecting Fewell to be a viable candidate for the position, but it's not the Bills' record that I'd be looking at. I'd mostly be looking at the way the team executes during the remainder of the season. If the penalties really drop off and the team plays with more effort and precision, then I'd start to look at him more seriously, as if Ralph Wilson cares how I think.

BillsWin
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Fewell obviously won't be the head coach next season if we are already contacting other options.

MassEffect218435
11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
If he pulls off five of the next seven I think he's more than deserving. Why not? He knows the talent and what's wrong with the team more than anyone you can bring in.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
If Fewell goes 7-0, he can remain as DC. If he loses 1 game, he is fired as HC and DC

ServoBillieves
11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

I give you much love drafty, but this isn't a ****ty roster. The O-Line is shaky, yes, but we have a very deep receiving corp, a phenomenal running back tandem, a good D-Line (thanks to the good D-Line coach) a solid-when-healthy LB corp, and a (when healthy) phenomenal young secondary.

Fix the 2nd DT spot, OLB, and let the line gel with a decent quarterback and, when this team can get a decent strength and conditioning coach, we're pretty damn good.

It all comes down to coaching, non-idiotic decisions (HEY! Let's trade our LT to the Eagles, replace him with our old R... AND HE'S GONE! Toss in the 7th rounder from last year!). Kawika, Poz, and a decent rookie beside them, Hell, even Buggs, Palmer, or Scott works fine. I was very impressed by Scott playing outside. Get a tank in the middle to disrupt and take up 2 lineman along with Stroud, and don't change this O-Line aside from maybe getting someone to replace Levitre or Bell. Levitre is impressive when he's not making a penalty or getting mowed down by getting off the ball slowly. Bell... Bell can play, but he needs to get his damn head in the game.

This team needs fresh talent and experienced reserves, a tough and demanding head coach, and a competent GM.

That's my thoughts at least...

Nighthawk
11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
No more mediocrity!

jamze132
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Let's not forget, Dick Jauron won 4 games in a row to start the season last year and what happened? He got a ****ing 3 years extension. Sorry, but unless Fewell wins out, I'm not interested. He is a "Dick Jauron guy".

Historian
11-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Simple.

Win the Super Bowl and you can stay.

kernowboy
11-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Its not just whether he wins, but also how the team plays.

If we lose, but actually turn up as if it means something then that should be a consideration.

Akhippo
11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
If his staying means the same defensive scheme remains then he has to go. If his staying means that our offensive philosphy stays then he has to go.

Now if he comes in and the penalties go away and I see a change in strategy that turns this team aggressive and smart (not running past the QB if your a DE) then I would give him a sincere interview while waiting to see what kind of coordinators he brings in (not that I would know anyway).

I stilll dont like a coordinator with a bad scheme becoming coach. then you have to worry about can he handle coaching duties and work with a scheme hes not familiar with.