Is bringing in one of the big names the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Is bringing in one of the big names the answer?

Do the Bills really need to bring in Dungy, Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgran, Billick or Gruden? Is that really the answer to the Bills woes? Will any of those names bring a Super Bowl to this team?

This stat has been thrown out before but is worth repeating - no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

I am not advocating "going cheap". But is the biggest name the best answer or are they better off finding the next great coach instead of trying to recycle a guy that was great elsewhere?
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is bringing in one of the big names the answer?

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    Do the Bills really need to bring in Dungy, Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgran, Billick or Gruden? Is that really the answer to the Bills woes? Will any of those names bring a Super Bowl to this team?
    Not unless they bring in some talented players to go along with them.

None of those coaches would have won here the past 6 years with the talent that's on the roster.

Comment

• dannyek71
      Drink Responsibly
      • Dec 2004

A good HC is only 1/2 the answer. We also need a good GM to bring in good players.
      [

Comment

• TedMock
        • Jul 2002

Great point and somebody else mentioned the success of assistant coaches recently in another thread. Harbaugh, Smith, Sparano, Tomlin, Wisenhut, etc. I would certainly love a a big time coach, but more important is a football guy. If it's Russ Grimm, or Ron Rivera, or another assistant, some fans will have their panties in a bunch, but that's just stupid too. If we get a football guy to come in and decide that Grimm, for example, is the man, then I am completely on board. Having said that - we absolutely need for a football guy to come in first, be it a new GM, a new coach, president of football ops, whatever.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

This stat has been thrown out before but is worth repeating - no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

I am not advocating "going cheap". But is the biggest name the best answer or are they better off finding the next great coach instead of trying to recycle a guy that was great elsewhere?
          On a team that has no clue how to win the Sb from the owner all the way down?

Yes, I think real experience with that is huge.

We have seen unproven's come through here time and time again. And I want different. The only thing that's truly different is to add a HC who has been to the SB as a HC and won.

At least then, one of the reasons that a team could fail and not reach the SB, experience getting there, will be covered.

The last time this team had a HC that got us to the SB, we went an unprecedented 4 total times... coincidence? Im not so sure.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

I disagree Dummy... I think the Bills have had adequate talent the past 6 years... I don't think our coaches have had the ability to get the most out of the talent they had to work with.

For example... Having our #11 overall pick ride the pine. GET INNOVATIVE... GET THE KID ON THE FIELD!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era

The last time this team had a HC that got us to the SB, we went an unprecedented 4 total times... coincidence? Im not so sure.
              Big difference. There is no Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, C. Bennett, Shane Conlan, Will Wolford, Kent Hull, House Ballard, etc... on this current team.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by draz54
                I disagree Dummy... I think the Bills have had adequate talent the past 6 years... I don't think our coaches have had the ability to get the most out of the talent they had to work with.
                QB has been a issue since Kelly retired.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Super Bowl?

I'd be happy with a playoff spot, lol.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

No I dont think its the answer, I think its more a PR move.

This team needs to hire smart, motivated, passionate people not just experienced vets. I liken it to how the Falcons re-did their staff. They went out and got one of the top heralded younger execs in the game in Thomas Dimitroff and he hired a fiery coach in Mike Smith. Now look at them.

Id prefer we go that route over a seasoned veteran.
                    COMING SOON...
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Draftboy, I somewhat agree. The problem is, Buffalo has tried that time and time again, and always ends up picking the wrong guys. Gregg was obviously a bad choice, and when they chose Mularkey, they passed on several other co-ordinators who have done very well since then.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                        Draftboy, I somewhat agree. The problem is, Buffalo has tried that time and time again, and always ends up picking the wrong guys. Gregg was obviously a bad choice, and when they chose Mularkey, they passed on several other co-ordinators who have done very well since then.
                        You know how many other teams have failed and yet try try again?

We are not alone in making mistakes at GM and HC. But we shouldn't stop trying imo either.
                        COMING SOON...
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Yes Yes and Defintiely Yes

if for no other reason but to satisfy my need to know the coach we have has won before

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

Yes they need to for the sanity of the fan base. Even if they aren't going to be a repeat Super Bowl champion, this team needs to make the playoffs and needs to be relevant in a way other than signing T.O.

But it isn't the fix all. They pretty much need to rip apart the entire front office, start over, and do it right this time. Ralph needs to relax, hand control over to a smart football person, and let them get the job done.

There is no reason, with the right people in place, that we couldn't be talking about the playoffs next season. There is enough talent on this team to get that ball rolling.

D & S Sports

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

They need to stop hiring defense minded coaches. Let the defense coordinator do their job, and get someone who will drive the offense down the field and score.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X