PDA

View Full Version : Tavern talk: Bills need a team for the elements

Don't Panic
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Michael Lombardi ran a piece on what we should do at this stage of the game. Here's one piece I thought stood out:

Buffalo is on lovely Lake Erie, which has been known to stimulate a few hostile weather changes and create some strong winds, so the type of team that represents the Bills has to be the biggest team in the NFL -- a team that can dominate physically and control both lines of scrimmage because there’s a good chance that half the games will be played in windy, foul weather and only the strong will survive. The Bills must build a size/speed/tough team that can play with intelligence on both sides. Yes, this sounds like a Bill Parcells kind of team, and that’s exactly what they need -- a Parcells type of team.

It’s the only way to go in Buffalo. The Bills have to be able to control the front on both offense and defense to consistently win in their own environment. Building a small, fast team is a nice idea that many have been copied in the league based on the success of the Bucs and Colts, but in Buffalo, this will not work. Jauron wanted a fast defense that could fly to the ball. They did try to get bigger, but it was too late because the foundation of the team had already been laid.
I couldn't agree more. The team should match the identity of the town, for better or worse. This time, we have to build from the lines out. Gritty... smashmouth - these are words that should come to mind when people think of the Bills. Whoever we hire, please let them bring this brand of football. here's the article:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tavern-talk-Bills-need-a-team-for-the-elements-8913.html

trapezeus
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
agreed. the new coach has to get the team out of the practice center in november and december and get them playing in the elements.

the next QB has to throw a tight spiral and not have to put so much air under it to get it to go long.

the team has to embrace the area it plays in and not be like roscoe and lynch who never saw snow until they got here.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Agree 100% and this is why I would love Russ Grimm. He will rebuild the o line, make the d bigger and makes us a smash mouth team.

Historian
11-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes.

k-oneputt
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Cripe most here knew that years ago when they went to this small fast Tampa-2 defense. It amazes me that the people running this team can't fiqure that out. Any time a dt like Ngata doesn't fit your stupid scheme something is wrong.

k-oneputt
11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I hope this means we won't be drafting d-backs, wr's or undersized d-lineman with our premium picks anymore.

BillsWin
11-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Sam Bradford, Anthony Davis, defense, defense, defense, defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamze132
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Anyone with half a brain knows that in order to win in the winter in the NE, you need a team that can pound the rock on offense and stuff it on defense.

OBD has not gotten the message